1 2 3
gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/12/23 9:09 p.m.

I'm currently in the process of a GSXR-1000 powered Europa twin cam special build. I'm farming out the chassis to a shop that has experience in F1000 cars and Europas, because  I'd spend 5 times as long to end up with an inferior product. But I'm doing the bodywork, wiring, and interior myself. When finished it should have around 200hp at 1200lbs. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/12/23 9:10 p.m.

You'll fit in perfectly here with the sheer volume of repowered europas

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/12/23 9:11 p.m.

Chassis in progress photos. Includes a custom seat frame to stiffen the chassis and maybe add a tiny bit of side impact safety

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/12/23 9:12 p.m.

my first time ever touching a sewing machine, could be worse could be better

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/12/23 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Patrick : funny thing is, the car I bought was an in progress swap already lol. A supercharged ecotec swap that was abandoned due to the previous owners passing. I'm gonna sell the engine plus the 5 speed transaxle to recoup some costs

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/12/23 9:33 p.m.

Currently have a set of Bassett lightweight Steelies. Anyone have experience with Keizer 3 piece wheels for road course use? Or recommendations for 4x100 13x6-7 wheels under 12 pounds(the weight of the bassets) 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/12/23 9:50 p.m.

That's a fairly tall motor. I hope it fits under the cover. Looks like you're doing some nice work there! 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
6/12/23 9:57 p.m.

You using a starter motor for reverse? Curious to see the rear suspension.and differential setup...the one I am doing has a turbocharged Twin Cam

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/12/23 10:05 p.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Using a dune buggy gearbox, has a reverse gear built in. No differential, but I'm used to that with my Formula 600 car, just need to tune the suspension appropriately. Quaife makes one with a lsd, but it's more expensive and would take a couple months to get

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/12/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Welcome! You've definitely found your way to the right place. This forum is full of "never done this before, so here goes!" I'm looking forward to following along. 

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
6/12/23 11:19 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Compomotive wheels. 13x7 just under 11 lbs

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
6/13/23 7:34 a.m.

Looking forward to updates on this, should be interesting!

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
6/13/23 8:24 a.m.

Yes, another saved Europa!

There was a guy on eBay selling a "kit" to put a bike engine into a Europa - did you start from that or is this a scratch build? I thought he was selling just the metal bits at one point in time, but this is all I can find now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255731236421?hash=item3b8ac4fe45:g:M~oAAOSwhA9kE~Au

Keep us up to speed on your build!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/13/23 8:27 a.m.

Fantastic!  Watching with interest...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/13/23 8:29 a.m.
gixxeropa said:

Chassis in progress photos. Includes a custom seat frame to stiffen the chassis and maybe add a tiny bit of side impact safety

I like that you called that a "custom seat frame".  Others have called similar frames "roll bars" or "roll cages".  They are not. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
6/13/23 8:30 a.m.

... is it inappropriate to ask so soon? Can you tell us more about your rear end?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/13/23 8:33 a.m.

I don't know about 13" wheels, but I have come across "Centerline Forged" wheels in 15" size and they were under 11 lb.  I've had my hands on two sets over the years and in both instances I bought them pretty cheap.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
6/13/23 9:49 a.m.

You may have issues fitting that chassis to your TC body.  What's pictured is an S2 chassis, the TC has a flat top to the front crossmember, and is wider where the chassis Y's out.  

If it is who I think it is building it for you, I'm curious to see how it handles.  From the photo's of the EBay seller, the upper rear suspension link looks very short and may give some odd camber changes under bump and droop.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/13/23 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

Yeah, he's the one working on the chassis for me. He'll do anything from just a package including the metal bits to a fully functional car

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/13/23 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

The rear is a Tom pro gearbox. Has a reverse gear and no differential

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/13/23 12:58 p.m.

In reply to RoddyMac17 :

I'm expecting to have to make some modifications to the body, but we'll see how it goes. If it ends up being too much we've got a couple S2 bodies hidden behind the  tree row 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/13/23 5:12 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

Currently have a set of Bassett lightweight Steelies. Anyone have experience with Keizer 3 piece wheels for road course use? Or recommendations for 4x100 13x6-7 wheels under 12 pounds(the weight of the bassets) 

I've put some miles on a set of magnesium Keizer three piece wheels in a Fiat X1/9. They'd suit just fine for your project. I don't recall the weight but I do know it was single digit pounds each. 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
6/13/23 5:32 p.m.

I'm following along.  This should be great.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/13/23 7:11 p.m.

Brilliant!

gixxeropa
gixxeropa New Reader
6/14/23 1:29 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Great thanks! I just didn't wanna drop that much money if they weren't gonna last long in my use case

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wsNX1tXcLJkLFyljebpNZfLvcaxeOsyHpgwpY0e2PeqBQ52R7G1oZmE8OmARTpM6