Good lord, I love this build!

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/13/23 7:02 p.m.

With some misadventure along the way, it's registered and titled

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/17/23 8:03 p.m.

When you've got more excess time and spray paint than shame this happens. I actually ran out of both primer and blue doing the nose so even the half assing is half assed. This is enough color to see the colors though and I dig it.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/18/23 12:10 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/18/23 12:16 p.m.

So, what is the prep plan for real paint over the spray paint? Id love to experiment with colors that way.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/18/23 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Once the blower stuff is done I'll pull the whole car apart and finish welding the firewall. Once that's done the while deal is sent off and sand blasted.  Then I'm guessing we will do it like any other car (that's dependent on what my boss wants to do though) which would be metal prep-body work-prime-seal-paint.

That's why I wasn't worried about the spray paint was everything has always been going to get sand blasted anyway.   I will say though,  my XS650 that I did was spray can color,  then a layer of clear automotive base paint to seal the spray paint, then nice automotive clear coat over that.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/22/23 6:38 p.m.

Had to do mirrors 

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
6/22/23 11:35 p.m.

Man I thought it looked pretty good in bare metal 

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/23/23 1:11 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

Not in person, I'm not good enough to pull that off and didn't even try.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
6/24/23 6:10 a.m.

The imperfections, the visible weld seems in the metal are what make it unique. It screams 'made by hand' and not from a factory press, and fits perfectly with the theme. Can even view them as repairs through the years that make it look like a survivor.

But, and it is a big one, our mileages vary.  Because that is my approach as a speechless spectator through your build, constantly astonished both by the vision and the execution. And I fully admit that if by some magic I was bestowed with your abilities I would do everything I knew of to hide every imperfection as my ocd would demand.

Simply astonishing work.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
6/24/23 8:01 a.m.

It is a great looking car no matter how you proceed!

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/24/23 3:11 p.m.

First public appearance at a small car show close to the shop today

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
6/27/23 7:10 p.m.

A carry on from last weekend

I had my wife follow me from the shop to the car show Saturday morning being unsure about how visible the brake lights will be in the brightness of the day.  Her response was that the lights were able to be seen without any issue whenever she was close enough to be able to see the rest of the car.  She said I was flying which was news to me.  I also couldn't see a thing out of the mirrors because I didn't think to adjust them once the car was outside before taking off.  Going back to the speed thing, I had done the math to check speed using the tachometer as there is no speedometer so when she told me I was flying it didn't make too much sense.

To make a long story short after thinking about what she was telling me it worked out that the tachometer was reading low, and after checking it the tach which I thought was set up for a 6 cylinder wasn't, it was only 6 cylinder capable and I didn't actually read through the directions or check the accuracy before.  The fun with all that though is that every speed I thought I was at was actually a third again higher.  So when I thought I was going 30-35 on the loop around work when the back end would start sliding I was actually going 40-47 which made a lot more sense once it was out there.  Also I was doing near 70 getting to the show when I thought I was doing 50, and again I had no clue I was going that fast because of a lack of traffic first thing in the morning on a Saturday.  The car was still real smooth and stable there without any buffeting on the helmet or excessive wind noise or vibrations observed.  Also means that all the acceleration numbers I thought I was seeing were less that what it was actually doing so that's fun too.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/14/23 1:44 p.m.

Well, the inevitable happened and the car is homeless again. Got told.....about two hours ago now, that the space was needed and the car has to go outside. No mention of the original promise that were things to come to that it could go into one of the shop trailers so that's almost certainly off the table (and at this point not an option I would take up anyway). The good news is at least it's a full car and I can drive it this time, so that's the plan for the short term is get it to my house and figure things out from there. I'll make some calls tonight and see what my options are past that.

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
7/14/23 3:11 p.m.

Sorry to hear that but good timing on getting it driving it turns out! 

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/14/23 6:17 p.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

This has been my expectation all along really and one of the reasons behind throwing so many hours at it there for a while. It sucks to be here again but it's a much easier situation than last time.

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
7/15/23 6:50 a.m.

Sorry to hear that, but can't help but smile at your silver lining view. 

Things would indeed be significantly harder if it wasn't at this stage.

Wonder if you'll sleepwalk into the garage to work on it at nights :)

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/15/23 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Piguin :

That would not go over well with my wife. When I was doing the wiring harness for my Yamaha there were a few after midnight times in the garage and she was not impressed at all then.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/16/23 11:30 a.m.

Made it home this morning

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
7/16/23 11:35 a.m.

Awesome! Looks great !

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/16/23 11:48 a.m.

Pictured spoiled by my wife's Fusion 

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/16/23 3:38 p.m.

Better pictures of the herd

Catalina needs a bath and a battery. Not necessarily in that order.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/22/23 4:13 p.m.

Doing what I can to keep rust at bay dodging summer thunderstorms and apply the world's E36 M3tiest coat of primer. Hopefully a trailer next weekend so an improved situation then.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/23/23 9:14 a.m.

More sanding, more priming, and a new darker blue on the roll bar that will end up spreading to the suspension and nose.

NashGTI
NashGTI Reader
7/23/23 8:36 p.m.

Leaving the weekend off here. At least the color combo looks good in the car.

6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c4P7b3075K4er1FKYWNxoVTxVKr07mbjwDseawnE3XVSRhHNCAZLNZJWXDktv9uw