TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/25/23 11:58 p.m.

To much cold enrichment. Does it have a flood clear mode in the firmware like an old Megasquirt?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/26/23 8:56 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yes it does, but the battery was getting weak the first time around and the starter E36 M3 the bed the second. 

12/4/23 12:06 a.m.

So, yeah, I guess we can call this "part two of why not to buy the cheapest Chinese rip-off of a Bosch starter that Rock Auto sells."

yes, thats the shaft upon which the starter drive rides. Yes, it is broken, just before the end support bushing. No, there was no binding of the shaft in the bushing. Just E36 M3ty metallurgy, I believe. Anyway, it's such a close copy of the legit Bosch part that I have once again repaired it with a part from my junkyard-sourced Made In Germany Bosch starter. Tests OK, so I'll install it tomorrow and hope the flywheel gear accepts my apology.

12/9/23 10:55 p.m.

So it took a bit but I finally got some quality time in the garage today:

still wouldn't start though, cold cranking enrichment is way too aggressive (I haven't made any changes there yet). So I held it at WOT to enable flood clearing (no injectors while cranking) and after a few seconds she barked to life.

so, now that I know the Opti is OK, I'm going to take away a bunch of cold cranking enrichment and get her starting properly.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
12/9/23 11:56 p.m.

Glad the starter is back in action

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/10/23 7:36 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

To much cold enrichment. Does it have a flood clear mode in the firmware like an old Megasquirt?

Where do you think MS got it from smiley

MS originated on the old DIY-EFI mailing list, which was concurrent with the GM ECM hackers, and MS works extremely similarly to the GM computers from the mid 80s.

I have made amazingly good first-cut MS maps for GMs by finding the .bin from a factory computer and copying/pasting it all over.

preach
preach UltraDork
12/17/23 9:30 a.m.

3rd page? berkeley that.

Saw this today and thought of AC:

not quite the same but they do things funny in Maine.

12/17/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to preach :

Cut and fold thumb for proper salute.

and yes, I finally got out to the garage yesterday. Three-level storage shelf has been converted back to car. After that, I just kind of fiddled around and knocked out some random things:

• Added cable alignment tabs to throttle cam
  • Improved attachment of firewall side panels
  • Loomed and taped bilge fan relay wiring
  • Installed and torqued rear wheels
  • Measured rear bar to prepare for junkyard run

And because I'm (1) a mild hoarder, (2) a cheapskate, and (3) a terrible time manager, I finally did something with the 20-ish trial size cans of CRC Ultra Screwloose, a Challenge freebie from 2008 or so. The propellant has leaked out of them, so I drilled into each one and poured the contents into a spray bottle. Now the cardboard box and empty cans can be recycled, and I gained a little bit of shelf space.

preach
preach UltraDork
12/17/23 10:39 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Mrs. preach makes fun of me for being so cheap. She went to put a E36 M3ty muffing pan in the bin and I said "tail light buckets!!!" and put it in the shop pile...

I'll probably never use them as such.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/17/23 4:38 p.m.

In reply to preach :

I have all kinds of used baking trays and pans for holding parts to catching liquids. And I take all my wife's old yoga mats and use them on the garage floor or as fender covers. It's not cheap, it's resourceful!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
12/17/23 5:54 p.m.

Muffin tins are for hardware when you disassemble something new to you. Each step gets the hardware in order, and you can sharpie notes on the tin too. Automatically records the order of assembly too.

12/19/23 8:02 a.m.

Brief status update, no pix. Had a friend over last night, first time he's seen MonZora in the metal. Air temp maybe 37*F. One brief twist of the key and she barked to life. Almost like a real car. Chinesium starter still sounds terrible, so I'm gonna install the new Bosch starter this weekend.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/19/23 8:20 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to preach :

Cut and fold thumb for proper salute.

and yes, I finally got out to the garage yesterday. Three-level storage shelf has been converted back to car. After that, I just kind of fiddled around and knocked out some random things:

• Added cable alignment tabs to throttle cam
  • Improved attachment of firewall side panels
  • Loomed and taped bilge fan relay wiring
  • Installed and torqued rear wheels
  • Measured rear bar to prepare for junkyard run

And because I'm (1) a mild hoarder, (2) a cheapskate, and (3) a terrible time manager, I finally did something with the 20-ish trial size cans of CRC Ultra Screwloose, a Challenge freebie from 2008 or so. The propellant has leaked out of them, so I drilled into each one and poured the contents into a spray bottle. Now the cardboard box and empty cans can be recycled, and I gained a little bit of shelf space.

Mine always leak down before anything else. Why?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
12/19/23 10:37 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I'm stealing this idea, now I'm pissed for donating or throwing away so many of them.

12/19/23 10:39 a.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

my theory is that it happens in cold temps, because the seals shrink and the propellant molecules also shrink, thus allowing the propellant molecules to slowly escape.

EDIT:  while googling "why do aerosol cans lose propellant", i found this:

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
12/23/23 9:26 a.m.

Happy Birthday AC!  Also, page 2??? laugh

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
12/23/23 9:54 a.m.

Moar monzora content please!

12/23/23 10:50 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I don't have any new content right now, but I've got a couple of practical mods in the idea stage. Will update soon.

12/23/23 6:59 p.m.

To appease my rabid fan base ( \m/ ), I'm posting new pix from previous work session.

this is the horizontal close-out panel between the left side of the engine box and the rocker panel:

and here's the same panel on the right side:

and here's a look at the cable guides I added to the throttle cam.

If I hook my toe under the gas pedal and lift it up, the cable had enough slack to come out of the groove in the cam. It was easier to add these guides than to revise the under-car linkage. In the pic above, cable is at full slack, so there's another problem solved.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
12/25/23 3:11 p.m.

That moving blanket upholstery is pretty dope

12/25/23 3:19 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

That moving blanket upholstery is pretty dope

I think that was Duster's idea and execution. It really quiets things down!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/25/23 4:14 p.m.

My idea, kumas execution 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
12/27/23 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Well... we didn't really trust Kuma with the knife though

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/27/23 1:19 p.m.

I forgot you were helping out with that too John. Sorry for not adding you in on that list. That whole night's kind of fuzzy and I wasn't even drinking

12/31/23 4:20 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
wvumtnbkr said:

I don't have any new content right now, but I've got a couple of practical mods in the idea stage. Will update soon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VtkcQEVS13yfJxmlS4rR8Ws3UL5lnvkaEYZggxpxVJGC43PPBTVqpqTbC49II7Yb