1 2 3 4
NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
2/14/21 9:00 p.m.

Very cool carry all.

I agree the mods are done well enough.

Cleaned and running it should be a $5k to $6k truck unless the bottom is full of holes. Rare enough of a truck. 

Good luck

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/14/21 9:25 p.m.

I would ask $8 to $9k running.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
2/15/21 12:24 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Tk8398 said:

Do people honestly fix stuff like that?  It would be cool once it was done, but I feel like it's too far gone to even make an attempt from the pictures.

I'm guessing you live in the southwest US where cars don't rust at all...other than the rockers it looks pretty good to me, and they shouldn't be hard to fix either.

I live in California, where most cars don't look like that.  It happens, but people don't usually fix them.  I'm looking at the fact that both the A and B pillars appear to be rusted through from the inside on this one and can't imagine having to deal with fixing that though lol.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/15/21 1:04 a.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

Out here in the S. E., they either look like that, or folks are asking 5 digits and up for anything old enough to be the slightest bit cool. Comes from watching B. J. Auctions, and thinking that crap is real crying

And also ‘cause folks that don’t live around rust, threw so many away prolly didn’t help. laugh

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/15/21 1:08 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

In my world that is a $2500 hole to pour more money into than the final product  is worth.

completely agree! A few years ago, I’d have offerd less than a grand. A year a go 2. Today? All bets are off. sad

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
2/15/21 1:12 a.m.

Any pre 1975 car under $7500 in CA is that rough too.  I remember seeing hundreds of rust free 240zs in Pick-n-Pull 20 years ago, now they are worth $$$ even in bad shape.  I had a 71 Suburban that was rusty but way less than this one and had a hard time getting $600 for it after listing it for sale for months and months, now that would probably be $5k too.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/15/21 5:26 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
STM317 said:

Hagerty says around $5k for "fair" condition.

But that estimate includes trucks, panel vans, etc, for those years and I'd think a 4wd Carryall would be worth more than a 2wd truck.

Assuming it's a non-runner, I'd think 4- 5k. With a little cleaning, good photos and some tlc to get it running I could see 7-10k. With fresh rockers and good floors I'd list at 10-12k (which fits with the Hagerty pricing for 'good' condition.)

I think with some effort I could get it running.  If my Aunt can find the title and keys I told her I will come up and spend a couple days getting it running and give her a bath.

Pictures of Aunt?

Tk8398 said:

Any pre 1975 car under $7500 in CA is that rough too.  I remember seeing hundreds of rust free 240zs in Pick-n-Pull 20 years ago, now they are worth $$$ even in bad shape.  I had a 71 Suburban that was rusty but way less than this one and had a hard time getting $600 for it after listing it for sale for months and months, now that would probably be $5k too.

I looked at Suburban 8-9 months ago. Rusty as hell but running and driving. He wanted $5k. There were 4 of us in line to look at it. I was first but wasn't willing to deal with the rust at that price. The next guy bought it for the ask. 

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
2/15/21 9:06 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

Do people honestly fix stuff like that?  It would be cool once it was done, but I feel like it's too far gone to even make an attempt from the pictures.

See this thread, starting about page 4 for the carnage and resurrection:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/suburban-assault-vehicle/126741/page4/

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
2/15/21 9:12 a.m.
Tk8398 said:
stuart in mn said:
Tk8398 said:

I'm guessing you live in the southwest US where cars don't rust at all...other than the rockers it looks pretty good to me, and they shouldn't be hard to fix either.

I live in California, where most cars don't look like that.  It happens, but people don't usually fix them.  I'm looking at the fact that both the A and B pillars appear to be rusted through from the inside on this one and can't imagine having to deal with fixing that though lol.

Not sure what you're seeing, but the A and B pillars are pretty solid.  90% of the rust is below the beltline

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/15/21 10:56 a.m.

Too many TV shows declaring a 1 inch hole as "heavily rusted. Needs an entire panel. Full resto required at cost of $150k".

The Carryall is awesome.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/15/21 11:15 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

That's typical rocker rust for those, and overall it's in better shape than many of that generation.

This is my video on repairing rockers, floors, door pillars, cab corners, and basically making the cab rust free on my '61 C10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M46viC0O8

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam Reader
2/15/21 12:54 p.m.

I'd suggest finding a specific facebook page for these trucks. I'm part of Old Ford crew cab page and and you get realistic idea what old trucks actually go for. Similar condition 60s and 70s crew cabs go for 5-15K depending on closer look and running or not. Many people won't pay that but lots of those trucks sell quick.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
2/15/21 1:51 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Tk8398 said:
stuart in mn said:
Tk8398 said:

Not sure what you're seeing, but the A and B pillars are pretty solid.  90% of the rust is below the beltline

It looks like under the windshield and near the door latch on the drivers side, but I could be wrong. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
5/8/22 7:17 p.m.

So, has anyone started a build thread over a year before they took possession of the vehicle?

Visiting Aunt M again.  Surprise surprise, the beast is coming home with me.  Not this visit, but soon.

Cant find the keys, so gonna order some ignition tumblers and door locks, come back up and push it around enough to park it in the shop, then I'll drain the gas and oil, fill it and see what we can see.  Tires are original, that might need some attention. 

Then comes the drive from Talladega, Al to Tallahassee, Fl.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/8/22 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I had forgotten about this one.  That's a cool truck.  I'd almost offer to trade my K30 with you.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/23 11:00 a.m.
NOHOME said:
Mr_Asa said:
STM317 said:

Hagerty says around $5k for "fair" condition.

But that estimate includes trucks, panel vans, etc, for those years and I'd think a 4wd Carryall would be worth more than a 2wd truck.

Assuming it's a non-runner, I'd think 4- 5k. With a little cleaning, good photos and some tlc to get it running I could see 7-10k. With fresh rockers and good floors I'd list at 10-12k (which fits with the Hagerty pricing for 'good' condition.)

I think with some effort I could get it running.  If my Aunt can find the title and keys I told her I will come up and spend a couple days getting it running and give her a bath.

Pictures of Aunt?

Giggity

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/23 11:06 a.m.

And quoting for awesome:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/16/24 5:25 p.m.

Well, I probably need to change the title of this thread.

Goin up to get pinky here this weekend.  I'm supposed to have a hot shot picking it up so I should just need to meet up with them and let them take it, but the contact arranging the driver hasn't confirmed anyone able to pick it up, and that makes me itchy.  If nothing else I'll pick up a U-Haul truck and borrow my brother-in-law's trailer and run it down.

I would prefer to drive the Miata up there, but who knows.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
1/16/24 9:54 p.m.

I don't know much about older trucks but I think this is really cool and I like it alot. Good luck in picking it up. 

lownslow
lownslow New Reader
1/16/24 11:06 p.m.

Join the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/17/24 12:41 a.m.
lownslow said:

Join the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum.

I'm there as SkinnyG as well, but I don't usually frequent the "Burb" section.  I might have to.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
1/17/24 6:43 a.m.

I rented a 2023 Chevrolet Suburban while in Minneapolis last week.  

Wife asks me what I rented then gets mad when I told her it was a Chevrolet Carryall.  

iansane
iansane Dork
1/17/24 9:53 a.m.

That thing is awesome! Definite surfer vibes. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/17/24 6:01 p.m.

An auspicious start.  Young man playing "what a wonderful world" as I got gas and snacks 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2N2_-Vx41M5zD0-CPsYuhrb-HKdBQaHS9E1Rg0

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FG0wZjT77rNlYVRaHQzk5HMVVSSCq6adZqZ6wfyU2HPiU0teF1kYN58IMfzdVAne