4 5 6 7
iansane
iansane SuperDork
8/12/24 11:07 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
jfryjfry said:

Maybe a dumb question but can your rise height sensor be retrofitted to a new control arm that doesn't have it??

sure, and that's what i'd do if it was just me fixing my car in my garage. but this is Allstate fixing my car and providing a lifetime guarantee on the repairs. now that i've been subject to this cluster, i'm (maybe) going to design a retrofit sensor mount for the non-MR control arms. Will be a small target market, LOL.

Well, you've got at least one buyer. I always like to have parts just in case.

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
8/13/24 5:48 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Don't forget about the hot Cadillac option either if you want to stay GM. NLA parts are getting bad with Ford too, I couldn't get any of the carpet for a 2020 Expedition anymore for a water leak job last week.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/14/24 9:41 a.m.

I thought the auto manufacturers had to have parts supply for 10 years?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/14/24 11:02 a.m.
docwyte said:

I thought the auto manufacturers had to have parts supply for 10 years?

Google says that's an urban legend, and there is no legal requirement. Generally speaking, manufacturers keep parts available to get the newest model out of warranty.

8/14/24 11:04 a.m.
Doubleoh9 said:

Don't forget about the hot Cadillac option either if you want to stay GM. 

I looked at CT4V and CT5V Blackwings, but the interiors didn't do it for me and goddamn those names are berkeleying stupid.

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
8/14/24 2:22 p.m.

Agreed, the names are dumb. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/14/24 2:27 p.m.
Doubleoh9 said:

Agreed, the names are dumb. 

I mean, "Chevrolet SS" doesn't exactly belong in the hall of fame for names, either. laugh

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
8/14/24 6:54 p.m.

1. Glad it wasn't more serious and it's fixable.

2. Too bad it wasn't rear ended so you could make it a modern el Camino!

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
8/15/24 8:37 a.m.

I wish the CT4V came with the LS motor vs the turbo V6.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/18/24 4:38 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Angry, post the part numbers up. This collection of automotive idiot savants will find them. 

Front right lower control arm for 2015-2017 SS Sedan. It's not the same as 2014 SS or any year Caprice PPV because those vehicles don't have MR ride height sensor.

GM original only or are Australian aftermarkets ok?  The Kiwis have some from a company called Whiteline in stock link

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
8/18/24 8:12 p.m.

Everything I have bought from whiteline has been awesome!  They are my go to for aftermarket alignment stuff and specific bushings.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/18/24 8:53 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Everything I have bought from whiteline has been awesome!  They are my go to for aftermarket alignment stuff and specific bushings.

The sways and panhard on my Mustang are Whiteline brand. I'm impressed with the quality so far. Vorshalg uses them, which tells me they can take track abuse.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/18/24 10:26 p.m.

If i'm looking at that diagram right, what an interesting suspension design. Almost as if the LCA has been split into two single links

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltimaDork
8/19/24 7:53 a.m.
budget_bandit said:

If i'm looking at that diagram right, what an interesting suspension design. Almost as if the LCA has been split into two single links

I remember my audi a4 (b5) that had 4 front control arms on each side.  2 lower and 2 upper.  It had 16 ball joints in the front....

8/20/24 12:14 p.m.

I bought a JY LCA from a 60k car off eBay, as well as a pair of new LCAs from a company called SuperPro USA. OGM part had additional material in the casting (forging?) which is machined for the sensor attachment point:

vs the aftermarket which just welds a machined tab onto the non-MR LCA:

I delivered the OGM part to the collision shop yesterday AM, and they're supposed to call me with an update this afternoon. berkeley, I want my car back!

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/20/24 11:05 p.m.

Yes! Win for finding parts! Glad you were able to source one. Hopefully back in your possession with all speed

8/20/24 11:12 p.m.

Today's update: LCA did not fix the positive camber issue. Collision shop ordered new knuckle, still available from GM, should have that tomorrow. I suggested that they also check the strut tube, as a similar impact on our 2010 Ody bent the strut tube on that car. Unrelated to the camber issue, I asked them to make sure the steering rack operates smoothly from lock to lock. I know the tie rod is the weak link, but I want to make sure it's all good before they try to push it out the door. So far both Allstate and the repair shop have been good to deal with.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
8/21/24 11:28 a.m.

Good call - I'd be very surprised if the knuckle bent but the strut.... seems like the next place I'd look

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/24 11:42 a.m.

I bought a JY LCA from a 60k car off eBay, as well as a pair of new LCAs from a company called SuperPro USA...

Unsurprisingly, SuperPro is based in Australia. I've had a set of their poly bushings in a Miata since the 90's.

8/22/24 11:49 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Good call - I'd be very surprised if the knuckle bent but the strut.... seems like the next place I'd look

Right?!?!

well, "tomorrow" turned into next Wednesday because "it's the last new front right knuckle in the GM parts system". So again today i said "check the strut." Since the car is drivable and back at the body shop, they're doing the panel work now. In theory, when the knuckle fixes the camber next week (I suspect it won't), I could get my car back next Friday. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/23/24 7:42 a.m.

Have them save the "bad" knuckle for you to use as a spare when the new one doesn't fix the problem.  

8/29/24 3:30 p.m.

It's a Peaches & Herb afternoon. 3BABY9 is home!

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
8/29/24 3:34 p.m.

Was it the knuckle after all?

8/29/24 4:29 p.m.
flat4_5spd said:

Was it the knuckle after all?

Collision shop owner said he didn't see anything wrong with the old knuckle, when comparing them side by side. He said they loosened everything, put the new knuckle on, cinched everything down, and it aligns within spec. They didn't slot any holes, they didn't use crash bolts, they didn't chain it to a tree. Wheel is centered and it goes straight down the road. Alignment passes my visual inspection (LOL), so I'm calling it good.

8/29/24 4:32 p.m.

And to make a great day even greater, wawazat stopped by with a gift he's been holdin' for years:

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3QrEO66vyCXPGO5p9kfnSjoxBxYSDu1fwDsJewyfaCtwwJSmAx9r4foQNLyD0gqO