5 6 7
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/27/23 1:51 a.m.

More of the "do the thing" please. 

gumby
gumby Dork
10/2/23 7:56 a.m.

No plan survives first contact with aftermarket parts.

Started pulling parts off the original engine to swap over. Oil pan, timing cover, valve covers. Lots of tedious cleaning and old gasket removal drug this process out. Stock valve covers didn't clear the adjustable rockers, not a surprise and I had the taller chrome ones ready. Upper intake hit the taller valve covers because of course it would. Phenolic spacer ordered.

Next I spent an hour massaging the cheap headers for tool clearance at the head flanges. They sent small diameter hardware, but that is worthless if you still can't put a wrench on them...
I eventually got them bolted up and noticed the left collector sitting really close to the block

Grabbing my y-pipe, I confirmed the angles don't match anyway. Yoinked the headers back off the engine and hung the original manifolds. Sigh.

Once the engine was complete enough to install, I popped the new frame mounts in the cradle. Ya know, the parts that started this whole mess?

The threaded inserts were coarse, unlike OEM, necessitating a hardware run. Then, on the first attempt to stab the engine, I found the engine side brackets crashing into the metal parts of the frame mounts before engaging the rubber bits! After lifting the engine back out and attacking the new frame mounts with a grinder I was able to set the engine all the way down.

One bolt is still not quite aligned, but it was getting late and I had to call it. I'll be back.

gumby
gumby Dork
10/6/23 8:11 p.m.

Engine in, trans in, everything on the bottom side buttoned up.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/23 9:47 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Dang, that's a fat front bar

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/7/23 8:19 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

That's what she said 

gumby
gumby Dork
10/14/23 8:47 p.m.

Have run into several interferences with mixing and matching parts, and one big ooops

No radiator or coolant installed yet.
The big connector on the alternator charging harness crumbled as I was repositioning it.
The sn95 oil pressure sender function is reversed from my dash light.

But, it's alive !

gumby
gumby SuperDork
5/19/24 7:11 p.m.

7mos with the motor swapped, and everything has been peachy. It still ain't fast, but the extra HP sure did wake things up.

Last month I started the car to drive home from work and it was idling low/rough and chuggin black smoke. ECT or MAP failure likely. NOPE, rodent sabotage of the MAP wiring!

Last week the clutch pedal started creaking and popping. I pulled it apart today and found the pin holding the pushrod clevis badly worn, and the clevis hole wallered out.

I came back here to remember how long it has been since the T5 swap was completed; so there's you an update.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
btUsHxNmkx5yU0dB6qGRHnVH4AMPa1xJZBalxrKtxmkS5KSZyNVcCMH1dgSc9Acc