mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/10/17 8:22 p.m.

That's so berkeleying cool.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
6/10/17 8:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Thanks stampie. Have no idea how to do that

Go to the URL in a browser (might need to enable desktop mode) and hit the share icon below the video. Then hit the embedded tab and copy and paste the provided link into your post. Just about as easy as bleeding a hydraulic clutch.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/10/17 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

As i have well proved, bleeding the clutch is not always that easy....

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/11/17 7:33 a.m.

Car looks aweome! I really like it vintage circle track looks....wait until after challenge to put flares on it.

Engine and bay look super sano...nice work

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 7:54 a.m.

Now that all the wheelwells are radiused, i agree. Just looms evil and purposeful now instaed of the dirt track hack we had going on before.

Do think blacking out the wheelwells will help considerably.

Today i try driving it again now that the steering wheel is bolted down. And earmuffs so i can feel the car vs hear the car. Too much sensory input last night.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 9:50 a.m.

Ran it again. Steering is very vague and unresponsive. Brakes dont lock up.

Adjusted tire pressure, made the bounciness much better. At 20 psi cold now. Probably need to lower a bit more.

Carb definately needs tuned.

Unable to shift second from any rpm without double clutching.

Need to fill floor holes

HOT

Exhause leaks

Loud

Need to confirm tach accuracy

Monster in first at wfo. But bad carb tune.

Timing could be advanced

Windshield opaque in sun

Pretty much a list for me.....

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
6/11/17 12:26 p.m.

For some reason as I was reading your list I kept saying man that sounds like a fun car.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 1:20 p.m.

Oh, dont get me wrong. Its fun.

Just a punch list of teething problems.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/11/17 4:31 p.m.

Too cool!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 4:38 p.m.

I was so excited friday night i couldn't sleep. So i sort of dozed off and on in front if die hard and fight club, hence the film names.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/11/17 5:06 p.m.

It's a Special Feeling when you Bring one to Life, A Euphoric Fear, Feels Good. What a Great Combo of Parts and Knowledge on you and crews Part. On a tire like that the Air pressure needs to be Determined by temps.across the surface, the Bounce Means Maybe to Stiff/ not enough Shock Un hook any Sway bars try that don't be scared of softer springs you've removed a lot of weight.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/11/17 5:38 p.m.

Love it

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/11/17 5:43 p.m.

Looking forward to watching the progress on getting the kinks worked out. You have an awesome work ethic.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 7:23 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

The first run was at 35psi. Where the tire shop set the new to me f40s. I reset this morning to 20psi cold, and ran it up the road. Our road is ROUGH. regularly bottom out the miata and elky at anything over 40. Let alone this thing, with spring rate of a train and shocks from 4x4 full size gm trucks. And no bump stops.

I fully expect to have to tune spring rate and sway bar. But first, id like even coloring across the tire so i know im in the ballpark. At 20psi, only the center 3 inches is a good black. Rest is still full of marbles and dirt. Which i read as overinflated in this application.

Additionally, this thing is an absolute handful. Not entirely sure what is happening here. I may try out the 15x7 and 205/50/15 combi that we store the car on to see if its car or wheel/tire related. My gut feeling says its wheel/tire and road crown.

Everyone else: thanks for tbe encouragement. Ill try to get a full document update this week.

Im also going to bleed the brakes some more, switch tires, adjust the shift linkage, and run it again. Or let dallas run it. We really need liability insurance and a plate. Would make it a lot less illegal.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/11/17 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: regarding air pressure , I kinda mean don't use the tire as a spring, and it will take a few miles on the street to get tire temps up.Is A Closed down Shopping Plaza Close by Or an afternoon warm ups at the local round track, Just make some circles to warm them up to check or ask if some one has the track rented one day then ask them to let you heat up the car.
Got to Finish so make it reliable too.

But darn Dude Kool Car

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/11/17 8:48 p.m.

Thats a good idea. See if the local short track has test and tune. May be able to work a lot of kinks out....

Also, now im wondering how and if i can get enough heat in these in the autocross to make them work. Or, is that where tire doping comes into play?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/12/17 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: Yes and yes and remember the torpedo heaters after a couple Back to back Laps at 5/8 speed you should see some heat,Zig Zag down the return road, Big Figure 8's in the Parking lot, Be creative

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/12/17 9:43 a.m.

Unfortunately, at the local events hotlapping, electricity, and being able to hoon for tire heating are ount.

So i will have to do some research....

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/12/17 11:15 a.m.

Scary Gary is alive and prowlin' about!!!! Has your 'pit crew' signed the quarter panel yet? The stance is spot on.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/12/17 11:19 a.m.

The pit crew signatures haven't happed yet. But will....

Thanks!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/12/17 1:18 p.m.

I love this thread

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9aBnDKLv7h0awRL8H8pt6TRh4bvaRJvBazPeAM8oN6BqtMmLhcsRj6Dn89RqhSyi