1 2 3 4
metty
metty New Reader
12/1/20 11:44 a.m.

More siding has gone in now as well as soffit. Also the spray foam guys are here finally! If I could just get the garage door we would be in business 

metty
metty New Reader
12/1/20 2:53 p.m.

Foam is done! If I could just get the dang garage door I could turn the heat on!

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
12/1/20 3:27 p.m.

Do you mind sharing your lumber costs per square foot, excluding siding and roofing material? I'm in the planning stages of a detached garage and I got a shocking number from my usual lumber supplier that isn't matching up even to the high prices at the big box stores. 

metty
metty New Reader
12/1/20 6:40 p.m.
newrider3 said:

Do you mind sharing your lumber costs per square foot, excluding siding and roofing material? I'm in the planning stages of a detached garage and I got a shocking number from my usual lumber supplier that isn't matching up even to the high prices at the big box stores. 

This is probably going to be off by 15% or so but I think I was right around $7k for lumber including osb sheathing. $2800 for the LP siding and miratek trim

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/1/20 7:48 p.m.

You are going to love that foam.  i did my shop the same way.  I covered the inside walls, but then decided to leave the ceiling open with wood braces exposed.  Went in with a spray gun and a LOT of paint and sprayed the whole thing bright white with heavy coats.  They sell a paint for painting restaurant ceilings etc.  The paint dries before it drops 10 feet.  Works pretty good, but i would still cover the floor.  wink

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
12/1/20 8:06 p.m.

In reply to metty :

Thank you, that sounds reasonable given the current prices and jives better with the hand calculations I've been doing. The lumber company that I used for my house gave me a quick estimate of $17.50 per square foot just for framing materials for a detached garage, excluding trusses. 

Your project looks nice, great progress. You will definitely like the spray foam, it's going to be like one big Yeti cooler. 

metty
metty New Reader
12/6/20 4:56 p.m.

Finished up the siding on the back wall today 

SWMBO said I need to hire out the drywall work. Found a guy named Jose on Facebook who said he would do it for $2k plus materials. He is supposed to be here Friday to get it knocked out 

metty
metty New Reader
12/7/20 12:23 p.m.

Part of the deal with the cheap drywall guy was I had to get supplies...this was just about the max that my truck and trailer could take. 8 bags of quickset, 8 buckets of mud, 2 buckets of screws and 45 sheets of drywall 

metty
metty New Reader
12/10/20 10:20 a.m.

I was pulling my hair out trying to get everything inside wrapped up before tomorrow but after talking with my boss i just took a vacation day and got it all wrapped up.

item #1 was installing the inside half of the mini split since the lines need to run in an area where they will be covered by drywall. this required getting some bead board up on the loft railing first so i wouldnt have to cut it in around the unit later.

Item #2 was finishing up the siding and getting it all caulked/painted. Felt great to have this done!

Item #3 was getting cement pads poured for the air compressor and for the outside half of the mini split. I had put this off for quite a while because the concrete guy was supposed to come back and raise the grade on the back of the garage. I havent seen him yet so i just shoveled some fill in there and formed up the pads, he can fill in around them later when he comes back with more dirt. 

metty
metty New Reader
12/10/20 4:15 p.m.

Got the compressor moved this evening with help from my boys and the winch 

thedoc
thedoc HalfDork
12/10/20 5:20 p.m.

Wow, so nice!  I have helped put together a few garages myself.  Then I moved so now I'd have to recruit new help.  I love when you can do the work you feel like, and sub out the work you don't.  

metty
metty New Reader
12/15/20 7:49 a.m.

Got the mini split installed and the compressor plumbed this morning 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
12/15/20 7:58 a.m.

Outside compressor is nice, much quieter

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
12/15/20 8:28 a.m.

This place looks awesome, I have been patiently waiting for the drywall install pics!

metty
metty New Reader
12/15/20 2:53 p.m.

Busted out a barn door for the bathroom over lunch today. Also some shots of the front and side now that all the siding and trim is done and painted 

metty
metty New Reader
12/19/20 6:16 p.m.

After ghosting me for 2 weeks, the drywall guys finally showed up yesterday. They should finish Monday then I can paint and move my stuff in! 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/19/20 6:51 p.m.

Looking good!

metty
metty New Reader
12/22/20 5:59 p.m.

I'm getting very very close...

windows trimmed and sink installed 

shelves roughed in in the bathroom 

and the garage door is in!

metty
metty New Reader
12/27/20 10:54 a.m.

Back from Christmas at the MILs house. Worked late after the kids went to bed and got the rest of the window trim up and painted the loft ceiling 

and the small front wall so I could put the cover on the panel. Need to fill in the drywal where they got a little trigger happy on the cutting around the outlets 

Very Nice!

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
12/27/20 1:51 p.m.

Looks awesome. Great work!

metty
metty New Reader
12/28/20 4:36 p.m.

Marathon of a day but it's done enough that I'm moving tools out there tomorrow 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
12/28/20 5:38 p.m.

What's the reason for the upside down outlets? The space looks great. 

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
12/28/20 5:48 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

I've wondered this also. For various reasons my work has moved into newly built buildings a couple times in the last few years and both building had the outlets installed what I thought was upside down. Done by different electrical contractors.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/28/20 6:00 p.m.

I worked with an electrical engineer and he said that was correct cause if the plug is a little bit out of the receptacle and a thin piece of steel like a 6" machinist type rule falls on it it won't short out.  

Makes sense I guess.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z51ietayhUKpL2zMJz66X0u4qzOtEZgHtXLpt7NlQJ5CsioxRuAvRNBozj9JQ2YI