5 6 7 8 9
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/5/11 9:54 a.m.

UPDATES: 6/5/2011

Note: I apologize for the less-detailed shots, my camera decided it wasn't going to work anymore so I am using the cell phone. Grumble-grumble.

So yesterday was 85 degrees outside and I spent a lot of it working on the Javelin! This was one of the longest sessions I've gotten ever and I made some terrific progress to prepare for the next round of parts.

Painted, too.

I wasn’t really clear in my last update, but when I said stuff was getting primered I didn’t mean that it was going to stay that way. I’ve been using my makeshift paint booth area to prime and paint brackets and pieces from the car after sanding them down. I’ve been restoring the hardware as well. This is the radiator filler plate and driver’s fender brace, both done in factory gloss black. Yes, I realize the outside of the car looks like poo, but that doesn’t mean under the hood has to.

Rust-B-Gone!

One of the worst areas of rust on the Javelin is pretty common amongst all cars, the battery tray. At some point in it’s life some acid leaked onto it and it was heavily destroyed. Luckily these are both removable and remanufactured. Since my new one is on it’s way I had to remove the old one. Two bolts came out without much grief, but the third and final one required some chiseling, some choice words, and one gouge to my forearm (hooray for cleaning rust out of bloody wounds!) to come loose. It’s all out and prep work on the metal underneath can begin.

Ready for re-installation

The battery tray bolts to the inner fender apron, and mine was pretty solid underneath. A few minutes with the wire wheel, some wire brushes, and primer and paint and it’s good as new. At some point I will probably move the battery to the trunk but for now the factory location will be fine. I’m just happy that the metal was all in good shape under that horrific battery tray!

A little more blue...

I’ve slowly been able to de-grease the engine and get it repainted it’s factory EN66 Blue color. This is important to me because it’s the one part of the car I can make look better, and I like working on clean engines. Besides, it is helping me identify leaks, broken vacuum lines, etc.

Clean on the outside, clean on the inside

The inside of the engine is amazingly clean! There was no varnish or sludge in the valve cover at all and the rockers all looked clean, no over-heating discoloration, no bent pushrods, no metal deposits. This is exactly what you want to see inside a 38-year-old engine!

6090!!!

The 6090 (last 4 before the dash) heads are the second-best AMC casting after the 6291’s. They feature the dog-leg exhaust ports that flow more, big 2.025/1.680 valves, and the early style single adjustable rockers with a 57.92cc chamber. This means I can use aftermarket rocker arms (the later heads use a net-lash bridged rocker), and the heads themselves are totally worth keeping. With a few changes to the engine (cam, rockers, intake manifold, carburetor, ignition, and headers) these heads are capable of close to 400HP and 475FtLbs stock! This also confirms that this is the original engine, as the 73 360 4-barrel is the only engine to get them. My car is “matching numbers”.

Original decals

These are reproductions of the decals originally found on my engine. Usually you got either the lid decal on the top of the lid, or the square decal on the side of the cleaner. So why do I have both and two of the side decals?

Chrome, I has it.

That’s why! After a few hours of cleaning, degreasing, scraping, and vacuuming, I was able to put the motor back together. All of the brackets that could be removed were and cleaned and painted separately (like the coil brackets), the engine bay and other components were masked off, and the engine painted (the passenger side anyways). I then installed the new chrome valve cover with sticker and new gasket, new air cleaner with sticker (note that the tall stud clears the hood and is there for the 4” K&N on it’s way), and generally re-routed wires, ignition cables (that still need nice separators), and hoses. NOW it’s starting to look like an engine!

This felt really good to accomplish as it's the first real part of the project that feels like I've made actual headway. You can open the hood and actually see all of the work. Just to re-cap, here's what I started with (after de-mouse-nesting and installing the new ignition):

Next I tackle the other side of the engine, the other wheel-house (it still needs it's sanding and black-out), and I'll wrap up dis-assembly of the brake system (master, booster, and lines). Coming in the next box is a complete factory 71-74 Javelin & AMX Kelsey-Hayes front dis brake setup, including new booster, master cylinder, ball joints, spindles, and hoses. I also have the aforementioned battery tray and some other stuff coming as well. Once the brakes are on it will be time to drain the coolant, pull the radiator, and replace all of the belts and hoses.

a401cj
a401cj Reader
6/5/11 11:02 a.m.

for some mysterious reason that science and physics cannot explain, dirty engine that looks like poo will always run better. You've sacrificed at least 10 - 15 HP

Nice job BTW

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
6/5/11 1:25 p.m.

Nice job on the engine cleanup!

Jay
Jay SuperDork
6/5/11 2:12 p.m.

Impressive, good job on getting to the "after" state without pulling it.
Now that you know it's original does that mean the 401 swap plan is off the table?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/5/11 2:25 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

Nice, Mike. It looks really good.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/5/11 8:21 p.m.
Jay wrote: Impressive, good job on getting to the "after" state without pulling it. Now that you know it's original does that mean the 401 swap plan is off the table?

The 401 is a very, very long-term deal. My 401 needs everything and I would like to build it as a pretty extreme engine (11.5:1, E85-fueled, aluminum heads, solid roller cam, etc).

As long as the 360 stays healthy, it will remain. It's not like the 360 is a bad engine mind.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/5/11 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Rad_Capz:

In reply to JoeyM:

Thanks fellas!

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
6/25/11 11:42 p.m.

Updates: 6/25/2011

Santa came!!!!

There were some heavy boxes left on the doorstep, I wonder what they could be?

Well one box contained a new power booster, a master cylinder, a radiator hose, a marker light lens, a set of rear brake rebuild kits, a rear proportioning valve, a trunk lock, and a battery tray!

And in box #2...

I have to confess, I was nervous about this. See, there was supposed to be 3 boxes. One of the missing boxes held half of this picture. Luckily, it showed up the following day.

Anyways, boxes #2 and #3 held complete lower front suspension and brake assemblies from a 1973 Javelin AMX. These are the desirable (and still available) Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes! Single piston sliding calipers and vented rotors. This set also came with new upper ball joints and new tie rod ends! I will have to disassemble these, turn the rotors, rebuild the calipers, fit new lower ball joints and bushings, and new brake hoses, but it was well worth it. This was a gift from my Dad for helping him out with a Jeep + a ton of AMC motor purchases out here. These are the correct brakes for the car and will work nicely with the correct factory master, booster, and prop valve he sent me!

And now for the other side...

I kinda hate to admit it, but my motor is only 1/2 clean and shiny… It’s time to clean and paint the driver’s side and install the chrome valve cover. This will of course all be easier with the booster and master out of the way that I have to remove anyways…

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/25/11 11:58 p.m.

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the stuff installed.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
6/26/11 10:19 p.m.

Looking good man. I'm so jealous.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
7/4/11 5:37 p.m.

Updates: 7/4/2011

Battery tray is in.

The new battery tray is now installed with new hardware. Since the fender/framerail metal was still nice and solid, the tray was all that needed to be replaced. Going in took a lot less time then coming out!

And electrical system finished, too.

Now that the battery tray is solid and rust-free I was able to reinstall the battery, with the factory hold-down this time! I also was able to permanently wire the starter solenoid ground wire, get rid of the extra chassis ground I had going to the radiator support, and generally clean up the wiring around the battery and starter circuit. With all that done and in I was able to reinstall the freshly sanded and painted fender support bar. Now everything is clean, matches the factory wiring diagrams, and functions. Nice.

Lens replaced.

Not the most exciting update, I know, but the broken lens would have failed the safety inspection, which I need to pass to issue the new title. Not only are all of the lenses now legal, the lights themselves work as well. The factory flashers and switches were all good, they just needed 12V and a bulb here and there. It’s another thing off of the checklist!

Happy Independence Day!

I celebrated July 4th by firing the 360 up and letting her turn some gas into sweet, sweet noise. Ahh, freedom.

Anyways, the motor still runs great, and all of the finished electrics work, so another successful session!

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
7/4/11 9:47 p.m.

Well done.

GearBanger
GearBanger None
7/26/11 9:06 p.m.

Super job on the Javelin. Is the battery tray for an AMC Javelin? My battery tray is shot and I need to get one.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
7/26/11 9:40 p.m.

Yes, that is the correct original battery tray for a Javelin. PM me and I'll send you the details of where to get it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/27/11 9:53 a.m.

N E Moar updaytz?

GearBanger
GearBanger New Reader
7/27/11 5:31 p.m.

Is the Javelin street legal yet? I really enjoyed the youtube videos. Funny thing with my Javelin, it won't start with a remote start on the solenoid, which makes setting the points a real pain.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
7/27/11 5:52 p.m.

I haven't worked on it in awhile. Been trying to get another dead 360 (in a Jeep J10) running for my dad, plus SWMBO got pregnant. I have a few more things to get finished up before I can get back to the Javelin.

GearBanger
GearBanger New Reader
7/27/11 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I do have the '77 AMC factory ignition system for my next upgrade. I don't care for adjusting points anymore. That's for you young guys.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
8/25/11 12:39 p.m.

Update time!

More stuff!

Another box from Santa (my Dad) came in containing everything I need to restore the rear drum brakes! All I have to purchase to complete the total brake rebuild and swap is a set of hard lines and a set of rubber hoses.

Welcome to the Jungle!

So the Javelin hasn’t been worked on much (at all) lately, because I’ve been getting a J20 running for my Dad, so we can ship it cross-country with 3 AMC 401’s in it’s bed (and a TF727 trans). In the mean time, weeds decided that the Javelin’s parking area should look more like Vietnam! Had to break out the weed killer and spray…

Sorry that not much work has gotten done on the Javelin lately. We've had a million things to do at the house (oven fire, kitchen remodel), with the family (new nephew, new niece, Mrs. Javelin is pregnant now, too), and with the other cars (updates coming, plus I've been working on a Jeep J20).

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
9/10/11 12:17 p.m.

Updates!

Ewww...

This is the fuel filter that I bought brand new for this thing for it’s entire ownership here. I’ve been sucking gas from a new fuel hose through the original pump and into this before it hits the carb. The gas is coming out of a fuel can. So this is the gunk that was just in the fuel pump! Obviously I need to order new fuel lines and have the tank cleaned before I can think about using the original fuel system…

More blue

I finally started making some progress on the other side of the engine! The intake is now entirely the original EN-66 blue color and the chrome valve cover is ready to install.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
9/10/11 1:54 p.m.

Looking good.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
9/11/11 9:21 p.m.

Glad to see an AMC 360 getting built. This is an overlooked motor.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
10/10/11 9:35 p.m.

Updates: 10/10/2011

Covered work area

It may not look like much, but this metal and tarp contraption will allow me to work on the Javelin over the winter. It will also keep the interior dry while I pull all of it out for replacement.

Welding!

Was does this have to do with the Javelin project you ask? Well, the quarter panels both have small rust holes, and there’s about 50 trim holes to fill from the no-longer-existing vinyl top. It was cheaper (and made more sense) to sign up for a welding class at my local community college than to pay somebody to do the work. I’m learning, and it’s one more task I’ll be able to complete on this car myself! I’ve always wanted to learn, so why not start now?

Matching head, good valvetrain

I finally got around to the Driver’s side valve cover and the numbers on this head match the other head and the block. As far as I can tell, this engine has never been apart, which is a good thing! The valvetrain on this side looked to be in excellent condition as well.

More chrome!

And with that I cleaned and painted the hardware for this side and installed the aftermarket chrome valve cover. Much better looking! This cover was significantly harder to get in place as the power steering hoses, brake booster, and fuel lines are all on this side. This side also had a much leakier valve cover gasket, so I am happy to get that fixed.

401 is going away...

Part of the reason progress on the Javelin has been so slow is that my Dad bought a Jeep J-20 near me. After months of fiddling, it was determined that the engine was trash and it didn’t run. Either way, I had to load up his two 401’s and a 727TF transmission for it all to be shipped back to Florida. Since there was room (and I don’t need it), my 401 is going as well. My Dad builds AMC race motors (all of these are cores for rebuilds), so the shortblock will be in good hands. It will sit quietly in his shop while accumulate the needed funds and parts for my high-compression screamer…

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/5/11 9:44 a.m.

Updates!

Brakes disassembled:

I was finally able to get to the brake assemblies that my Dad sent and take them all apart. I found new upper ball joints and pads. I’m going to have the rotors turned and of course the rubber brake lines are getting replaced.

Control Arms?

Here’s a spare pair of front lower control arms that came with the brakes. What’s up with them? Well, as you can see, they are simple stamped steel pieces. That U-Shape is not very strong and the swaybar endlink attaches to where the bend is. Many a road racer has had issues with these. I’m going to do something about it…

Boxed!

So I boxed them! (Well, one in this picture…) I made a metal plate that boxes in the open underside and welded them together in the welding class I’m taking. This should make the arms much stronger for not a lot more weight (this is pretty thin gauge stuff). Oh, but I’m not done with them yet. Stay tuned…

Driver's Side Blacked Out:

I also finally got around to scrubbing, sanding, and painting the wheelwell on the driver’s side to match the passenger. Yeah, I know the suspension is still rusty looking. The brake replacement became a front-end rebuild when I figured out I already owned spares of everything (upper and lower control arms, upper and lower ball joints, uprights, and steering links). The lower control arms are getting beefed up, then I’ll paint all of the spares, and have new bushings (poly? graphite?) pressed in. Then I can disassemble what’s on the car and reassemble with the new stuff in one day. The car’s already in the air and have all the parts, so not doing it would have been dumb, especially considering the car has the factory 1973 ball joints on it…

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
11/5/11 10:54 a.m.

Nice work Javelin. I think it's cool that you took a welding class. I'll have to look into that. They have them at community colleges? Please do me a favor and don't paint the outside. It's got just the right amount of patina.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lc5XS3ePGPjhSlJ20VZ8dcuVEo9AxV0XlczP2Huetj9oCv2aIqgLVZlTIf6xEePX