1 2 3
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/22 11:08 p.m.

It all started with an innocent text.

Wait, let me back up a moment. The backstory is that I have been itching to go lemons racing again (I did a few races back in 09-10), and I've been complaining about it loudly to a select few fellow enablers. Most complaining was met with bench building. The good bench builds were turned into FB marketplace links, and then FB marketplace turned up other links that led to other bench builds of dubious integrity. All of the bench build were fast, and none of them sketchy. I like to call this phase of any project "planning".

After a lot of "planning", then, we come back to the text:

"Do either of you want a free RX8 shell"

Never in any of this planning did we ever mention RX8 - we're mostly interested in bench building "good" and "fast" cars. No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

The genesis of the next part of the idea is something I stole ruthlessly from Nocones. A few months back (in one "planning" session), he sent me a FB marketplace link to a 996 shell that was overpriced but within reach and said something like 'an air cooled VW motor in this would make a hilarious lemons car'. As if he willed a good idea to life, literally later that day I got a lemons email featuring another team who had done just that. 

"A 12a rx8 is a sick lemons idea" I responded. 

See? I just came up with a plan and it only took me like, what, ten seconds?

Nocones texted me the FB marketplace link. Which I promptly screenshot.

We connected with the seller (who Nocones happened to know, probably though other shady cheap car/parts deals). Everything was still normal for a few minutes until Gumby responded:

"Bring it over, with a pile of tubing. I'll start caging it"

Now, suddenly, we had everything in place, and no foreseeable ways to fail, so we couldn't possibly be making a bad decision, right?

I hereby present to you:

Project Bad Decision Triangles

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/17/22 11:16 p.m.

So, initial plan is that I pick up the car Saturday, and get it to Gumby. It's not a thorough build thread unless you start it before you have the car, right? Then we might not start building immediately, but we'll be on our way.

Also, some of my major goals of this project, in no particular order:

• prioritize racing and fun
  • use parts we already have lying around
  • build with an open mind. I don't want to pigeonhole the car into one specific sanctioning body or series or even type of racing. 
  • Did I say fun yet?

gumby
gumby Dork
8/17/22 11:18 p.m.

It would be remiss not to mention that many of our "planning" sessions were centered around one or the other of 5-6 unloved, under-utilized project vehicles we collectively ALREADY OWN...

But the shiny new, and $free, bauble!!

We really are supremely good at Bad Decisions.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/17/22 11:42 p.m.

Also, you may be asking yourself, self a 12A powered RX8 sounds like a hilariously bad decision but don't these idiots know that 12As are thin on the ground and expensive?  

But you have to remember, although the BDT is a relatively new creation we have been making bad decisions our whole lives. To that end I present 4 12As in various states of function.

​​​

Through no effort of my own other then saying Yes anytime someone asks "Do you want this rotary?" I have aquired these for no personal cost.  

We will attempt to make the car run on one of these.  We may have backup engines.  We may attempt a rebuild to assemble 1-2 good engines.  

We may give up on the Triangles and put the 2002 Miata Drivetrain in that is out of frame to the Right.   Hell, I'm 99% sure at some point one of those Subaru 2.2s underneath the 12As will get swung into the engine bay just to see if it fits.  

Once the cage is done the chassis will come to my garage for engine swap and remaining race preps.  I will be between projects once the LMP360 is done after the challenge.  

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/18/22 12:30 a.m.

!!!

!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
8/18/22 1:40 a.m.

Oh this is dumb, I love it!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
8/18/22 5:58 a.m.

This seems like an opportune time to point out that a lemons cage isn't too many tubes away from being a rally cage.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
8/18/22 6:39 a.m.

Awesome.

gumby
gumby Dork
8/18/22 7:38 a.m.

Bad Decision Triangles.

Tri-bars have entered the chat.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/18/22 8:26 a.m.

I hate rotaries.... how do I help??

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
8/18/22 8:45 a.m.

Triangles! Yes!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/22 8:51 a.m.

This is so bad...I'm so happy for you all!!!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
8/18/22 10:38 a.m.
gumby said:

Bad Decision Triangles.

So I take it the car is an automatic with small brakes?

If those wheels fit over the big brakes, I'm buying some today!

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/18/22 10:52 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No it's a MT still has the transmission.  I doubt those will fit.    But if they do OH Man!!!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
8/18/22 11:17 a.m.

This is exciting! 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
8/18/22 11:31 a.m.

I just raced an rx-8 in lemons last weekend at Autobahn, and it didn't even blow up.  I will be watching with excitement, as I expect to see this car on track in person. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/18/22 11:44 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

This seems like an opportune time to point out that a lemons cage isn't too many tubes away from being a rally cage.

Yes, this is something I will hopefully be giving some thought to. Not that the plan is rally right now, but rather that if we're going to go to the effort to cage something, we want it to be legal for as many things as possible. 

I fully realize you can drive yourself mad trying to do that, but still. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/18/22 11:48 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I hate rotaries.... how do I help??

This is a question that I probably need to start having better answers for. Right now you can help by basking in the warm summer glow of newprojectland which is sometimes also called dontaskaboutmycurrentprojectsland.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/18/22 11:50 a.m.
gumby said:

Bad Decision Triangles.

Before this day, I had believed that Saabs were the only car that should wear 3 spoke wheels. 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
8/18/22 1:23 p.m.

The only thing worse than a 12a would be some horrible conglomeration of a 4 rotor or 3 rotor 12a. Not exactly sure if that's possible with a 12a but it would be funny

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/18/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

GET OUT OF MY HEAD.  

Have considered if there would be a way to pin together an E-shaft or just run a coupler.  Being 12a's the coupler only has to handle ~110hp / 9.5 ft-lbs of torque.

But that would be Phase 2.  Bolting in a 12A and getting it moving slowly under it's own power is phase 1

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/18/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I hoped someone would bring that image back.  laugh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
8/18/22 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

You know that GLCOAT has a double 12a 4 rotor, right? Apparently recent video of the thing

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/18/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

That is insane.

Gambit
Gambit Reader
8/18/22 6:27 p.m.

I mean with enough welding and a hammer... And possibly a crankshaft balancer and a map gas torch I think anything is possible..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jcO9kKUQQ4iJJQgQNVR9vRZ6j8nsETn7Pyqbr3FGUY1vVSY6RpAc0St40Ew1bhrs