3 4 5
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/10/24 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Just like the cooled seats and heated steering wheel only come on the dct GT. The DCT gets you heated and cooled seats and a heated wheel. And a new transmission every 25-30k. They're taking this "be like Honda" thing too literally. 

My lifetime average since test drive is still 32.9mpg. The winter hit has definitely impacted it some but I'm finding my way around it. 

2023BD
2023BD New Reader
2/2/24 9:38 p.m.

Hows your GT treating you? I ended up swapping mine for a 23 Forte LXS with 2.0 and cvt. I got tired of the high rpm on highway and shifting.  We still have my daughters GT to play with anyhow. Funny thing is I already have my LXS down to a 6.9s 0-60 and with the Evilla rear sway bar it easily corners as good as my GT did. I am trying to see if I can get my LXS to perform as good as a my daughter's GT with her Racechip turned off. So far I only have a couple tenths to go. smiley These Korean cars are so much fun to toss around. I NEVER though I would buy a cvt car over a 6spd by choice, but I love it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/24 11:22 p.m.

Just passed 8k miles and I am still smitten. I overcame my high rpm anxiety when I realized I'm still getting 38mpg and the power is on tap right now if I need it. Finally washed it Friday. First time our road hasn't been a mud pit for months. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
2/4/24 3:53 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I washed mine today as well--good two-bucket job and a bit of ceramic spritz to finish it off.  Cleanest it's been since at least November.  Was in shorts and a hoodie--was 47 and sunny! 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/5/24 6:58 a.m.

needs some tire shine

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/5/24 8:22 a.m.

In reply to camopaint0707 :

Tire shine is the devil.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
2/5/24 3:08 p.m.

I'll join the "I just washed my car" party. 1st time it's had a proper bath since around October. 

So many scratches and chunks since I started commuting full-time. At least it's black, so at 10ft it still looks good. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/6/24 8:33 a.m.

I washed the car on Friday. Left work early for an appointment, came out to bird poop on the fender.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/18/24 9:54 a.m.

Getting ready to take it on our vacation soon so I changed the oil since it'll be longer than I wanted. Also did my second modification (first being wheels). Speakerectomy. To make the car sound more "sporty" they put a speaker in the cowl under the windshield to make zoom zoom noises especially in sport mode. Got to pop the wipers and cowl to unplug. Put evertything back. Didn't realize how much it was "on" even in non sport mode. 

If any manufacturer is listening: If I want zoom zoom sounds, I will make them. I don't want fake electronic noise that some moron engineer "thinks" sounds sporty. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
3/18/24 10:12 a.m.
bobzilla said:

If any manufacturer is listening: If I want zoom zoom sounds, I will make them. I don't want fake electronic noise that some moron marketing genius "thinks" sounds sporty. 

Fixed it for you. Yep, highly annoying...but it had to be created by marketing as no self respecting engineer would come up with that on their own smiley

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/18/24 10:19 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

While I'm sure it was thought up by a marketing person, it had to be implemented by an engineer. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/3/24 12:15 p.m.

Car made a nice easy roundtrip to central Florida for us on the wife's spring break. Broke 10k miles on the way down, southern Georgia. The car, with stock suspension, just eats up the road. Comfy, has power everywhere always at highway speeds and we averaged 34mpg down, 32 back. The return trip was pretty crap, traffic was terrible and instead of 15 hours took almost 18. Because of that we might have been running it a little faster than we normally would have.

Heated seats are thing though.... my back was a little stiff from work when we left. Turning the heater on for an hour and it loosened right up. Closing in on 12k and definitely do not regret this purchase. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/10/24 10:08 a.m.

Nothing crazy to report. Took the car for an anniversary weekend overnight stay. Hit the Airforce museum in Dayton, then drove down to Hocking Hills. Man the roads down there are amazing. You get a chance, check out Ohio's Windy 9. Car just reaffirmed that it's the car I've been trying to build since 2002 and they did it right. Never lacked power, grip, or comfort. Brakes.... well they were getting a little hot and the rotors have taken on a nice light tint but they never felt unsafe or like we wouldn't stop but after 20-30 minutes of spirited driving trying to actually go the speed limit you could tell they didn't have the same grip. Maybe something I look into later with the bigger rotors/calipers off the shelf. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/24 7:44 a.m.

OK, little update. 15k miles. Car has been on a few weekend trips. Finally did my first ricer mod. 

No description available.

$2.48 for a pack of 4 chair leg cap thingys. Now makes PSSHH noises on shifts, and more importantly the weird little surge when letting off the throttle shifting at lower engine speeds is almost completely gone. Still adore this car. Comfy, efficient, fun and pretty. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/4/24 8:49 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I've been running with this "mod" for a few weeks now, and as dumb as it sounds, it changed the car completely for me. The weirdness I was having with throttle cut seems to be gone now and it seems to hold boost better. Plus, you can hear the intake more and additional whirly boi psssssst noises make it more fun to drive. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/24 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

One thing that bothered me was as I was lifting for a shift, there would be an odd little surge/stutter an instant before the clutch was in. Nothing crazy, but mildly annoying. THat's almost completely gone.

I have noticed it is a lot harder to get my normally excellent fuel economy now. I wanna hear it, and it really only makes noise in 3/4/5 under load.1/2 are over so fast it's like a high schooler's first prom night, it's over before it even got going. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/4/24 4:24 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

My first tank after the bypass mod was... not great. But I've gotten better at reigning in the loud pedal since. Back to normal now. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/24 3:53 p.m.

I'm actually doing pretty well. This tank I am back to averaging 37.1mpg indicated. Fuel economy for hte last 15,200 miles is sitting at 34.8mpg. It's been on an upward swing since about 13k. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/6/24 6:57 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

That's fantastic. I am getting 27-29mpg per tank, but then again, I am spending 3+hrs in soul-sucking traffic a day, so it's not so bad. My old Mazda 3 would get about 23mpg in the same conditions. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/9/24 3:31 p.m.

Rio can only muster about 37 on the new drive. If I decide to do the soul sucking traffic thing that's down to 34 for it and about 33 for Forte. 

I just wish I could have it clean for more than 5 minutes. The gravel road is killing me! 

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FVAUJuuP1wxyao48VBfRBVqodH02VvMXQ6dssYUOlB21uplkjwo5JEM2zqLT9jIL