8 9 10 11
tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/12/23 6:16 p.m.

I reshaped the vertical tube to better match the angle of the 'Vette frame rail and got the top cap welded on.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/12/23 6:17 p.m.

And couldn't resist installing the seat, just because I think it looks cool...

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
7/13/23 9:14 a.m.

Really enjoying this build and your YT content!

Love the first photo of the seat, for some reason I instantly thought of the scene in Independence Day when they are looking at the alien in the mothership! cool

....as an aside, you've inspired me to start a thread on here....going to get a little more content this weekend (fingers crossed) and will post up...also need to come up with a clever thread title lol

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/13/23 4:34 p.m.

Me in place, working out the ergonomics. The wheel is too steep and too large, but it's a start.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/15/23 11:50 p.m.

Decision made for how the rear 'Vette frame rails will tie into the chassis. To get started, it's four tubes running forward from each rails' vertical tube and landing on the tubes that make up the base of the fire wall. I'll also fab a box, of sorts, that'll tie what's left of the Benz cross member to the tubes, as circled in the pic.  

Then, once the drive train is positioned, a mounting location will be added to the tubes that will serve as the mounting spot for an engine cross bar. It has to be removable since the engine has to drop out the bottom. Once that cross bar location is known, there will additional tubes from that location forward to the main hoop at the upper door bar location and rearward to the rear shock tower. Bracing has been added that ties together the upper and lower fire wall, too.

In all, no kill like overkill!

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/16/23 1:13 p.m.

The first of the rear frame rail X-brace tubes fitted and ready for welding. Yes, that other vertical tube gets removed. It's was just used to help position the rails - never part of the final design. Same with those wonky tabs, etc. at the base of the shock towers.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/16/23 7:34 p.m.

Next piece of the puzzle getting close. And then I was checking Craigslist and what shows up about 6 miles from my house? A set of unused C5 coil overs for just about 1/2 price. Wrong spring rates, I'm sure. And not the brand I'd have selected - but for the price, they get RacerBenz on it's feet with something WAAAAY better than the solid strut rods I have in there now! 

And who knows? For Version 1, they may work given they're independently adjustable for ride height and spring preload as well as one-way adjustable. We'll see...

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/17/23 8:46 p.m.

The problem with "making it up as I go along":

Turns out I totally missed on my assumption about the trans support mounts. They are WAY further forward than I remember - despite having the same trans in my LS 914. I mean, why even check when it's sitting like 30 feet away... Anyway.

I ended up removing everything I did yesterday and moved the X-brace landing location further back on the frame rails. Martin was available today and with both of us working, we knocked out what you see in the pics. I opted to add verticals, after all. Got the one done on the right side. Good progress.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/19/23 11:28 a.m.

Lousy pic but I got the front of the 'Vette frame rails tied outward to the Benz chassis. Yes, both sides! Added a bit of lightness and style points with a couple speed holes. These'll get additional boxing (top and rear) just to keep the "No kill like overkill" thing going.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/19/23 7:42 p.m.

Rear X-brace completed and mostly welded in. Nice and stout. Looks cool, too!

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/19/23 7:46 p.m.

Boxed the first side connection from 'Vette-to-RacerBenz's chassis. I ran into some contamination in the material so got a blotchy weld on that first seam. Might have to go back and tidy up a bit.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/19/23 8:07 p.m.

Almost done on the passenger side. This is looking forward through the rear wheel well. What you're seeing is where the Benz chassis has been truncated. I capped it with a simple 16 ga plate that connects over to the 'Vette frame rail. Still some more welding to do, but you get the idea.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/21/23 6:06 p.m.

Got things far enough along that I was able to remove the fixturing elements. Better yet, the trans is mocked in! That's the good news.

The less-than-good news is that the 'Vette cradle is preventing it from sitting low enough in the car so in these pics, it's about 3" too high. So... A bracing structure has been designed that will enable me to remove the cross bar sections of the cradle and position the trans where I want it. But man, look at all the room! 

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/21/23 6:07 p.m.

And the 'Vette rear sway bar still fits.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/22/23 9:24 a.m.

This thread is a bit ahead of the videos but here's the latest, in case you enjoy the format. Bonus: you get to meet Martin! 

https://youtu.be/8Pq1GlzjL00

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/22/23 3:11 p.m.

Rear brace main structure underway. I think I'll run a brace from the upper tab area to the main bar, one on each side. The notch in the tabs is for sway bar clearance.

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
7/24/23 10:05 a.m.

I think I'm missingit... what is interfering? One would think that a vette transmission and vette subframe wouldn't have too many issues...

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/24/23 4:20 p.m.
Parker with too many Projects said:

I think I'm missingit... what is interfering? One would think that a vette transmission and vette subframe wouldn't have too many issues...

That's not a 'Vette trans, it's from a Boxster S. The 'Vette gear package sits ahead of the diff and runs a torque tube. The Boxster runs the gear pack behind the diff and bolts directy to the engine. Check out the following pics...

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/24/23 4:22 p.m.

Trans and mock up LS block roughed in place.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/25/23 7:37 p.m.

Possible change of plans. It seems I could solve a few fitment issues if I ran an inverted G50 trans from a 911. It'd raise the axles so no clearancing on the 'Vett cradle and, being upside down, the gear section at the rear ends up higher, which would clear the 'Vette sway bar.

And Kennedy Engineering makes an "inverted G50-to-LS adapter kit! It's less expensive than the Boxter-LS adapter kit.

So, I've sourced a G50 (a buddy has one he's willing to part with) and I should have that mocked into the car is the next couple days. We'll see...

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
7/25/23 7:41 p.m.

In reply to tygaboy :

How's it do for oiling when it's inverted?  Does it have a pump or is it just splash lubed?  I'm enjoying your work here and am impressed by it all.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
7/26/23 2:57 a.m.

Will the G50 survive the torque from the LS?

Only wondering since it IS a track focused car, and not a pampered daily...

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/26/23 9:56 a.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

In reply to tygaboy :

How's it do for oiling when it's inverted?  Does it have a pump or is it just splash lubed?  I'm enjoying your work here and am impressed by it all.

Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear you're enjoying. I don't seem to get many comments so it's nice to hear some folks are checking out this this build. The oiling in an inverted G50 is "fine" but spray bars can be added, which I'd likely do. 

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/26/23 10:06 a.m.
Piguin said:

Will the G50 survive the torque from the LS?

Only wondering since it IS a track focused car, and not a pampered daily...

The stock 911 clutch is rated at something like 500+ lb/ft at the crank so it's within range. That said, you can't treat it like a drag car. I'll do the spray bars and a cooler, too. And this may sound naive or like famous last words but the guys who'll be driving this car are good buddies who aren't trying to set lap records and will respect the "do this/don't so this" directions I give them.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
7/26/23 10:29 a.m.
tygaboy said:
I don't seem to get many comments so it's nice to hear some folks are checking out this this build. 

In my case, the reason I don't comment after every post is that I'd just be copy - pasting 'That is awesome! Can't wait to see more", since so far I've had no other comments of value since your skills and ingenuity far surpass mine. I have the feeling I am not the only one on that boat.

8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jU9IJ6iNZbfS3mSThiLpigCrSbqsWUhxn1804iFLFLvpGO2Fm5mLHQKV9bH2FYGQ