1 2
garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/10/22 9:11 p.m.

I have always wanted a G8 since they originally came out. This one got traded in at work, where it was first purchased, and I couldn't resist! I bought it back last fall and have enjoyed using it as my everyday driver. It had roughly 160k on it when I got it and we are closing in on 170k now. 

The car was all stock except a set of coilovers. I changed the wheel first as two of the stock ones were bent terribly. These wheels are off like a 2020 4pot Camaro, and really make the car look a lot more modern. I had a lot of wheels laying around to choose from, but these looked the best!

I really wanted the C8 wheels but they just didn't look right.

These where just the wrong color.

More to come!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
7/10/22 9:22 p.m.

what year model ? manual or auto? love these 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/10/22 9:45 p.m.

Is that a GXP? Buddy of mine has one. It's totally awesome. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
7/11/22 6:29 a.m.

Ahhh unicorns DO exist!   

agreed on the wheels.  Great choice 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/11/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's an 09 GT. Currently auto, but that is part of the more part! Best part about this car is I got it from the original owner who was meticulous. It's probably the nicest 170k G8 in the world. Haha!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
7/11/22 8:59 a.m.

Wow...those wheels really do transform the car! It looks great! One of these or a Chevy SS would be so much fun!

iansane
iansane Dork
7/11/22 10:23 a.m.

Love G8's.

How many people have manual swapped them?

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
7/11/22 1:58 p.m.

the gxp was the only version that came "stock" manual.  at only 1400 or so made, the parts you probably need are probably extremely expensive unless someone came out with a kit.  Always loved these cars way back when.  

Then i loved the Chevy SS too. (and the GTO prior). 

iansane
iansane Dork
7/11/22 2:25 p.m.
Mad_Ratel said:

the gxp was the only version that came "stock" manual.  at only 1400 or so made, the parts you probably need are probably extremely expensive unless someone came out with a kit.  Always loved these cars way back when.  

Then i loved the Chevy SS too. (and the GTO prior). 

A pedal box from an aussie version not an option? Oh, I guess since it's opposite side drive that might cause an issue. Wonder if it's the same as(or modifiable) from the GTO or SS. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/11/22 9:50 p.m.

The G8 shares a lot with 5th gen Camaros so that helps a lot! 

The front brakes where shot. Perfect opportunity to to upgrade! I pieced together a CTSV1 front kit. Basically you use CTSV1 calipers (mostly because they are cheaper and easier to find than than GXP Calipers which are the exact same except they say BREMBO instead of "V.")

Everything else is factory GXP front brakes. Make sure to get new caliper mounting bolts! They are different thread than the stock GT caliper. I think ZZP has a kit with everything, but I built my own for roughly $50 less. This was last fall so prices maybe up now. I had about $400 in the brakes with all new parts minus hoses, which I reused. I did have to add 5mm spacers and longer studs for my wheels to clear, but that is a wheel by wheel issue. You will need 19"+ wheels for sure though. Mine are 20" and still need a spacer. 

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/17/22 8:22 p.m.

I also added a GXP lower rear "diffuser." It's kinda a subtle change, I'm going for factory + kind of look. 

OE

GXP

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/19/22 7:33 p.m.

So I have tried to convince myself several times that an automatic is "fine" for DD duty and failed every time. I did the usual LS contemplation and thought "I'll just do a small cam and DOD delete and I'll be happy." However the more miles I put on this rig, the more I could see that a proper Transmission would take it from great to perfect. I have owned both a E90 and a C5 Corvette, and this car really takes all the things I loved about both of those cars and combines them. 

As I dug around several people have completed the swap, and since the GXP was offered with the TR6060 from the factory it should be "easy." Thus I began to scheme. 

Honda_newb
Honda_newb New Reader
7/20/22 10:36 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember you being able to use basically all 5th gen camaro parts and a few commodore parts to make it all work fairly cheaply no?

garaithon
garaithon Reader
7/22/22 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Honda_newb :

This is mostly a true statement. The biggest difference is the trans is supposedly an inch and a half longer in the Camaro. It is apparently workable, but definitely complicates things. 

I am using a brand new unit for a GXP. I'll make a list of all the parts I am using and what they came from. Most of them are OE GXP. I'll try and be as photogenic as possible too!

BLRB
BLRB New Reader
7/22/22 1:13 p.m.

I'm excited to watch this project.  Car looks great!  I used to have a 2016 Chevy SS 6MT and can confirm the transmissions are slightly different than 5G Camaro transmissions.  Don't forget to install a remote bleeder while you are installing the  TR6060.  

iansane
iansane Dork
7/22/22 1:15 p.m.

In reply to garaithon :

Yeeeessss. I don't understand peoples abhorrence to manual swaps. Newer cars like this people get their undies in a wad exclaiming it can't be done and it's not worth it. As an avid manual swapper I support this. Especially since I've always wanted one of othese or an SS. Can't wait to see what you do.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
8/12/22 9:11 p.m.

Looks like we are going to try and complete the swap over Labor Day weekend at work! I have everything on hand that I think we will possibly need. 

We are also swapping in a new GM crate "495" LS3 at the same time! Anybody interested in an Aluminum 6.0l and 6l80 with 169k?

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
8/12/22 9:22 p.m.
garaithon said:

Looks like we are going to try and complete the swap over Labor Day weekend at work! I have everything on hand that I think we will possibly need. 

We are also swapping in a new GM crate "495" LS3 at the same time! Anybody interested in an Aluminum 6.0l and 6l80 with 169k?

OHY!!!! BRING IT!!!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/13/22 1:00 p.m.
garaithon :

We are also swapping in a new GM crate "495" LS3 at the same time!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/13/22 1:01 p.m.
garaithon said:

Anybody interested in an Aluminum 6.0l and 6l80 with 169k?

Well, who wouldn't be?

I'll send you a text.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
9/1/22 9:37 p.m.

Took the car out last weekend to do some trails with the kids. 

Gravel is fun!

Engine and Transmission swap starts tomorrow!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/1/22 9:48 p.m.

Dude I'm digging the E36M3 outta those mudflaps.....have safe and peaceful labor day.....no skinned knuckles

garaithon
garaithon Reader
9/2/22 6:19 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yea the mudflaps are definitely need with the more aggressive offset wheels. They are actually for an SS since the G8 ones are discontinued. The fronts are a direct fit but the rear bumper is shaped a bit different between the two cars. A little eye balling and an extra hole  will get them on there. 

They also have tiny Holden emblems on them, even though they are right out of the Chevy SS accessory catalog! 

iansane
iansane Dork
9/2/22 10:19 a.m.

Oh, hell yeah.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
9/3/22 6:41 a.m.

Things are very apart. 

Hopefully have it back on the ground today!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wpIAdqgPjSofcdbyDtJnIrpX1MVVeZE3ZCFaeyKTDQwrrHmlTVOnZAdULmGa1kKT