Pete. (l33t FS) said:
wae said:

Three autocross runs completed!

In a row?

Back to back to back!

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/6/24 1:46 p.m.

Deciding not to press my luck with any more autocross runs, we're doing the shine job.  It's actually shining up rather nicely.

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/6/24 1:46 p.m.
Antihero said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
wae said:

Three autocross runs completed!

In a row?

And not on fire ?!?!

Amazingly enough, no fire yet!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ UltraDork
4/6/24 3:50 p.m.

The OP must be that dude I read about in The DaVinci Code who slept on a bed of nails and whipped himself with chains three times a day. cheeky

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/6/24 6:27 p.m.

Alright...  Let's see what happens when we try to drag race this beast.

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/6/24 8:07 p.m.

So far a 16.1 is the best I can do.  It's okay at speed but cutting up a little at part throttle.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/6/24 8:14 p.m.

So dumb question how much do you want for it

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/6/24 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Dibs

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/6/24 8:21 p.m.
wae said:

So far a 16.1 is the best I can do.  It's okay at speed but cutting up a little at part throttle.

I'm not a drag racer, but it seems to me that part throttle shouldn't be part of it :)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/6/24 8:26 p.m.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/7/24 8:15 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Still better than I managed in our Miata in 2017.  Although driver error could have been a factor.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/7/24 8:18 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Was the trap speed "185" ?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/24 12:18 p.m.

15.6 sec 1/4 mile in this road test from new!  

$27k in 1986  = $76,500 today

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/7/24 12:29 p.m.

If you had to bet on in which event the Biturbo was most likely to have a failure, how many of you would have put your hundo down on "concourse"?

The 2x4 hood prop seems to have whacked the repaired coolant nipple causing a little bit of a coolant leak. 🤦

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
4/7/24 12:35 p.m.
wae said:

If you had to bet on in which event the Biturbo was most likely to have a failure, how many of you would have put your hundo down on "concourse"?

The 2x4 hood prop seems to have whacked the repaired coolant nipple causing a little bit of a coolant leak. 🤦

I mean.....I'm somehow not surprised.

If the hood prop hit and it detonated like a Hollywood movie? Still, not surprised lol

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/7/24 12:37 p.m.

In reply to wae :

One minute ago, I wrote in the other thread predicting it.

John Welsh said:

In reply to Ranger50 :

It's a BiTurbo.  It will most likely remove the fuel and oil by itself!  In its natural state, the battery is likely already dead!  

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/7/24 1:28 p.m.

Looking at all the stuff you folks have written on the car actually starts to choke me up a little bit.  Thanks to all of you!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/7/24 1:38 p.m.

semi not joking if you do sell it in the future

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
4/7/24 2:11 p.m.

Congrats! IIRC, car and driver claimed this was the ultimate divorce car (as in you could complain that your former spouse got "the Maserati" in the divorce, but in fact you were sticking them with a low value lemon) So, way to exceed expectations!

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
4/7/24 5:02 p.m.

I had one of these, did a lot of work to it, got it actually working rather well, then I foolishly sold it.

Wish I had seen this before today.

Couple things you might want to do. 1) Modify a big socket to fit the fuel tank fitting, need to cut a notch in the socket to clear the fuel line on the side of the fitting.  Unscrew the fitting, now you have the feed and return line out of the tank, remove the original in tank filter, even when new it limits fuel flow.  Add a large external filter between the tank and the pump.

2)  The smoke is likely from the turbos, forget attempting to rebuild them.  I found a allantra turbo was about the right size, but adapting a different turbo and waste gate set up is not easy, very limited space.  The Y pipe connecting the two turbos, contains converters

3) There is no need to use the turbo control box, all it really does, is shut things off if something is wrong.   Typically the waste gate has a control spring that sets max boost pressure, that is basically a mechanical control.  What is sometimes done, the waste gates have light springs, and to control max boost, there is a pressure switch, and a electrically controlled air valve.  I found a adjustable pressure switch, and a new control valve.  This is the way a lot of newer turbo systems work.  This is similar to your original set-up, but they added that black box.

4)  The original carb is a modified weber DCNF, they added a "power" valve, this is a emissions feature.  They set it up to run lean, then under load the power valve opens.  A standard DCNF can be adapted and can then be jetted to work much better.

Feel free to ask me questions   TED

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/7/24 5:04 p.m.
Patrick said:

semi not joking if you do sell it in the future

If you buy it I want dibs when you sell it.

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/7/24 5:08 p.m.

First time bringing home GRM hardware!  3rd place in GTN$ Concourse!

Stopped for diesel right now, but on the way home and collecting my thoughts about it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OcnGI7pWj42FdlMLD13MMlfiStgVMsDjyZMx1727wvSpu3nsdDTwCn7M5haz7kuM