Realized after I posted that I should take a look at the ignition switch

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/16/24 2:29 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Zip wheel should do it?

JK about the shoulder belt anchors, (1) i already have a set and (2) just berkeleying with someone.

Yes, the ignition switch should be direct fit to your truck.  would be cool if it came with keys, although a locksmith can easily make a key to match the existing tumbler config.

2/17/24 3:57 p.m.

Battery tray progress. I didn't have any angle, but I have square tube and a plasma cutter!

Cleaned up the edges and tacked it together:

Then set it in position and put the battery in place to check for tool clearance. It's all good, so now I have to make the bits to attach the tray to the car.

and then add the hold-down tabs. May be done tonight.

This moves a big chunk of weight from a not great location behind left rear wheel to a pretty great location in front of right front wheel. Front right was lightest corner by a lot, so this will help balance the car. I'll weigh the battery later and update this post.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/17/24 4:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

Zip wheel should do it?

JK about the shoulder belt anchors, (1) i already have a set and (2) just berkeleying with someone.

Yes, the ignition switch should be direct fit to your truck.  would be cool if it came with keys, although a locksmith can easily make a key to match the existing tumbler config.

Ignition switch had been taken :-/

2/17/24 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My local club is dismantling a rust bucket in a couple weeks. I'll get you the ignition switch, even if it doesn't have a key.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/17/24 5:56 p.m.

Sweet, thanks

2/18/24 8:10 p.m.

Added supports to battery tray, then tackled the hold down and threaded attachments. Drilled 13/32" holes in 1" square tube, then cut tube at 45°. 2x got 3/8-16 nuts welded to them, and 2 stayed as thru holes. Clearance hole bits welded to hold-down, nut bits welded to tray.

Hold-down is not quite finished, need to add a strap to tie the pieces together across top of battery.

and because I might run a lawnmower battery, I added a support and another threaded bit to that, and made up new hold-down pieces since the cell caps are proud of the surface:

overall I think it came out sweet.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
2/18/24 8:38 p.m.

Hell yeah, nice job!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
2/18/24 9:16 p.m.

Nice!

preach
preach UltraDork
2/19/24 6:20 a.m.

Keep checking those boxes!

2/19/24 9:21 a.m.

In reply to preach :

battery tray: check

battery hold-down(s): 75%

amazon shipment due tomorrow will check off a couple easy ones.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey SuperDork
2/19/24 9:28 a.m.

Monzora's hold down is cooler than Guac's. Nice work. 

2/19/24 10:11 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

Monzora's hold down is cooler than Guac's. Nice work. 

Remind me to park next to you at Concours. And remind me to direct the judges' attention to our battery hold downs. ;-)

AxeHealey
AxeHealey SuperDork
2/19/24 1:46 p.m.

And if you put my forum quote in your build book I can't even argue.

2/20/24 9:28 p.m.

Cheapo android tablet arrived today, so I downloaded ALDLdroid app and played a little with tablet placement. Will build an ADX file to display things the way I want.

And received my duplex USB socket, which I will install later in the week. Also, past me berkeleying rules! I kept the "utility" fuse in the C4 fuse block, and ran the wire with the bundle to the dash, labeled, and taped back with the ALDL wiring:

I still need the ALDL to Bluetooth converter, so I can use the tablet's USB port for charging. Budget is super tight, probably done spending now. Still need a couple cans of spray paint. laugh

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/21/24 5:32 p.m.

Cheapo android tablet arrived today, so I downloaded ALDLdroid app and played a little with tablet placement. Will build an ADX file to display things the way I want.

And received my duplex USB socket, which I will install later in the week. Also, past me berkeleying rules! I kept the "utility" fuse in the C4 fuse block, and ran the wire with the bundle to the dash, labeled, and taped back with the ALDL wiring:

I still need the ALDL to Bluetooth converter, so I can use the tablet's USB port for charging. Budget is super tight, probably done spending now. Still need a couple cans of spray paint. laugh

Super cool, great idea! I don't think you need the charger in the budget as you can charge it in between races. I always interpreted the rules as only what is in the car at the time of the race counts, not tools, chargers or anything else that is not part of the car. Or am I wrong and you need this to be wired into the car?

2/21/24 11:27 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

I don't have any gauges in the car, so this tablet will be my dash. You are correct, the charge port isn't necessary, as I can charge the tablet in the pits.

getting the data from the ALDL connector to the tablet, whether by cable or by Bluetooth, will be included in the budget.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
2/23/24 7:55 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) : Don't cheat your self: all that is removable for your tablet that doesn't prevent your car from functioning is exempt.

2/23/24 10:32 p.m.

In reply to madmrak351 :

Dang, thanks for posting that! I never really paid attention to the wording.

2/24/24 11:18 p.m.

Battery tray is welded in, seems pretty sturdy. Here's a pic of me standing on it:

Hold-downs for both sizes of battery are complete.

note to self: here in MURRICA, we read from left to right. Remembering this would have saved me from removing the wrap from my body harness to trace my dead USB power wire. Reading left to right, as we do here, would have found that blown fuse in the #19 slot. Reading right to left, I checked fuse #17.

by the time I got the harness loomed and secured again, I had run out of steam for the night. I'll get after it again tomorrow.

preach
preach UltraDork
2/25/24 7:03 a.m.

Nice work as usual.

I have not seen a drop light like that in years. My awesome metal one died and the cheesy plastic caged one melted. Now I just use headlamps.

2/25/24 9:54 a.m.

In reply to preach :

Thanks! My designs are sound. My execution is rarely pretty.

That drop light was on a 10 foot reel in the basement workshop when I bought this house. I trash picked a 50 foot reel with a broken plastic light from work and did the old swaparoo. 

2/28/24 10:32 p.m.

Tackled the kill switch installation and wiring tonight. Started by removing the alternator charge wire from the power distribution block, and extending it with some 6ga.

It will run forward to the BATT side of the kill switch.

Step bit made quick work of punching a couple of pass-through holes in the fixed part of the engine box, and The Hammer Store provided a couple grommets.

The gigantic B+ cable came from a theft recovery Hellcat Challenger at US Auto u-pull in Wayne MI a while back. The cable was $8.00 well spent. One end is connected to the starter. The other will be connected to the LOAD side of the kill switch. 

As for the kill switch, I installed it to the right of the glove box, an easy reach from the passenger side window. 

I will place the appropriate lightning bolt sticker on the passenger door. And while not strictly required, I will add some kind of push-pull actuation within reach from the driver's window, probably using the original Corvair auto trans shift cable.

I also drilled a hole from frunk to interior, installed a grommet, and routed the original C4 B- cable from battery location to kill switch. I will wrap this cable with red duct tape.

One end will connect to (+) terminal on battery, and the other end will be connected to the BATT side of the kill switch.

I'm calling it about 75% done, and I'm quitting for the night. I still need to cut all the cables to length, install ring terminals, secure them along their routing, and connect them to the switch. I'm also going to find some rubber caps to cover the exposed terminals on the back of the switch. Because if it is not correct, it is incorrect.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
2/29/24 8:55 a.m.

A little brush on red paint will take a lot less effort than a wrap...

Entropyman
Entropyman Reader
2/29/24 11:26 a.m.

Red heat shrink is also available in large wire diameters from the jungle store.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SpvIEKqu1yVJmaV4zIMSZ9mlAQOZvUrSpaGt0C0nO8XYTXLEfhnaergvrv7UtHCZ