1 2 3 4 5
GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
5/9/24 11:45 p.m.

May I suggest replacing your hood prop stick with either a Knight's sword/ lance or a Wizard staff. Because Dragon! Stoked on this car. 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/10/24 10:46 p.m.

Had to slurp some water out of hard to reach places

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/11/24 10:38 a.m.

New carpet kit ordered 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
5/11/24 10:39 a.m.
EricM said:

Having trouble getting the carpet glue off the floor.  Thinking of renting a dry ice blaster, but at $500 a day, is there a grm method I don't know about?

Tried white vinegar and water, but no luck with that.

Thanks

The blaster would be faster, but you can buy some dry ice and let it sit on the areas you want to remove then chip/chisel it off the chassis. 

The place near me is ~$30 for 20 lbs of dry ice. Having done cold testing of electronics and a bunch of times be real careful with the stuff. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/11/24 11:05 a.m.

This thing is wild. I had an 87 NA years ago. Cool car but my brain couldn't deal with the differences in what is considered "normal" from the Japanese cars I had been dealing with before it. 

I am really excited to watch this one!

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
5/11/24 11:59 a.m.
EricM said:

New carpet kit ordered 

Where did you order from? I may end up ordering one too. 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/11/24 12:30 p.m.
dyintorace said:
EricM said:

New carpet kit ordered 

Where did you order from? I may end up ordering one too. 

https://newark-auto.com/products/1983-91-porsche-944-complete-auto-carpet-kit

I just ordered this one.  Looks like 10 days for them to "make it" and then 3 days shipping.   I abondoned my shopping kart overnight and they emailed me a free shipping code the next day, lol, so try that.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
5/11/24 1:41 p.m.
EricM said:

Wow.

I'm assuming there's a deluxe edition VHS copy of "Beastmaster" tucked away in there somewhere.

Or cocaine.

With your proposed LS swap this is perfect in every way that matters.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/12/24 8:44 p.m.

this thing snorkeled it's own oil through everything.  there is oil in the coolant, there is oil in the intake there is oil in the head.  Oil.

Also full house today with mother's day.  

We are continuing to strip int down.  We found two mouse nests. 

We pulled the rear glass and have that in the basement where we will strip the tint and the non working rear window defroster elemnt.

Oh we spun it back around again so the cherry picker can grab the engine easily.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/12/24 9:12 p.m.

Oh, the oil pan bolt is so striped it is round.  Can't even get vice grips on it.  Tried with an extractor tool, but we will need to weld a nut on the end of the nut and pull it that way.  If that doesn't work I am going to drill a hole in the pan, lol.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/13/24 9:44 p.m.

"coolant"   Every fluid is mixed, gas, oil, coolant, windshield wiper fluid, rain water, spit, tree sap, you name it. 

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/14/24 5:33 p.m.

Pulled the florescent bulbs/rods, and now sweeping up all the glass they left.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/14/24 6:33 p.m.

Radiator out

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/15/24 4:19 p.m.

Just got an email that the carpet kit has a shipping label, they say three day shipping from FedExGround so we will see if we haveit by Saturday, I am betting on Monday.

We are going to try some of the Citrus based cleaner for the inside of the car.  Should probably order up some dynomat.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
5/16/24 9:15 a.m.

You'll definitely want to put some sort of thermal barrier on the firewall and/or inside the cabin too.  My Ls6/944 was brutally oven hot in the cockpit, especially the pedal box, and is one of the things I most regretted NOT doing...

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/16/24 9:10 p.m.

Ok so the carpet didn't ship yet, rather the shipping lable was printed.

I hate that.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/18/24 12:45 p.m.

I got the car at a height it was easier to get under.  The drain pan bolt is still molecularly fused to the pan.  

I got the rest of the windshield sticker glue off with a razer blade and glass cleaner.   When the sun hits it just right you can just barley make out the "PORSCHE"  I guess glass fades over time?

The Carpet showed up :)  it is super light, if you are trying to reduce weight in your car, do the carpet last, it literally weighs nothing.  Also is smells vaguely like the icecream machine at McDonald's that I had to clean back when I was a Teen.  Not  Unpleasant, just a slight "non dairy" ice cream smell.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/18/24 9:20 p.m.

This afternoon's activities were to continue the pulling of parts.  Power steering pump, Starter, AC pump, headlights, exhaust.

Oil was everywhere it wasn't suppose to be and nowhere it was suppose to be.

Confession: this is the first time I have cut anything off of a car.  I sawzalled the exhaust.

I will try to sell the header as it is cast iron and is not prone to cracking like the later tube steel ones.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/18/24 10:25 p.m.

The actual muffler is a "Hooker".  I wonder if it will make it's way back on the car, lol

Probably just hang it on the wall.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/18/24 11:14 p.m.

In reply to EricM :

The "Porsche" left in the glass is likely the laminate, not the actual glass

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/19/24 1:48 p.m.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/19/24 1:49 p.m.

Two packs weren't cutting it, so a 10 pack was in order

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/19/24 7:25 p.m.

Big Day.

First, I drilled a hole in the oil pan and let it drain.  The pan itself is pretty beat up.  The fact that the bolt is striped so badly is probably why the oil is so thick, people tried to get the nut off and gave up.

Pulled the gauge cluster, the plan is to reuse all the guages, we like the retro look of them.  I don't think this car had Hi beams, lol.

The dash had a dash cover on it, and it was cracked, of course, all dashes on 944s are cracked.  In the photo you can see the corner of the KilzMat for insulation and sound deadening.

Then the original dash came out, pretty beat up, 40 years in the sun will do that to ya.

Things we found behind the dash

1) an electric "sink" to capture all the stray electrons.

2)  What may be a remote start, or a second alarm

3) the factory alarm

4) other vacuum to electric things

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/19/24 7:27 p.m.

For all of you who have lost a 10mm socket in your project cars, we have balance in the world.

WE FOUND A 10mm SOCKET in the dash.

EricM
EricM UltraDork
5/19/24 7:28 p.m.

And like all good project cars, it is now piled with stuff.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7zKXSbGueGXcLoTsaSVJetMNfVNarvlc7EJprAnTZbT82PuP3mdJfUFj8XukRzG