rdcyclist
rdcyclist HalfDork
2/26/24 3:21 p.m.

I would put the tabs behind the screen, sammiching the screen between the strip and the aforementioned tabs. I'm pitchering the tabs 1"x1"x1" (insert desired screen rake) angle with gussets to keep them from folding back. Probably 6 across the entire screen. You could put a E36 M3load of them for grins but six would be sufficient IMHO...

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
2/29/24 4:29 p.m.

Progress on the windscreen bracket. Needs a little tweaking but I think it should look and work ok.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/1/24 10:38 a.m.

Most excellent progress! Ought to be pretty fun when it's finished.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/1/24 2:42 p.m.

Windscreen bracket fabrication is done. Turned out better than I thought I would be able to get it. Here it is with the windscreen mocked up. I'm thinking about lowering the crown in the center.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/24 3:47 a.m.

In reply to Sofa King :

I'm thinking the sides of the windscreen should be angled outward slightly instead of vertical, but I'm not sure you have enough room to do that. 

Regardless, it's looking great!

Piguin
Piguin Reader
3/2/24 5:57 a.m.

Either that or a softer radius on the edges. Added bonus, it probably would look better with the current crown.

On the other hand, the center of the car isn't exactly the point you want more deflection...

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/2/24 7:53 a.m.

Thanks, I appreciate the input! I intend to keep playing with the shape of the upper corners. The two sides are not quite the same now, but for a first try it's not terrible,

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
3/2/24 9:05 a.m.

I have never driven a roadster with a short windscreen, will that keep the bugs out of your teeth?

I know getting hit by a bug in the face while riding a motorcycle hurts!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/2/24 9:23 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

I'm about to find out! I'm expecting to have to wear eye protection at the very least.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
3/2/24 9:26 a.m.

I can hardly wait to see it painted!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/3/24 3:34 p.m.

Lowered it 1/2" and made it all one color so I could see it better. Happy with the shape now!

BTW sat in the car on a 2" pad and my eyes are below the top of the screen. It will give me plenty of room to play with seat height. (I'm 6'2")

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/10/24 6:38 p.m.

Lexan is cut and installed. I laid it back another 20 degrees and I like the more aggressive look. I switched to individual brackets instead of the larger single piece, thinking that it would look lighter , but now I'm waffling on that. Here is what I have now.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
3/10/24 6:43 p.m.

I like the individual ones ....

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/10/24 9:53 p.m.
TurboFource said:

Agreed. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist HalfDork
3/11/24 12:23 p.m.

I like the individual ones too. I would strongly suggest having mounts on the backside of those. Lexan is remarkable in many ways but can have trouble with some organic solvents, like gasoline so sammiching the screen between two mounts would improve the strength of the mounting and resistance to cracking.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/11/24 1:11 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
TurboFource said:

Agreed. 

Another up vote yes

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/11/24 1:45 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

The angle of the screen makes it difficult to put a bracket (and it's hardware) behind the Lexan, but I do plan to sandwich it between the bracket and a washer with rubber between the metal and the polycarbonate.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/11/24 1:46 p.m.

Thanks all! I appreciate the input! I feel much more confident in my choice!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/13/24 2:58 p.m.

First time on its wheels with the new body.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
3/13/24 4:41 p.m.

How about a pair of cut down MGA windshield end supports for your Lexan screen? Maybe even a lower MGA windshield frame piece if the curvature is close. Finish things off nicely and in keeping with the British heritage of the body shell.

https://bringatrailer.com/2011/07/03/bat-exclusive-enhanced-1958-mga-roadster/

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
3/13/24 4:57 p.m.

Awesome milestone reached 🙂

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/14/24 8:07 a.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

End supports might be needed if there is too much flex, but I will have to fabricate them.  

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/19/24 1:38 p.m.

Trying to figure out how to mount the roll hoop. So I put the original Fiero seat back in to get an idea of how much room I actually will have.  If I put it all the way back against the bulkhead, I can't touch the gas pedal! I've never had that happen before!

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/24/24 5:28 p.m.

"Roll bar" is tacked together and bolted in place. Probably wouldn't pass any tech requirements, but it's as stout as I can make it.

Sofa King
Sofa King HalfDork
3/24/24 8:11 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gT7VdouGDh8kgjStY9egywBCvuXqOMyR3QScbjKAQqbi0blBKoOG56n2I3SJvpkZ