1 2
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/28/24 8:48 p.m.

In true GRM fashion I am starting the build thread before the car is in my possession. 

Unfortunately I don't have a picture on my trailer at a gas station because it's getting delivered this weekend by a transporter.

I sold my BRZ several weeks ago, but driving an Armada or a police Camry wasn't cutting it.  I started looking for something reasonably priced that was fun to drive.  I settled on a 2001 Porsche Boxster S.

I am excited.  More to follow once it shows up...

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/28/24 8:53 p.m.

A couple pictures from the auction to tide you over until I see it in person.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
8/28/24 9:00 p.m.

Looks great. Is that some sort of roll hoop? 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/28/24 9:06 p.m.

Not just a Porsche but an Auction Porsche!  This should be exciting 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/28/24 9:07 p.m.

It's a Brey Krause roll bar extension. It allows for the car to be driven in a track day despite being a convertible.

Oddly enough I bought one several years ago off Facebook and attempted to flip it into an actual Porsche.

Ironic prior purchase...

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/28/24 9:16 p.m.
nocones said:

Not just a Porsche but an Auction Porsche!  This should be exciting 

I feel pretty good about it despite being an auction.

It is one owner.  It was traded into the porsche dealership whom I purchased it from via a wholesale auction.  It has 59k miles, and per carfax was serviced at said porsche dealership it's entire 23 year life.  The porsche dealer actually had it listed for sale retail on its website despite the car being old enough to buy alcohol. 

I figured if a porsche dealership was willing to sell a 2001 model on its used lot it had to be pretty decent.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/29/24 12:44 a.m.

Nice and congrats. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
8/29/24 6:32 a.m.

Looks pretty clean and appears to be lowered.  I've been spending more time than usual looking at boxsters. How much was this one?

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
8/29/24 7:09 a.m.

NICE!  What happens next?

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/29/24 8:52 a.m.

Congrats!  But police camry?  That's a thing now?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/29/24 9:05 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Nice.  I want a ride next time we run into each other.

In reply to docwyte :

Yeah the local police here in Jacksonville got sneaky a few years back.  They have Hyundias also.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/29/24 9:55 a.m.

Interesting.  You say auction but also retail lot and the photo seems to be at a Porsche dealer and not an auction lot.  How did this work?  How was the bidding action?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/29/24 10:10 a.m.

I bought it through ACV.  It's a dealer only app that let's dealers bid on vehicles that are still at the car dealership.  It saves on the transport costs etc, and the dealership can continue to market the car retail if they so desire.

Each auction runs for 2 hours and can be listed with or without a reserve.  The best part is each vehicle is reviewed and photographed by an independent party from the auction.  They include at least 60 pictures of each car, a sound clip of the engine and a full condition report.  My buddy with the carlot hasn't gone to a traditional auction since he started using the app a few years ago.

I actually won the bid on the car three times.  They kept lowering the reserve until my third bid of $9,000.00 won the auction.  They had it listed on their website with much better pictures and a carfax for $17,900.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
8/29/24 11:14 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I actually won the bid on the car three times.  They kept lowering the reserve until my third bid of $9,000.00 won the auction.  They had it listed on their website with much better pictures and a carfax for $17,900.

Man! What a deal!!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
8/29/24 11:35 a.m.

Deal , does the roll bar come out easy ?

Seems the dealer would not want to offer a car with a roll bar for insurance reasons.....

spandak
spandak Dork
8/29/24 12:24 p.m.

You stole that. Well bought! Hope it serves you well!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/29/24 12:24 p.m.

It unbolts from the factory roll bar. So it is easily removed.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/29/24 1:27 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I bought it through ACV.  It's a dealer only app that let's dealers bid on vehicles that are still at the car dealership.  It saves on the transport costs etc, and the dealership can continue to market the car retail if they so desire.

Learn something new every day.  I assume the CarLotBuddy (CLB) is the one that actually has to buy the car, and then he flows the paperwork through to you and you buy the car from him?  That's a nice Mark Donohue level "Unfair Advantage" to have in the car shopping world.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/29/24 1:58 p.m.

I am signed up as a buyer through the dealership.  Before I was a cop we owned a dealership together for 9 years.

I still buy and sell cars for extra money, I have a LLC that I run all the for profit sales through.  Mainly I have been flipping golf carts as of late since cars are expensive at the auction at the moment.

Piguin
Piguin Reader
8/29/24 5:06 p.m.

Indeed a steal.

Congrats and many happy miles!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/29/24 8:04 p.m.

Got the car home after work.  I gave it a quick wash and then took my wife for a spin.  We were both stoked at how nice the car is.

The blue interior is super cool in person.

So far my only complaints are that the bilstein pss9 coilovers make spring noises on occasion when turning sharply, and the numeric shifter is pretty stiff.  I am going to see if I can move the fulcrum point this weekend to adjust the throw a bit.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy UltraDork
8/30/24 8:01 a.m.

Looks great!  You've owned at least a couple of Boxsters iirc.  Any strong opinions on base model vs S?   If I got one, I don't plan to track it, and I *think* a base model would scratch the itch. Plus they're generally cheaper.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/30/24 9:07 a.m.

The s definitely has more torque, but the base model likes to rev a little more.  That's probably not actually accurate, but the base needs to be revved out more to go which probably leads to that impression.

The 5 speeds in the base models are less problematic and are significantly cheaper to replace if you do have a problem.

The pre 2000 models have a much lower ims failure rate than the 2000 and later models.

I originally was looking for a less expensive base model.  I decided to spend more on this one given it's condition and the aftermarket parts it had.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/30/24 12:01 p.m.

We’ll have to meet up at a PCA event. :) 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
8/30/24 1:47 p.m.

Oddly enough I have been a PCA instructor for 5 years or so.  They would not let me join without a porsche.  I guess now I can actually join...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HqlvIW0wZ5GKcghLCQmoTxf1lXDU3ePkXS1hbLXd595XAE3ANTnMjlEgdg3R9XO6