dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/19/23 6:55 a.m.

I'm liking this hustle! 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/19/23 1:43 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

It looks like a plan is coming together. The Fiero is going to a Gambler 500 friend. As long as it fits in the trailer the ACTY would be a great pallet to ship the engine on.

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/22/23 2:17 p.m.

Engine out and safely loaded into the ACTY truck. Quickjacks and a newly purchased Harbor Freight lift table made the process easy. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/23/23 8:15 p.m.

I'm trying to consolidate parts so I tossed the doors back on quick. Now all I can think of is where to plasma cut to start making a kart. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/24/23 2:55 p.m.

And it has arrived and parts swapping has begun. Just loosely fitted bumpers, headlights, taillights, and popped on one of my mirrors. Removed the windshield decal and gave a real quick wipe down of the outside. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/26/23 11:15 p.m.

Managed to organize some stuff in the garage to get it to fit in. 

The plan had been to before the new shell arrived to disassemble the old one, organize and sell all the parts in the garage, then it would be clear. 

Parts are spread out between the two vehicles. 

Just looking at it as a "complete" vehicle has motivated me a bunch. Even slightly to consider a different swap that has been done a little more than the 4.2 V8. I love the 3.2l VR6 in my TT so that's a possibility or the VW 1.8t. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/28/23 7:03 p.m.

some hope for the dashboard...

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/28/23 7:16 p.m.

Picking up a silver bumper next week so the bulk of the exterior will be color matched, plus the blue bumper has a crack through it from the original crush. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/29/23 7:24 p.m.

The driver seat was unbolted. The passenger side was not. And the switches removed. But the power was unhooked and I looked to the drivers seat of where to look for power wires. Hooked up my jump pack and some wires and tried some until I got it forward to get the rear bolts out. 

To say the car is clean look at the seat bases. The blue shell was clean but the frames had rust on them. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/29/23 11:14 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

If you haven't taken one of these apart yet, dghii posted a great DIY years ago. This says "part 1", I don't think there ever was a part 2 and it's not really needed.

Boxster Seat Disassembly Procedure Part 1 of 2

Even though the leather is shot on those, new covers from lseat could make them nice if the padding is in good shape. Reupholstering boxster seats lseat kit

Oh look, here's your car: Replacement Leather seat covers

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/30/23 4:03 p.m.

I haven't take a seat apart yet. But I'll use that write up when I do. My plan is to sell these seats and when it's closer to complete I want to pick up a set of Corbeau RRX seats with the black/white plaid inserts. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
7/30/23 4:13 p.m.

Got some more little stuff done today. 

Hub and steering wheel on. When the PO put vice grips on he did so on the splines not above. A little massaging needed.

Put the windows back in. Had to use three screws from my regulators for the clamps. Only found one in the door. Used switches from the blue car. 

Took the passenger door latch from my blue shell and installed it.

Passenger side mirror back on as well. Had to do some massaging with a hammer. Seems like he forgot a screw when taking it off and just tried pulling, it was mushroomed out and the mirror wouldn't sit flush . 

Put the diagonal braces back in, they were in the trunk. Now it rolls a lot smoother. And now I have a free heavy duty strap he had on there to help hold the suspension together. 

While underneath tied up a bunch of the loose stuff that was dragging before as well. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/11/23 6:25 p.m.

So possible change of plans. 1.8t swaps been done more. So I'm considering grabbing a 1.8t New Beetle to grab the engine from and do that as a swap. Checking on one now. If it's a AWP engine code (should be) then I can get a Haltech ECU with a plug and play connector to the VW engine harness. 

For the price of the possible donor I should be able to quickly part out a couple things from it and make my purchase price back on it. 

Then I may still do a 4.2 V8 into the first blue Boxster or something else. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/12/23 1:39 p.m.

Making a call on the Beetle today if it's an AWP engine code. Meaning I could buy this:  https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-140970-elite-1500-vw-audi-1-8t-awp-only-2001-2006/

and it would get it running pretty easily. 

Engine mount for a 1.8t is pretty straightforward, easy clutch and starter setup. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/13/23 9:15 a.m.

New heart incoming. 99% on picking this up today. 

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
8/14/23 2:18 a.m.

Love where you are going with this.

Looking forward to the swap and the driving impressions!

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/25/23 8:59 a.m.

Well I should be grabbing the New Beetle this weekend. Trouble with U-Haul renting a tow dolly. But then I remembered I do know someone with a car trailer. He offered it when I was buying my kei trucks but it's an open center and the trucks were too narrow. 

I got more parts organized and some swapped over to the silver shell. 

The plan now is. 
Silver - 1.8t powered, lightened street car.

Blue - 4.2 V8 caged and lifted goof around vehicle. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/25/23 7:38 p.m.

Almost ready for tomorrow. Borrowed the drop hitch as well. But he was hauling with a Ram dually and the Touareg sits lower. I have the right size ball myself. I'll swap it around in the morning on my drop. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/26/23 8:37 p.m.

Made the trip safely. About 225 miles round trip. When I went to look at it first I took back roads and the Taconic Parkway. But with the trailer I couldn't. 

Decided to take the longer distance way but 90% highway. Good choice. Google Maps tried to convince me to head across y to he Mid-Hudson bridge and Route 55 through Poughkeepsie. I went to college at Marist. I know the route. It's not bad but decided to just stay on 87 to 84. Much easier cruising the right lane 65 mph. 

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
8/26/23 10:14 p.m.

Let the heart transplant begin!

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
8/28/23 11:28 a.m.

Well hooked up my scanner (VCDS) and pulled the ECU part number. It's not an AWP engine code, so no easy plug and play. 

With the way my days going, I'm just about ready to scrap the whole 1.8t route now. 

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
9/3/23 5:09 p.m.

Well this week has brought another potential project into the mix and the loser is the blue shell. If I can unload it quickly then I can bring another car home. 

I'm going to pull off the radiators I need for the silver project and whatever few remaining parts I can think of. Kinda hoping I can sell the wheels with a shell attached for what I need to get the other car. 

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
9/4/23 7:31 a.m.

Sorry to hear the Bettle didn't work. Maybe you can just pass it on to the next owner and look again, maybe carrying the scan tool with?

Wonder what this new project might be that intrigued you that much to replace the 'Cartxter'

dan0
dan0 HalfDork
9/4/23 8:19 a.m.

Well it can still work, just a little more work.

Plus one reason I bought it was the "color concept" interior. Limited for 2003 only 2000 in each color and only 500 of that were manual transmission cars. So hoping I can earn back my purchase in just selling the interior. I'm even flirting with the idea of putting a clutch in it and running it in the GRM challenge next year.

The car I'm looking at is boring in the traditional sense. Audi A4 Avant. Of all the registered cars I have my TT is the most practical / fuel efficient now and I'd rather keep some miles off it and drive something else this winter. I'd let it slide but I've been looking at this one in marketplace for over a month and the guy is getting desperate, even mentioned thinking about scrapping it. So I messaged him yesterday and basically said please don't scrap it, I'll see what I can do to make space and the $ for it. 

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
9/5/23 2:38 p.m.

Just a heads up, the engine code is stamped on a little tab on the side of the head, you should be able to get any reasonable seller to take a photo for you

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ow8uqQCDChYqHGP4Pe861V9wYTMqKcQgWBuSA89gnKCpegsb97739efNXXIBOeRi