1 2 3 4
sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
8/18/22 7:32 p.m.

robbie said:
Also, some of my major goals of this project, in no particular order:

• [...]
  • [...]
  • build with an open mind. I don't want to pigeonhole the car into one specific sanctioning body or series or even type of racing. 
  • Did I say fun yet?

nocones said:

Also, you may be asking yourself, self a 12A powered RX8 sounds like a hilariously bad decision [...] To that end I present 4 12As in various states of function.

We may give up on the Triangles and put the 2002 Miata Drivetrain in that is out of frame to the Right.   Hell, I'm 99% sure at some point one of those Subaru 2.2s underneath the 12As will get swung into the engine bay just to see if it fits. 

Technically speaking... all of the above engine options are "clear" for GridLife's ClubTR class.  I'd say that they'd probably be legal for GLTC too... but, I reckon they're actually underpowered by a non-zero amount for 12.5-13% lb/hp target.

re: "having fun", and finding other open options to run the car

nocones
nocones PowerDork
8/18/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I forgot about club TR.  We will add that to the list of classes to keep in mind as we build the car.  

Thus far the goal is to not permanently modify the car such that it won't be legal for any future class.  Not that the current build would have to be legal/competitive for a given class.   So don't do stuff like a Truck conversion (Which oh man no decklid makes tempting) that although perfect for LeMons would be frowned upon by every one else.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/22 7:55 p.m.

Shouldn't this be Bad Decision Spinny Triangles?

I'm 100% in favor of this flavor of mayhem regardless. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
8/18/22 8:04 p.m.

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/18/22 9:08 p.m.
nocones said:

I forgot about club TR.  We will add that to the list of classes to keep in mind as we build the car.  

I reckon it won't be too hard to make it fit in both.  With the 12A swap, there's probably not a minimum weight to have to worry about... although I suspect you'll still be a bit off lb/hp.

that being said, I've heard some rumblings that some think ClubTR has gotten 'too try hard'... so a "maximum funs" build like this one would probably good/welcomed.  Other thing is, with being down on power (but not as drag-limited as the MG), there'll be good development to be had in maximizing cornering speed, minimizing braking... and (if it is a part of the build-plan) conscientiously balancing aero (and learning to drive/feel a car with aero).

edit to add current ClubTR engine regulations snippet:   

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/18/22 9:53 p.m.

If anything could make me move out of Florida, it would be getting lost in the Bad Decision Triangle.

I love it.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/18/22 10:37 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
gumby said:

Bad Decision Triangles.

Tri-bars have entered the chat.

Before this day, I had believed that Saabs were the only car that should wear 3 spoke wheels. 

I saw a Reatta wearing tri-bars not to long ago and I was struck by how good they looked on it. I heartily approve of all of this plan....and tri-bars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/22 10:44 p.m.

Important Update.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/18/22 11:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That looks like the apex seals go in.  Everyone knows they go out.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/19/22 8:15 a.m.

I mean, stick 205 falkens on it and it'll meet the rules for Sundae Cup.... just saying

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/19/22 9:59 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I mean, stick 205 falkens on it and it'll meet the rules for Sundae Cup.... just saying

I thought it was wrong wheel drive for sundae cup?

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/19/22 11:09 a.m.

it's a bit fuzzy for this year... there's an implication that's maybe not in there that the car have the original engine?  And rwd is legal this year... but may not be for next year.  TBD.

there's some other things from GridLife "in the works" that this might slot into... but there's no details out yet about it.  I'll keep y'all updated as stuff rolls out.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/20/22 8:23 a.m.

Bought some parts before even seeing the car.

Bad decision?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
8/20/22 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

What could possibly go wrong? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/20/22 2:34 p.m.

If the spinning triangles don't work, then can I suggest...

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=41526

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
8/20/22 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

And another person with and LS based head for in inline 6?

gumby
gumby Dork
8/20/22 5:17 p.m.

Updates from the road

Picked up

From there Dan met Robbie at a junkyard and they grabbed parts to seal the car from weather, plus some cosmetics because the yard car was the same color!

Doors bought and installed. Also got a fender, decklid, and rear bumper cover. Tail lights, a steering rack, and the door seals too.

I'm afraid they might wash it next....I hope it isn't too nice to racecar.

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/20/22 5:24 p.m.

1) Didn't realize RX-8's had incline-mounted radiator/condensers
2) while the oil coolers on the side could be good/helpful... if you're putting this car in risk of car-to-car contact... I'd suggest finding another, more protected, oil-cooling solution

3) the weird number-crunching Buffalo is curious about a 'starting weight', whenever it's available  angel

gumby
gumby Dork
8/20/22 6:00 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

3) the weird number-crunching Buffalo is curious about a 'starting weight', whenever it's available  angel

You aren't alone. With 12A motivation, I am focused heavily on weight reduction. Google lists the curb weight at ~3k lbs.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/20/22 6:02 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

And another person with and LS based head for in inline 6?

I mean, I did just pick up a "new" set of free heads...

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
8/20/22 6:57 p.m.

Well the shop I work in is right on the border of that triangle.. 

So if the LS / Inline 6 setup happens, let me know. I'll volunteer some fabrication work on making that happen. Been talking about just that setup with one of the guys I work with, actually. Along with having a good chunk of knowledge and straight line to a source on the original version - being cut and welded SBC heads on a GMC 6, back in the 60s. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
8/20/22 7:04 p.m.

Looks like a great project. Best of luck with it! 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
8/20/22 8:43 p.m.

Borla exhaust tip = +30 HP.   #spinnytrianglesofbaddecisions   laugh

gumby
gumby Dork
8/21/22 2:49 p.m.

How it started

How it's going

Door seals and deck lid on to get it mostly weather tight while it awaits more Bad Decisions.
Fender on because one less thing sitting around loose and it really helps looking like a car.

We also hung the steering rack to tie the spindles to each other and slid the column in for single point steering. Much excite!

My inner cage builder is way stoked about these humangous door openings

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/21/22 3:44 p.m.

Man, you weren't wrong about too pretty to racecar.  You're starting with some good bones there.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UH2tnZzqKIK2vfk9bKxLwWaqu06MqQHAubC7dyj6JoRjaLiuwRBTp3OEG3VThFyh