Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/5/12 9:25 a.m.

You know, I keep hearing that but there's thousands of hot rods rolling around in all-primer that don't seem to rust. What am I missing?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
2/5/12 9:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote: You know, I keep hearing that but there's thousands of hot rods rolling around in all-primer that don't seem to rust. What am I missing?

Lots and lots of re-applications. Fun stuff.

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
2/5/12 10:20 a.m.

I primed my 74 impala just never got back to painting it. Rust was bubbling through in less than a year.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/5/12 12:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote: You know, I keep hearing that but there's thousands of hot rods rolling around in all-primer that don't seem to rust. What am I missing?

They aren't using rattle can primer, they are using an epoxy primer that does seal against water.

Or as JYD said they are reapplying often.

3rd option is those cars are kept in garages and dont see rain.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/17/12 11:19 p.m.

New parts!

Say hello to a new set of KYB shocks, fuel pump and filter, and radiator hoses and cap. Thank you Summit Racing! Also arriving, but not shown, are new brake hoses and metal brake lines for the entire car. Slowly but surely it’s coming together…

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/18/12 12:19 a.m.

New parts, new parts, new parts!

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
3/18/12 7:07 a.m.

Missing the fact that it is epoxy primer.

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
3/18/12 7:55 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:

Precisely! Primers are permeable. For exposure you need to be using a 2K catalyzed sealer like PPG's DPLF or comparable. Additionally it will serve as a barrier between the the final top coats and whatever is below.

Just found this thread and am digging the Javelin

Jeff

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
3/18/12 8:55 p.m.

Fellas, this isn't the permanent paint here. It's a temporary solution to slow down the deterioration of a completely bare roof. Surely it will make it until next winter?

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
3/19/12 7:41 a.m.

If you are just trying to preserve till you are ready to do body, then go get a can of rustoleum. Roll it or spray it.

The point is that good old primer is very porous. It is that way so that the paint sticks to it. Because of that, it is a very bad choice for temporary metal protection. Works against you.

"Paint "of pretty much any kind will seal the metal away until you are ready to proceed.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
3/19/12 7:51 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:

I actually drove a car in red oxide lacquer primer for 3 years in the early 80's with no rust. Yeah, I know, primer absorbs moisture, yada, yada, yada. But nevertheless, it didn't rust. Not one little bit.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/8/12 11:01 a.m.

Brake lines

The new brake line kit came in from Inline Tube. This is an all new set done to the factory specs for a 73 Javelin with power front discs, which is what I’m converting my car to (with factory parts). I went with steel over stainless as we don’t have road salt and the stainless tends to leak. The Javelin will have a 100% all new braking system before being driven.

Mold, ugh.

As a result of my carport being destroyed in the snowstorm and the crazy high levels of rain, the Javelin grew mold over the winter. Ugh.

Cleaned up

So I pressure washed the car. All of the mold is now gone and the Javelin is clean again. Now if the freak snow fronts will stop coming through I can get to work!

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
4/8/12 10:05 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: New parts, new parts, new parts!

I think that's what the guy in your avatar is so excited about, too.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/9/12 9:22 a.m.

If only I can get A: The time and 2. The weather I can start installing all this new stuff!!!

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/11/12 11:42 p.m.

I can't wait to see this one finished. I miss the AMCs........well pre-Gremlin/Pacer.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/11/12 11:52 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:

I'd run home that quick too if I had parts for the sweet-ass Javelin I was building.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/12/12 11:01 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
I'd run home that quick too if I had parts for the sweet-ass Javelin I was building.

Thanks! And don't you have an RX-7 that should be running by now?

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/15/12 6:30 p.m.

New wheels!!!

This weekend was the giant swap meet at Portland International Raceway and the Portland Expo Center (it’s seriously huge, and is a 4-day event). My #1 goal this year was to get wheels and tires for the Javelin. Although the P71’s old steelies technically it, the center bores are a little too small, the backspacing is wrong, and the tires are all shot. So I solved all of the issues (plus the heavy weight!) with this cherry set of genuine Weld Rodlite wheels! They are only 14’s (with 185 and 215 tires), but they will look really cool, they are super light, and they’ll make a great drag racing setup. Not to mention they had a nice set of BFG tires and came with all of the lug nuts and cebter caps. My cost? $400. Nice.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/15/12 6:35 p.m.

Those are pretty

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/15/12 6:43 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Those are pretty

Thanks! They're so unique I can only find one picture of a Javelin with them, and it's a 69. Hooray for individuality!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
4/15/12 8:34 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

Just to satisfy my curiosity what do the date codes on those tires say?

I spent a lot of time looking at the tires people were buying and selling at the PIR and Expo swap meets and I will be damned if 80 percent of them weren't 15 to 20 years old.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/15/12 9:15 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Thanks! And don't you have an RX-7 that should be running by now?

I got... distracted. "Build" thread about this distraction soon.

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/15/12 9:18 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

I, too, noticed that. Rodlite's are fairly new wheels (10-12 years maybe), but I will double check the dates. These at least didn't have dry rot, delamination, or Great Depression era dirt on them...

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
4/15/12 9:18 p.m.

In reply to Osterkraut:

Ooooh! This should be good!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/15/12 9:24 p.m.

If curiosity is getting the best of you, I recently made a "learn me" about it. Get to it, Watson.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nTAvJr43n0B50T5nV2QghdS6niwQHcZmO8ykZI90hTrZHYb8dYYZ3nUCc79ThLJ8