Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/15/17 6:16 p.m.

I ave to say that the most difficult part of this build so far is the piwer steering pressure hose. Wed be on a different list right now if the hybrid one hadn't gone to hell.

I have an appointment with a friend with a tig tomorrow.

When in doubt, go nuclear.

Recon1342
Recon1342 New Reader
5/15/17 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

That's berkleying awesome.

I like to get myself banned from Facebook pages, it's tons of fun...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/15/17 6:21 p.m.

Yup. My record so far of banning (for normal stuff. Not trolling or political or...)

1 mopar forum

1 amc forum

The hamb

And a harris teeter in boone nc

Pretty proud of all but tbe harris teeter.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/15/17 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Dallas' package should be on your door step Wednesday . Open carefully since I didn't spray for critters!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/15/17 6:31 p.m.

Dude, you're the man!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/15/17 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

BTW. ..you aren't ditching the AMX grill are ya? Probably most valuable thing on caR. LOL

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/15/17 6:38 p.m.

Nope. Just haven't put it back on yet.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/24/17 8:27 p.m.

Challenge Budget: Car/parts $200

Donor Lincoln town car: 410

Engine crossmember: 120

Sold transmission crossmember from Lincoln: 10 Sold rear axle from lincoln: -50 Scrapped what was left of lincoln: -89

Sold AOD from lincoln (300, but can only recoup 261)

Engine swap: 5.0 plus 300 boot

Sold kelstar wheels-200 (cant recoup more than we spent)

2x2 angle iron, tractor supply 12.05

Brand new Watkins glen nascar slicks and wheels, which were bought for $50, and promptly sold to Dallas dad for $50 and some weld wheels with really old drag slicks. So, slicks were $0, but $50 taken out of the recoup limit.

6 5/8 heim and jamb nuts, as well as threaded tube for the front suspension: $65

Pair of aluminum seats, $40 and on;y usng 1 so $20. .

Sheet of flame retardant high density foam $10

Fire suppression system parts (not included in challenge budget. But ive had 2nd degree burns on the boys before, so were getting safety gear come hell or high water)

1/4 plate, scrap metal yard: 7.50

Mustang convertible mounts 22

Bending plate cost 25

Swedged tubing, ebay: 31.90

Threaded adjusters and 650lb springs, SRI performance: 65

2 used billstein shocks, pull-a-part: 14

Cage materials: 271.40

Spool welding wire: 33

Leaf spring sliders: 40

Clamps for spring adjusters: 23.59

Adjustable brake bias valve 18 (amazon)

2 cans of flat black spray paint (lowes project source) .97 ea

Half melted, used 21 circuit ez wiring harness cut from my duster after the mice chewed it up and it had a meltdown. $5 is what I was quoted as FMV due to the fact that copper prices are down.

Accessories and flexplate: see link in update

Battery cables and relays, pull-a-part: 12.75

Steering box, pull-a-part: 27.50

25feet 3/8 steel fuel line, ebay: 25.75

Bypass fuel pressure regulator, ebay: 29.23

fuel pump: 23

Used mix and match nitrous kit: 32

Two half cans of ford engine blue $7

3/8 plastic line clamps, lowes: 1.78

1/2 metal line clamps, lowes: 3.48

Throttle return springs and brackets: 5

3/8 2x compression fittings, 3x npt-compression, 1x t fitting from plumbing supply house: 6 battery hold down, oriellys 5.99

2x 36 inch 1x1 holey tube: 2

Driveshaft safety loop (dad bought it at an auction last week) 5

Tractor supply run for bolts and angle iron: 18.08

Wheels for monster slicks: 50 from facebook marketplace

Lower radiator hose: 14.82

Crimping a splice in power steering hose: 13.69

Oil filter: 4.17

Bucket of hose clamps (pull-a-part doesn't charge for these, so I added the admission charge to the yard): 1

Scrap chunk of 16gauge sheetmetal: .25

Suspension and 3.73 posi 8.8, offerup: 100

Traded ultralights and sun tach for pro-tach, mechanical 2 5/8 gauges and chunk of diamond plate from a 4x4 buggy guy down the street

Rear brake hose: Challenge budget exempt

Spark plug boot insulators, ebay, 11

Spring perches, amazon 17.49

Pipe standoffs (5) and 3/8 allthread, rhulens supply 8.22

Chunk of diamond plate: unknown. dad scrounged it somewhere, and said he got got for free. I just dont know where, or if I need to FMV it.

Misc crap (zipties, sheet metal screws, wiring terminals, used toggles, nuts and bolts, etc. Pretty much the little oddball crap that goes into every build that I had laying around from over the years) 50

Starter solenoid: 12ish (placeholder till I find the receipt or a cheaper one)

2 inch glasspacks, chunks of 2 inch exhaust tubing, and a little bit of stainless 2 inch: steves buddy: 15

Tow hook: 3?

Steering wheel from swap meet 5

Quick release, ebay: 19.99

Manual trans: 50

Flywheel: 45

2 dog leases 1.98

2 u joints: 21.98

2 u joint straps 5.99

Clutch kit, clutch master, clutch slave: 107.13 shipped

Power steering hose: 15.99

3/8 coupler: 2.50

Welding: 5

Alternator plugs: 2

New challenge budget total: 1753.14

In this installment of challenge car insanity. I break lots of stuff and get screwed/saved/come out slightly ahead.

A little housekeeping first. On another forum, the comment was made that our scrap pile seems a little too convenient to be true. Like im lying/cheating. Which im not. This scrap pile has been collecting for a couple of years now, as scrap was down, we were busy, etc. There’s probably 3 houses, and 8 or 9 cars worth of E36 M3 in these piles. But I wanted to take photographic proof to prove that I am just that damned lucky. [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170512_175207_zpsyyjnhtv9.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170512_175215_zpsxape3vi5.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170512_175219_zpsugejaogo.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170512_175227_zpsnts0l0gn.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170512_175235_zps1zfomg60.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170512_175236_zpsnwpqqur5.jpg.html][/URL]

First up, our last challenge car night together didn't go according to plan. We had carb issues, running issues, etc. To the point where we hydro-locked the engine when the cab bowl on the primaries overfilled. But before we get there, ill back up a smidge.

We started the night with a short list. Check plugs and headers for tightness. Bleed brakes. Install a lap belt. Install lights. Get running and idling. Test drive. Simple, right?

Right. Sure. Go ahead and laugh now, because you and I both know it aint never that easy.

So, we put Dallas on headers and plugs, me on wiring, Steve on Steve stuff. Dallas took three hours to get the 5 missing header bolts in and the spark plugs on the drivers side tight. Its not that Dallas is incompetant or lazy, its just that dad gum difficult to get to ANYTHING on the drivers side. Especially with the spark plugs being angled, the headers made for a different set of heads, and the steering column being essentially through the primaries in between the two. But he got it done.

While he was doing that, I was doing wiring. Installed the alternator plugs stampie scored for me (2 bucks at his junkyard), hooked up the headlights and spotlights that came with the car, hooked up the side markers and such as well. Still don't have brake lights, but im not sure why. Haven't really looked yet either, which you will see why shortly. Heres pictures of the lighting. You can also see out tow hook better. [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170513_002146_zpsrpzm8o8a.jpg.html][/URL]

While we were doing this, Steve was nut and bolt checking things, servicing the fire bottles, and making a dash cap out of gas flue from the scrap pile. Im pretty sure that the flue came from a rental house rehab in china grove, but don't quote me on that. [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170515_194458_zps2phozodr.jpg.html][/URL]

We also spent an inordinate amount of time and brake fluid to finally get the brakes bled. And ate the paint off the trans tunnel. But we got that done. And the leaks fixed. Which meant it was time for a test drive!

Except it wouldn't idle. Or run consistently. While I was in drivers seat monitoring gauges and keeping it living, Dallas and Steve were setting timing (by ear, as there is no freaking way to actually get a light on the pointer on the drivers side, and the passengers side pointer has no corresponding marks on the balancer) setting float level, trying to bring the idle down from 2k, etc. Fought us every step of the way, and then overheated. Joy. While we had the key running for the fan to cool it off, we noticed the strong smell of gas. Discovered that the primary bowl vent was spewing gas even after we lowered the float the whole way. Hydro-locked the engine. Done for the night.

Next day, I drained the oil, changed the filter, and pulled the needle and seat to see if it was stuck. It was. With this. [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170513_152128_zpshveaojnn.jpg.html][/URL]

After that, got the float set. Then, found out TV cable was causing the engine to hang at 2k by not letting the throttle blade close completely. Little bending of the bracket cured that. Added another 1/2 gallon of coolant, and overheating issue went away. Replaced the fragged rear u joint, finished filling the trans with fluid, and began to bleed the power steering system. Promptly blew our hose splice all over the shop. Done for the day.

This should be simple, right? Well, its not. Late model o ring jeep box, mid 90s ford pump.

No way to get there from here off the shelf, or cheaply. What I wound up doing was buying a new jeep hose (15.99 orielly) and a 3/8 inverted female flare fitting (2.50) the plan was to flare the metal ends and make a replaceable fitting. Except when I got the ford fitting out, there wasn't enough left to flare. Solution was to have a chunk of 3/8 fuel line welded to it. So I called my local welding guy sonny. He said to bring my pieces over. For 5 bucks, he used some sort of silver welding rod and oxy-acetaline and had it done in less time than it took to type. While waiting for one of his machines to finish a pistol part. He actually gave me my 5 bucks back when I helped him find his chuck key for his big lathe.

[URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170515_140212_zps1zj8b9kr.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170516_182645_zpsiyzloxyt.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170516_182650_zpst30uoh2y.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170516_183626_zpsv3lbdr3h.jpg.html][/URL] We also got our inside door latched sorted out. Dollar store dog leashes. The little buckle even fit through the factory linkage hole with slight grinding. Works perfect! Steve is again mcgyver. [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170515_194506_zpsiz55ovp2.jpg.html][/URL] So after all this it was time for the test drive of glory. To say I was excited is an understatement. I about pissed myself with glee.

Got in, fired it up, shifted into reverse, and nothing. Stood on the brakes, revved the piss out of it, still nothing. Added fluid. Nothing. Added more fluid. Nothing. Changed the filter. Nothing. Son of a.....

So I pulled the trans. Turns out when we re-installed it we somehow missed the torque converter engagement and destroyed the front pump. Screwed is an understatement. Discouraged and frustrated is an understatement. Walked away for a few days, talked to some people to see what options we have, etc.

Guy at church offered me a trade. A 79 ford longbed with a 302 and 3 on the floor for our dead trans. Seems his one work truck has a bad valve body, and he needs one. Ours was presumably fine (hes a ford guy), and the rest of the trans good as well based upon fluid, previous drive experiences when it was in the Lincoln, etc. His plan was to drop the ford off with us, grab the trans, replace the pump, and put it in his work truck. The longbed he got for free, as a guy he used to rent a building to left it there. 5 years ago. He was going to scrap it, so instead he planned to trade it to us.

Well, no plan of battle ever survives contact with the enemy.

His grandson, who has a 77 ford longbed 4x4, got sideswiped in a hit and run. Grandson had liability only. So, family first. Cant blame the guy. But he wound up giving us 300 for the trans, as that was still cheaper than he could find a known good one for, or even the valvebody he needed. Which left us with enough money in the budget for a trans, but no trans.

Dad came to the rescue. From his RV in Colorado, he found a 3 hour old listing for a ford 302 3 speed trans in Roanoke Virginia for 50 bucks. Supposedly rebuilt, with floor shifter and bellhousing. Jumped in the truck, drove to Roanoke and back in about 7 hours, and picked it up. Then discovered that it was a fixed yoke from a longbed, and did not have a 302 bell. It had a 390 bell. Managed to trade the 390 bell to Gary at city salvage for the 302 bell. Bought a 302 flywheel from craigslist for 45 bucks. In a stroke of good fortune, it all plays nicely together! Even the bloackplate, inspection cover, and starter from the AOD fit! [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170520_182927_zpsrc4jvehn.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170523_180208_zpsk8gcvd19.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s54.photobucket.com/user/dusterbd13/media/amc/20170523_180216_zpsg7sb6mku.jpg.html][/URL] The next hurdle is getting the clutch actuation worked out. In 1980, AMC used a hydraulic clutch setup in the 4cyl spirits. We still have a clutch pedal. So, when I ordered my clutch kit from rockauto, I ordered that setup. Should work with minor fab. We also need to add the splined section from the explorer driveshaft to the current hybrid shaft. Making this the 4th configuration of driveshaft with the car never leaving the lift. Hopefully,though, at the end of the holiday weekend it will be moving under its own power. Assuming all our parts get here on time, and it goes according to plan. Ha!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/24/17 8:35 p.m.

Ugh!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/24/17 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

yup!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/24/17 8:51 p.m.

And here I thought you were going to write some long dramatic post.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/24/17 8:57 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

does me aggravation come across? it should....

but were on the far side now. we have a plan again. were same spot budget wise, if not a few dollars less. were going to have a more awesome car with a stick, and that was the ultimate goal after the challenge anywys. just one with more gears. should be pretty good in second with the 3.73 and 27 inch tires. 80ish mph at 5500.

oughtta be fun!

ill also have to relearn how to launch a stick car at the strip. that's been a minute....

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
5/24/17 9:06 p.m.

Wow. On the bright side, this build story is even more epic now.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/24/17 9:37 p.m.

Duster...what are you showing as recouped thus far? I.e., have you reached $1008.50 total max yet?

Second question. Have you hit the maximum recoup on your initial $200 amx spirit purchase?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/24/17 9:39 p.m.

amc was zerod out. Lincoln is now zerod out. max recoup is getting close I believe. need to add that up, but I know for certain that we are at 660 plus. but I have nothing left to zero out, so....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/24/17 9:44 p.m.

First of all, there is no doubt you are playing by the rules and not cheating. That is obvious period so don't let anybody suggest otherwise. the reason I asked about zeroing out the AMX was to suggest a rules interpretation that would help you. But since you've zeroed it out it won't work. Don't forget to back out stuff that you've taken off that you originally charged yourself for

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/24/17 9:51 p.m.

I need to sit down with the budget, excel, and the thread real soon and confirm my numbers. Im pretty sure theres still something left in the budget that is no longer on the car.

And i believe in rigorous honesty, even when it is to my detriment. It would be so much easier if i could lie....

But i refuse to. That just ain't my bag. I gotta look myself in the mirror. Also, as svrex said, this whole thing is summed up by : don't be a dick and be prepared to be judged by a jury of your peers.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/24/17 10:38 p.m.

So which three speed is that, the 3.03? What ratios are in the thing? I assumed it was a 3.03 with a 2.79 first and 1.70 second. 27 inch tire gets you to about 120mph top speed keeping a redline under 6k. Should be a terror at the drag strip assuming a wide torque curve.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/25/17 5:59 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

Its a 3.03. Bot sure which version yet though, as rbe tag was too bad to read. I did the math with 3.73 gears, 27 tall tires, and 5500 rmp redline (conservative). I. Hoping tbat its a good shifting trans or can be made into one, and that it works well with our emgine whuch we think will have a pretty flat torque curve.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/25/17 6:06 a.m.

I think the three speed makes for a much more interesting car. It sucks that you had to go through the emotional rollercoaster that was the auto box eating itself, but the end result should be worth it. I'm looking forward to seeing in car video of this thing being driven in anger.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/25/17 6:45 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Agreed. And im looking forward to MAKING in car video if this thing being driven in anger.

Tracking says all parts should be in by friday, but start arriving today.

And feedback on pai t colors for bellhousing and trans?

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/25/17 7:12 a.m.

I would paint it with whatever is cheapest. The 3.03 should be up to whatever your 302 can muster as far as strength. Good trading around and keeping costs under control after the issues with the AOD.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/25/17 7:44 a.m.

I have a little ford blue, a little cast coat iron, a can of black, and a little cast coat aluminium. Ford blue is already in the budget. Others would be 3.50

Im worried about the concourse portion as well.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/25/17 7:52 a.m.

One of the metal colors then. Easier to find leaks and looks nicer, I think, than black, and it won't look like you fogged it with the engine still attached.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/25/17 8:22 a.m.

Kind of how i was leaning. Cast iron case, black bracket, blue bellhousing. Its just more work.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4rgGnGEoyAqBYECS5v3nLicNU867yi1K2K9eroVY052vI9D8Xb7rMEushI9L98dw