Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
8/13/24 12:02 a.m.

Has anybody used one of the high solids tractor paints for the bottom of the car?

Im not looking for a show car by any means just something that is durable.

im thinking a light gray on everything that does not move.

Im fabricating subframe connectors and jacking rails for my Comet,and weld through primer will be used in select spots with primer on the tops surfaces and mating surfaces on floor pans.

Im a gluten for punishment so I'm going to brush the paint on.

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
8/13/24 7:48 a.m.

I painted my chassis with tractor paint.... it hasn't been out of the garage since it isn't finished so no idea as to durability. I figured if it was for tractors it should be!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
8/13/24 7:52 a.m.

I use Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel for what you're talking about- it's cheap, relatively tough, and adheres to everything pretty well with minimal prep.  From what I've heard, the tractor paints are mostly pretty soft if you don't add hardener.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/13/24 7:58 a.m.

Untitled photo

This was painted with tractor paint about 10 years ago. It deals with solvents, swarf, dust, oils, and all the rest of the mess a shop and machine tools can make.  

How it looks now. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for chassis or underbody parts. For that fact, I'd even paint a tractor with it.

20200816_152416.jpg

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/13/24 8:02 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

There's a Facebook group dedicated to painting cars with Rustoleum. Lots of guys do use a hardener.  Some look pretty good so I would try it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
8/13/24 8:26 a.m.

If you use tractor paint or Rustoleum, mix it with a catalyst hardener like the Majic brand stuff you can buy at tractor supply. It makes it incredibly tough and shiny, and dries much faster. I've had good luck with 8:4:1 ratio of paint : thinner : catalyst.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
8/13/24 8:27 a.m.

Nevermind, just read you're going to brush the paint on. I feel like Eastwood or even Summit Racing probably makes an undercoating paint that's more appropriate in that case.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pNv3pckYh6WJ2BS3XHAmJ68yyAvCY9kMVnlz2EUoh31crqATwOwzhFBhKclOvRXI