11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
12/31/23 4:45 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Did you figure out what the "hot" smell was?  Otherwise that looked like a pretty successful drive, congratulations.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/31/23 5:02 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Did you figure out what the "hot" smell was?  Otherwise that looked like a pretty successful drive, congratulations.

I'm pretty sure it was coming from the delivery van in front of me. I didn't see or smell anything suspicious when I checked it over in the driveway.

12/31/23 5:03 p.m.

Linking again since it was the last post on previous page:

Also, i spent about 6 hours making that 22-minute video.  I downloaded and installed free version of iMovie (MovieMaker?) to my PC, edited everything down, and when i went to save it as MP4 it said "register (buy) license to avoid watermark."  i said F that, how bad can the watermark be?  turns out, pretty bad.

So i uninstalled that, and downloaded free version of DaVinci Resolve, and it was so un-intuitive to me that I uninstalled that one too.  Then i did what i should have done before uninstalling: searched youtube for tutorials, and was able to hack this video together from about 40 minutes of raw footage. i'm gonna keep DaVinci Resolve.  I learned a little bit about using it, and i'll learn more as i go.

preach
preach UltraDork
1/1/24 1:26 p.m.

I like DaVinci. My dumb ass figured it out fast as long as I don't have to edit much. Serious rabbit hole.

6 hours for 22mins? I'll stick to hot sauces.

1/1/24 1:49 p.m.
preach said:

that 6 hours includes berkeleying around trying to figure out GoPro Editor, then doing a complete edit in MovieMaker only to be slapped with the watermark, and starting over with DaVinci.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
1/1/24 2:09 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
preach said:

that 6 hours includes berkeleying around trying to figure out GoPro Editor, then doing a complete edit in MovieMaker only to be slapped with the watermark, and starting over with DaVinci.

I say +1 to old dogs and new tricks.  Your brain: use it or lose it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
1/2/24 9:33 a.m.

Sounds pretty healthy! Did you go WOT yet? 

1/2/24 9:54 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Sounds pretty healthy! Did you go WOT yet? 

thanks! i just listened with over-the-ear headphones and it sounds so much better than just playing through laptop or phone speaker.

i was on my way to WOT when she backfired (@ 9:52), so i never got there.  IDK how much more driving i'll get to do, as current temp is 29*F and forecast is low-30s as far out as it goes.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
1/2/24 10:41 a.m.

What's the datalog say happened there? Is it stumbling because it's rich/lean on those transitions or does that spark table need smoothing?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
1/2/24 11:33 a.m.

Is the engine too far modified to work with a stock tune? 

1/2/24 1:46 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

i honestly haven't spent much time investigating yet.  i wanted to get that video done!  I'll take a closer look tonight.  I know the BLM history says she's 6-7% rich in the region from 30-50 kPa and 2200-2800 rpm, but i'm not sure if that's where i was when it backfired.

In reply to maschinenbau :

compared to stock:  the cam definitely has more lift, duration, and overlap, and the exhaust is definitely freer-flowing, and the o2 sensors are definitely farther downstream.  i have made a few changes to compensate for those things.  now i need to datalog and see what the data tell me to do.

Opti
Opti UltraDork
1/3/24 9:22 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Is the engine too far modified to work with a stock tune? 

probably not. Ive seen larger cams run on a stock tune, and it was pretty common about 10 years ago to see cam and bolt on cars (especially the LT4 hot cam) running around on the stock tune. "Work"  and "optimal" are two different things though.

I fired a 230/245 on a stock OBDII tune. Took a little but settled into an idle and was able to warm it up and check for leaks. Didnt try to drive it though.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/3/24 11:44 a.m.

When Windoze no longer contained a movie maker, I started searching.  I switched to DaVinci because it was the highest regarded free program, and while the learning curve IS steep, I've been growing with it and loving what it can do. 

There are TONS of nerdy folk putting together "how to" videos on DaVinci, so whatever you're trying to figure out has a tutorial only a click away. 

It's clunky, like it was made by engineers, but it works really, really well.... once you get the hang of it.

I believe in you!

2/14/24 1:11 p.m.

Challenge punch list, T minus 49 days:

• Check fit of C4 front bar on rear, mod as required
  • Belly pan mid-car
  • Secure hoses to header fans
  • Battery hold down
  • Kill switch mount and wire
  • USB socket
  • Change CEL from LED to standard bulb
  • ALDL splitter
  • ALDLdroid
  • Tablet for dashboard
  • Harness bar
  • Cosmetic updates (to be revealed at event)

i'm kicking this off tonight, 14-Feb-2024

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/14/24 1:26 p.m.

Wow, you sure know how to spend Valentines Day.  Good luck with that.

2/14/24 1:36 p.m.

and of course it all starts with updating the white board!

and a couple more items:

• Add hood prop
  • Source and install smaller reservoir for clutch MC
  • Extend clutch slave pushrod 1/8"

2/14/24 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

not everyone wants 7 kids

fouckhest
fouckhest Reader
2/14/24 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

not everyone wants 7 kids

As my wife and I were having coffee this morning and I jokingly looked over and said happy valentines day....she told me, "i didnt get you anything," my response, "same"   She then told me, your present....go play in the garage tonight lol

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
2/14/24 2:46 p.m.

Woohoo! New punchlist!

preach
preach UltraDork
2/14/24 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Shavarsh :

Woohoo page 1!

2/15/24 9:27 p.m.

Don't have much to show for tonight's effort. Checked fit of C4 front bar on narrowed C5 rear. It fouls the Audi transaxle mount. Gonna look at different bar shapes at the JY one of these days, so for now I'm gonna put that task on the back burner. Beyond that, I cleaned up and put tools away. Only did one thing pic-worthy:

celebrating the return of the whiteboard!

preach
preach UltraDork
2/16/24 7:04 a.m.

Pitter Patter Patrick!

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
2/16/24 1:13 p.m.

Only did one thing pic-worthy:

celebrating the return of the whiteboard!

I'm pleased to see the whiteboard still has the profanity filter.

Sweet!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/16/24 1:31 p.m.

There is a brown '66 Corvair in remarkable condition (from the pics) at one of the local yards.

Want me to try and snag anything?

2/16/24 1:41 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

There is a brown '66 Corvair in remarkable condition (from the pics) at one of the local yards.

Want me to try and snag anything?

shoulder belt anchors LOL

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W4Rd9MnGTE1cAO1VaymDWFmF6gL8HeKcCtpasecmNXZAnFRUa5azObaZEX8gyfyb