1 2 3 4 5
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
8/25/19 9:36 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

it very well could be arrice and drive. i need to force an answer out of my wife so i can know for sure. i need to replace the control arm bushings or just the control arms all together in the rear, ad maybe the clutch. but all easy stuff i can do quickly. as far as i know that is the only thing holding the car back from being somewhat decent on the track. it has decent suspension on it and it makes decent power. just needs a few odds and ends. 

gumby
gumby Reader
8/26/19 6:20 a.m.

Do not force anything on my count. I am very much in flux at this stage. If something works out, it will. Again, I appreciate the consideration!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
8/26/19 11:09 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

I didnt mean it to sound so harsh. Either way ill have an answer for you this week. and worse case if the answer is no then you proceed on your current course. 

gumby
gumby Reader
8/28/19 7:35 p.m.

Indiana is a cruel wench.

This also popped up

Well? Am I interested????
Waiting on details....

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
8/28/19 8:54 p.m.

Id say you're interested lol

gumby
gumby Reader
9/4/19 10:01 p.m.

I have located a personal unicorn car, and it is under Challenge budget.... I don't want to jinx it as I haven't even gone to look at it yet, or paid for it, let alone taken delivery, so I can't say what it is, but I can't sit here and say nothing either....

Much mental anguish has occurred thru the holiday weekend. Highs and lows, in's and I quit's. The Mustang shell was more $$$ than I wanted to pay, and too deep a hole. I heavily contemplated the X-Type, but concluded it would not be a good post-Challenge fit for the dollars invested. I pinged a pair of local guys who I know are into a couple different Miatas for short money, but neither was ready to release an easy button to me. I was offered a Civic hatch with a vtec/LSD drivetrain, coilovers, 2 sets of wheels, etc. I could not justify the $1700 purchase; as much fun as I am sure the car would be to autoX, I am not a Civic owning type. I drove to Dayton to look at the "below average Miata" and the damn thing would not run. I could have lowballed him, but did not prepare to bring home a non-runner. If it couldn't make the trip from Dayton to Indy, it was not the car I need to fill this hole.

Between these interactions I knocked out a couple 'hell week' projects to keep friends in the Drag Week game, and worked on my BIL's cab corner/rocker panel replacement job. Dirty, tedious, frustrating work, but I am making progress; passenger side is done. Rust is the Devil.

So anyhow, I'm sitting around Tuesday night catching up on the forum, see Seth's shirt update, and I am back on Marketplace in an instant looking at cars again... I am in talks with the seller of the unicorn car, and working out a time that I can check it out Friday or Sunday.

octavious
octavious Dork
9/5/19 9:17 a.m.

I just read your whole thread, dude that sucks.  The tags and registration coming in after the accident was a kick in the pills.  I hope the unicorn purchase works out. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/5/19 9:38 a.m.

*standing up, chanting* UN-I-CORN! UN-I-CORN! UN-I-CORN! UN-I-CORN! 

(translation: I'm rooting for this new development to work out, good luck)

gumby
gumby Reader
9/6/19 10:26 a.m.

Nope nope nope. I am living in the wrong area to be shopping for Challenge cars that I want to keep.

The Lincoln LS was a new car when I worked as a Ford tech. I thought they were cooler than sliced cheese then and I told myself if I ever found one of the ~2300 manual trans cars that I would hafta buy it. I had never actually seen one in person before today.

I asked about rust before I went because I know better. I get there, the rockers are gone and when you open the rear doors you could put fingers thru the wheel house. Not the description I got previously.

If it was not a complete rot box, it would be in my driveway. It needs the typical neglected 200k mile car stuff; windshield, shocks, brakes, fluids serviced, etc. I could make it a nice driver again, probably under budget even, but I just don’t want to put those dollars into a rotten chassis. At least I can now say that I have seen and driven a Lincoln LS with a factory manual trans.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/6/19 10:53 a.m.

Aw dang. I agree, manual Lincoln LS is a bucket list car for me as well.

I have to constantly fight my urge to want to buy rust buckets like that and "save" it because it's "rare" by reminding myself that even though it's rare, it's still crap. lol

gumby
gumby Reader
9/20/19 11:02 p.m.

Things are happening. After the LS disappointment I swore off looking at ads. It was starting to feel like work, and I was trying too hard. My wife was deployed to WI for Guard training, and I have been here for two weeks handling all the household/kid stuff anyhow. It was difficult enough gathering any time to continue progress on the BIL's truck, let alone Challenge car shopping.
Me not looking at ads is wishful thinking....
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/89-taurus-sho-original-owner-delaware-nmsa-2100/159188/page1/

Duke moved with a quickness, got me in touch with the sellers, and volunteered to look the car over for me. What I imagined would take at least a week has happened over the course of a couple days, and after an amazingly thorough report from Duke, I am in the midst of sorting out the logistics of getting the SHO home.

In the meantime, I have managed to finish up the driver's side of BIL's truck. All that is left to do is hang the rear door and refit the bed.

Here is where you know that you are beating the right path: things fall into place with little nudges instead of kicks in the ass. This truck needs to leave my shop and go to Albany, NY. The original plan(of which I was unaware until this past Monday) included my FIL flying from WY to Indy and driving the truck to my BIL. Couple of phone calls, me volunteering to drive most of the way, and I have a ride to Delaware to pick up the SHO! FIL will finish out the drive from Delaware to Albany, and I will drive my SHO home to Indy.

I am a little stressed and a lot anxious with the rate at which this situation has developed and things have come together, but plans are set and I am committed to see this thru! I have a week and a half or so to prep for the trip, and then will have two weeks to get the SHO ready for Challenge. Pitter Patter.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/21/19 5:47 a.m.

This is one hell of a twisty turny adventure. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/21/19 6:16 a.m.

I SHO am excited about this update. laugh

gumby
gumby Reader
9/21/19 6:18 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/21/19 5:16 p.m.

What equation generates that second graph?cool

gumby
gumby Reader
9/21/19 7:28 p.m.

I think the equation is x = y(me) laugh

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/27/19 8:34 a.m.

i was going to tell you if it doesn't work out my wife has decided to not compete. so i have the supercharged 94gt available if something takes a bad turn. but the SHO is a cool car, fo sho...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/27/19 8:48 a.m.

How the hell did I miss all of this? I am a terrible person. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/27/19 8:55 a.m.
gumby said:

Pitter Patter.

Let's get at 'er!

I'm glad a fellow GRMer grabbed that SHO. It looked like a smokin' good deal, and I really miss my '92 MTX.

gumby
gumby Reader
9/28/19 9:43 a.m.
bobzilla said:

How the hell did I miss all of this? I am a terrible person. 

It is ok Bob, you are still my people.

One week of waiting down, one to go. BIL's truck is done.

Thoughts of n2o are dancing in my head...

gumby
gumby Reader
10/4/19 11:54 a.m.

Trip to DE sucessful! Car is legal and I am on the road back to Indy.

Unfortunately, haven't made it very far yet....I was aware of the rear brakes dragging and lubed a couple frozen slide pins before taking off but no joy

Tried to spin the pistons back in, but they are frozen too. Popped out the inside pad and pinched off the hoses. She'll go

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/4/19 12:13 p.m.

Brakes? Who needs brakes? laugh Good luck on the trip.

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
10/4/19 2:13 p.m.

What is that clamp called?

Sean

RedGT
RedGT Dork
10/4/19 3:11 p.m.

Lisle 22850 hose pincher

Generally for doing work without draining the system, but I suppose they would be fine pressurizing it too.

gumby
gumby Reader
10/5/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to RedGT :

Yup! In this case, they were more "belt and suspenders" than anything else. The caliper pistons were locked up solid, but I didn't figure it would hurt to block the pressure too.

I stopped in Lancaster, OH for the night. Visited with a friend and then finished out the drive today. Uneventfully pulled into my drive just now. Gonna head to the shop in a bit and start making lists.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1RKrKVg6CkI6JOyyZ5I0nZNG3G1sK540l6iOfQogxRYZzt0SLlb2YS0a0U7JWpoZ