4 5 6 7 8
jakeb
jakeb Reader
6/27/13 9:38 p.m.

Put the rear calipers back together after coat.

Thought I had more sound deadening....nope. Have to order some more. Then it is get covered with DEI heat shield.

The plan was to fully weld the headers today but I couldn't find the big cups for my tig welder the other day....I was hoping they would be here today, nope. Maybe tomorrow.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/1/13 1:09 p.m.

Today is tig welding day....welding headers and waiting on UPS.

Sorry for the bad picture...not sure what happened here. Anyway the headers are stainless so they need to be back purged with argon. Here is my back purge setup for a single tube.

Passenger side tubes all welded

A bead shot...might be a tad hot here.

On to the drivers side. Doesn't look like much but it's slow moving work. FUn stuff tho

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/1/13 4:22 p.m.

Better picture of the back purge...argon comes in the left and then there is a stopper in the right side of the tube.

I use a small torch but a Large Gas lens with the biggest cup I can get so that the weld has a nice blanked of argon.

Drivers side runners...all but one are done. I ran out of Argon....already have a filled tank but no more time today.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/2/13 10:37 a.m.

More welding today...all the runners are done and putting the headers back together. Inside the collector gets a merge bullet.

They start with 4 little peices

Go into this little jig

Tacked

Welded

cleaned up

I forgot to snap a pic of the bullet on the header...inside for lunch at the moment. I'll get some more in a bit.

Runner welded to the flange. They will get fully welded inside the flange for the most part. That little drop must be from the end of the filler...that will get knocked off there.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
7/2/13 11:20 a.m.

That looks like so much fun... And it's beautiful!

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/2/13 12:58 p.m.

Those merge bullets were fun to make.

The Merge Bullet on the header

Collector isn't welded yet but just to get the idea..

Welding for hours on end gets a little boring so I changed it up....also bending over the bench gives you a sore neck. I need something to raise the work piece higher when welding.

Anyway...first a sound deadening material went on the firewall.

Then a heat shield material. I have done this same setup on 2 cars before this and it has worked great.

Bad picture but heater hoses going to their new homes. Brake lines back in place.

Still unsure if I will come up through the battery tray for the heater hoses or not but this does look to be the cleanest route.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/3/13 11:56 a.m.

Welding the Vbands to the collectors

Showing the bead

Headers just about done...just need to weld the collectors on. That might wait until they are back in the car so I can get the angle I want. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XnQDvE0NYOM/UdQsfUTT66I/AAAAAAAAHQ8/mAzyw1fs0aI/s640/IMAGE_189.jpeg" alt="" />

Merge Bullet on the drivers side

Put the front calipers all back together

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/9/13 8:15 p.m.

Long weekend away at tedfest vintage BMW show near Toronto. Back at the e36...hoping to have it running early next week. Getting very close!

Headers on the engine so I can get the collectors in just the right spot.

Engine back in the car to figure out collectors...forgot to get a pic with the collectors on there.

Drivers side header all welded up and ready to go

Swapped to a new oil pan rather than my mock up pan

New windage tray and oil pickup

Jigging the mounts

Jigging the shifter carrier

This isn't a very good picture but I really like how stock everything is looking.

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
7/9/13 8:25 p.m.

This looks really great, keep it up!

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/10/13 4:28 p.m.

Headers are FULLY welded now.

Simple little power steering line made

Fitting at the rack

Guess I didn't get a pic of the fitting at the pump.

Oil PSI sensor

Driveshaft showed up...m3 rear section, camaro front section, new ujoints, etc etc

All the exhaust supplies...minus the tubing. All stainless

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
7/10/13 5:43 p.m.

Patience will answer the question for me - but can't wait. How are you going to use those two mufflers to configure the exhaust?

I once had a Magnaflow and a SpinTech muffler on my car when I had a single exhaust on it....

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/10/13 6:02 p.m.

Looking great!

What did you use for heatshield over the sound barrier. I would like to use some of that when I change the clutch on my car.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/10/13 8:00 p.m.

thanks! The heat shield is DEI tunnel and floor shield. I get it at summit.

Slippery
Slippery Reader
7/10/13 11:10 p.m.
jakeb wrote: thanks! The heat shield is DEI tunnel and floor shield. I get it at summit.

Thanks!

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/11/13 8:38 p.m.

Looking so nice in the freshly painted bay

Today was spent building the exhaust...

X-pipe into Spintech

Sure is fun to tig...

From the headers it goes to magnaflow metallic cats, X pipe, then a spintech

Back half...at the back of the car before the tips is a dual in dual out magnaflow.

This was the LAST piece that went in to make it all work. Had to do this runner a few times before I was happy with it.

I must say this is the BEST exhaust system I have ever built. I am blown away every time I look at it. REALLY happy with how it all came together. I wish I had some hangers to get some better pictures rather than things being held up with jacks, etc. Next step everything will be fully welded. the two pipes from the spintech to the magnaflow need to be welded apart from the system as they are pretty close to each other in a couple spots and won't be able to get the tig torch in there. Everything will get fully welded then go back up and hangers will be added. Along with the tips.

Shooting to be firing her up next week.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
7/11/13 11:57 p.m.

That's absolutely gorgeous work...

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/12/13 6:19 a.m.

thanks

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/12/13 6:27 a.m.

You make my build thread look like a four year old with legos, dude.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
7/12/13 8:07 a.m.

That is superb, gorgeous work!

I have to say I almost shed a tear of joy when I saw you took the time to back-purge the header pipes. Most people don't understand why you should do that. And the merger bullet jig. Nice!

I can't believe this isn't your day job. Keep it up.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
7/12/13 8:19 a.m.

X3 on the exhaust. One question though - why install the X-pipe when the SpinTech piece accomplishes the same thing just inches away?

Edit - at least I THINK it allows the flow to mingle from side to side....

Harvey
Harvey New Reader
7/12/13 9:53 a.m.

Good grief, I want one.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
7/12/13 10:16 a.m.

Where'd you get the stamped stainless x-pipe? I've seen them before, but I've never seen where people are buying them. I also dig that jig for making the bullets, you make that or buy it somewhere? Cool tool. Thanks for the good documentation, your work looks great...keep it up!

Bryce

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/12/13 10:59 a.m.

After seeing the exhaust come together, I would really really like to hear how this thing sounds.

Scared to think how much it would cost to hire this sort of thing out, from the headers to everything else.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/12/13 4:01 p.m.

thanks for the awesome words guys! Sometimes I even impress myself.

Well during the summer it is my day job...so.
Talking to spintech they still suggest an X pipe. They say it helps with scavenging and will make a bit more power. I sorta thought I wouldn't need one as the spintech is open inside. Well sorta open.

Back purge, for sure man! Gotta to get nice welds with stainless.

The X pipe is from summit..it's a magnaflow piece. They have a couple different styles.

It should be pretty quiet.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
7/12/13 4:02 p.m.

Went up north to the lake for a little bit this morning with the fam. Got home and my son was ready for a nap so I had some time to do some welding.

These are the two pipes that go from the center muffler to the back of the car...all welded now.

Center section off the car ready to be welded up.

Welding sure is like meditation.....

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uN5QPjkDIdlrgtGJGFZCE8UMSisTgopMH4zgftRYlK7y6e9bVb51hgryymkI46XG