1 2
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/24/17 11:30 a.m.

Well—isn't that just OUTSTANDING ! ! ! !

Terrific job inside and out. Makes me, at LEAST, want to recover my ancient Twin Reverb in some of that superior cabinet covering.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/17 10:53 p.m.

Time to work on the badge. Back to electro etching. The material is 1"X1/8" flat aluminum stock from Home Depot, lord knows what alloy it is.

It took a lot longer to cook than the pedal enclosure. It seems to prefer to etch along seams, so even after a half hour it wasn't very deep. But it did texture.

This is straight out of the bath. All I did was peel off the mask.

I may try painting the background by shooting the whole thing with paint and sanding down the high spots.

This is the first attempt. I've got another one bubbling away and it seems to be going faster. I may have done a better job of cleaning the surface. The water's getting warm, too. Learning!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/17 10:56 p.m.

Also, a super-cool care package arrived from RossD.

The slogan may talk about progress, but we are firmly mired in the past on this project.

Experimentation lies ahead.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/24/17 11:55 p.m.

Second piece is done. I left this in for about 90 minutes. There was one section by the F in Fender that wasn't etching, and I kept waiting. That's it on the bottom, not yet drilled.

You can see how it was starting to dig under the mask at the tightest spots. Nothing major unless you look up close, but this is just beginning to fail. The e on the upper badge was a masking problem, that was known when it went into the bath.

I'm enjoying this way too much. I want to build some car badges.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/25/17 12:19 a.m.

FYI: Two of those tubes dont match the type printed on the boxes.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
7/25/17 6:10 a.m.

That's some good stuff right there!

Keith Tanner wrote: Also, a super-cool care package arrived from RossD. The slogan may talk about progress, but we are firmly mired in the past on this project. Experimentation lies ahead.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/25/17 9:47 a.m.

Yikes ! Really neat !

Do you have a link to or more info on the electro etching process? I have a dash that would just love to have some "lights," "fan," "fuel pump," plaques fashioned for it and an engine that could use something similar. That process seems to be just what's needed.

Thanks, and great work there !

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/25/17 9:57 a.m.

Googling it will get you an Instructables that everyone else seems to copy. I'll start a new thread because it's buried in my guitar discussions that are not for everyone.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/25/17 10:30 a.m.

Great work. I have a pretty decent store of matched tubes - really old made in the usa stuff - that I keep thinking about doing something with. This thread isn't helping. I wonder when my 2 year old will want to learn guitar and start getting into tubes? She can help me with the assembly.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
7/25/17 11:02 a.m.

In the spirit of enabling- I have a pile of parts that could give you a good start. They are priced fairly (free).

dculberson wrote: Great work. I have a pretty decent store of matched tubes - really old made in the usa stuff - that I keep thinking about doing something with. This thread isn't helping. I wonder when my 2 year old will want to learn guitar and start getting into tubes? She can help me with the assembly.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/26/17 10:26 a.m.

Electro etching thread - includes the final round of experiments.

The badge is done! Next step is to start playing with tubes, but I want to get familiar with the amp a bit first so it'll be a week or two.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/9/17 7:13 p.m.

The actual final badge, since it's actually a Tweed Royal and I'm an idiot.

This thing is really fun to play, by the way. It's got a lot of personality and loads of presence. I'm not going to say "tone", guitar guys won't shut up about tone. But if I were going to say tone, I'd say it had really good tone with lots of sustain and sensitivity. A very interesting contrast to the Peavey Classic 30.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7wl00MIMG9xGdMqNKfdAYayzK0WqrBJjdWKdO8cxJtsehwN5eHJD0cKksh67lFvS