Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/26/16 5:54 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

Not yet...

There is a campground at the bottom of the Fontana Dam on 28, that is on my list of places to spend a week or two.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/26/16 5:57 p.m.

And we are steadily getting closer to that goal.

Getting my color on.

It's greener in person than the camera makes it out to be.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love these colors.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/26/16 7:36 p.m.

This may have already been covered, but now that the topside is about finished, what's the plan on protecting the bottom?

kellym
kellym New Reader
5/26/16 7:52 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: This may have already been covered, but now that the topside is about finished, what's the plan on protecting the bottom?

I believe these came from the factory with the self-undercoating feature, you just have to top off the engine oil every now and then

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/26/16 7:58 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

The bottom has a undercoating on it so for now, I'm going to ignore it for the most part. There are a couple of areas I'll be taking a closer look at in the future. Mostly around the rear door and behind the rear wheels where the undercoating was damaged by debris coming off the tires.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/26/16 8:00 p.m.

In reply to kellym:

Surprisingly enough, the engine doesn't leak a drop. Other than the 4 quarts dumped when the oil pressure gauge line failed, it didn't use any in the 1000 miles home.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/26/16 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

An old american V8 without a rear main drip? Are you SURE it has oil in it?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/26/16 9:05 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

The 460 in my truck doesn't leak either.

Son_Of_Toyman
Son_Of_Toyman Reader
5/26/16 9:22 p.m.

Looks great Dad!!!!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
5/27/16 5:51 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: This may have already been covered, but now that the topside is about finished, what's the plan on protecting the bottom?

Avoiding the rust belt when it's snowing (probably).

As a transplanted midwesterner.. at first it was amazing to see 20-30 year old rust free vehicles. But they are plentiful in many other places such as South Carolina.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
5/27/16 11:28 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to crankwalk: Not yet... There is a campground at the bottom of the Fontana Dam on 28, that is on my list of places to spend a week or two.

Yep, I grew up not too far from there. It was a right of passage when you get the car running well enough to take it on that road.

Taking that thing on the Cherohala Skyway (with really good functioning brakes) would be a treat for the whole family.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/27/16 1:29 p.m.

I'm taking advantage of some free labor.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/27/16 1:43 p.m.

That's why I'm procreatin'! I'm gonna need some extra help for some of my more hair brained ideas in the coming years!

Lookin good!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/27/16 2:17 p.m.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/27/16 2:22 p.m.

I feel like a before shot is necessary here.

Jambo
Jambo New Reader
5/27/16 7:54 p.m.

That's awesome Toyman! I love the new color scheme.

Hey, if you don't mind my asking, what's the finish like on that roof paint? Would it be smooth enough / look decent to go on a car? I've got a roadmaster wagon that sits outside in direct sun for about 11 hours each workday. Anything I could do to make it less sauna like inside at the end of the day would be awesome.

Great build man. Keep up the good work.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/27/16 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Jambo:

The roof finish is fair. I did not blast the roof, so you can see were the surface wasn't perfect. Starting with a smooth base, it would probably look like a semi-gloss wall paint at best. I'm considering using it on the Samurai.

Jambo
Jambo New Reader
5/27/16 9:15 p.m.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like it might be ok for a 20 year old station wagon then. It's got to be better than what's on there now.

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
5/28/16 7:17 a.m.

looks great! you have made some serious progress.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/28/16 6:54 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: That is my favorite place in the world. And having spent a lot of time there, I was pretty worried about it. Honestly, other than being slow, it wasn't too bad.

Well I had about 20 semis breathing down my neck because I was doing the advised speed limit. It gets a little nerve racking at times, but it was a cool ride otherwise.

Ford52PU
Ford52PU New Reader
6/2/16 6:42 p.m.

You really have come a long way, bus is really looking good. Like the color combo

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
6/2/16 7:14 p.m.

Is there anywhere I can get a gallon of this magic roof paint? 5 gallons is a little overkill for a passenger car.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
6/2/16 8:08 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

I picked up mine at the local Walmart. They carry quarts and gallons.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
6/7/16 6:04 p.m.

Nothing really cool going on, just more blasting and priming. I picked up a pressure blast pot today, holy crap what a difference that makes. It's 4 times faster than my siphon pot, and at least 25% faster than water blasting.

Rather than muddying up this thread, I'm going to start a FYI thread on my blasting experience.

On to the pictures.

This side is almost ready for paint. I still need to do some work around the drivers window. I still want to install a roll up window, so it might not get more than a little paint for now.

More to come...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
6/8/16 12:33 a.m.

Did you put some big ass Hellas on the front of Sanford?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ujiglLKONgKkidVnoMJudw3luoLbCmwVOQ2hfL0660F4xtYDGk30zRTkeRmREgp8