1 2 3 4
johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/25/24 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

Agreed, all this work without getting it running was cause for a bit of concern myself.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
6/25/24 10:16 p.m.

I give up verbally WAYYYY before I actually give up for real. 

It's starting, running, coolant burped, and the slave cyl is shot so I can't easily get it into gear. I'll get another one tomorrow. Friday I am going to go to the DMV and try to get this thing Antiqued so I can start ripping down the alley in it. 

Susp and brakes are next on the list. And I bought a buffer for the hazy paint. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
6/27/24 10:01 p.m.

Kids are all home now. I got the talon turned around. Warmed it up and did some celebratory spoolup revs lol. 

Today was a good ending. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
6/29/24 5:30 p.m.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
7/1/24 6:41 a.m.

What are your plans with it then?

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/1/24 7:54 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

Make like 450-500whp and cruise around, with a smile and some tears! 

More....meaty things and stuff

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
7/1/24 8:06 a.m.

no plans to track it or anything?

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/1/24 11:24 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

Nah not this thing. This is just a street car for fun. Maybe one day I'll track my mirage. 

The street is free and tracks cost money and the view isn't as nice. That always held me back lol. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/1/24 8:53 p.m.

Work work work work work

Bottom cops of the coils are too large. Gonna chuck em in the lathe tomorrow and fix that up quick, then the front will be down and fitted! 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/2/24 8:14 p.m.

And now.....the fitment 

​​​​

[url=https://postimg.cc/7bXjPXCm]

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/3/24 7:45 a.m.

oh damn, that looks so good.  That was always a big head-scratcher for me-  Mitsubishi/DSM put out some wickedly awesome cars in the 90s/00's, but never seemed to figure out how to get rid of MASSIVE wheel gaps from factory.  I remember seeing my first 3000gt, and remarking at how unreasonably high the ride height was. 

That looks freaking amazing though. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/4/24 10:58 p.m.

I slacked off today. 

Installed the coolant overflow bottle, put new hose clamps on some stuff, buffed the paint in some areas to see what came up, and I painted the spyders hood prop. Tomorrow I'm hoping to have the slave cyl and as line on and have the car moving. 

It's now plated antique and road legal :)

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/5/24 6:09 p.m.

Bled the slave cylinder. Took awhile had disengagement issues. Slave and master are moving the clutch fork, but the clutch fork is not sitting in the right location. Master is adjusted all the way out. So that means one thing: You have to shim the pivot ball to move the lever over. Just a big washer basically. 

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........I have to drop the trans to add the washer. 

Soooooooooooo this car will not be on the road until it's NOT 92° OUTSIDE. I'm not dropping a trans in this heat. 

I'll keep futzing with the susp and E36 M3 but I'm going to have to do a bunch of not fun things and drop the trans out. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/7/24 8:44 p.m.

Welp, I got a box fan and it kept me cool enough to.....yeah

I found some much E36 M3 wrong, I can't believe this was on the road. Like missing bolts and E36 M3

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/8/24 8:07 p.m.

Love this thread, so great to see the progress on it

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/11/24 11:26 a.m.

Got some hardware, spacers, shims, and cleaned up the case. I have to finish cleaning, get some redline mt-90, and get this shimmed and back up in! 

ETA: junkyard run for small parts....grabbed gas door items, and some nice clean 3g eclipse floor mats, which fit nicely. I also got some mt-90!

Trans was painted, motor mount restored and upgraded. Painted the bolts that were cleaned up so they don't rust, and did some more frame rail area clean up and fresh paint 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/15/24 9:53 a.m.

Final trans reinstall issues, seeing other issues as well. Taking time to unfvck this car as I keep hitting issues that need fixed. Pressure plate looks weird. Fingers are not evenly tensioned and they are flat. 

I ordered a new.......$385......pressure plate. Grrrr. As u can tell, the clutch is almost new. I actually put this in back in 2019 or so. 

image hosting site

BillCuttitta
BillCuttitta New Reader
7/16/24 11:59 a.m.

In reply to HaveBlue83 :

This has GRM Challenge written all over it. 

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
7/16/24 2:21 p.m.

How do you like that mt90. I have been considering switch my fluid from Synchromesh to the Mt.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/16/24 10:40 p.m.

In reply to chiquito1228 :

That's what DSM guys all use. It's good stuff. 

Proper new PP is here and u can see the difference 

So it's 3am...and it's in 😂 😂 😂 

I ended up having to remove the shims. The new PP is properly sprung and will work. The fork is aligned and it's all in. I'll finish up the rest this week and maybe this weekend get a pic of it out of the garage and driving. 

I have to do brakes and some rear suspension stuff and new tires. Getting down to it. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
7/17/24 8:28 a.m.

What kind of paint did you use on the trans? It looks amazing

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/17/24 12:52 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Rust-Oleum 7271 silver metallic. I REALLY like this color. Looks like a new trans. 

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/22/24 11:08 p.m.

Awaiting rad hoses and caliper paint.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
7/23/24 9:53 p.m.

Might just buy new rear calipers and brake lines too......these look like I should just do that. 

Was prepping for caliper paint that just came in but now I'm like....imma hit the $120 easy button for new. Here's the back end pre clean up, rotors are now off:

greenshot download

84FSP
84FSP PowerDork
7/24/24 11:26 a.m.

Massive progress sir - making us slackers look bad.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RVWpE8FoltpF9lf63tmC6DvjvSITHnH4TZyHDFHheNIDPtWaUiM0LCf6kPwKluDG