1 2 3
DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
8/19/24 10:20 p.m.

You think you're uninspired now, just wait 'til you drive it!

Pics are about 18 months old, but it looks about the same now. May even have been washed since then. It needs a little more paint on the hood - I got halfway through a driveway Color Match rattle can job to deal with some pretty bad paint chips and then got distracted - but otherwise it would probably polish up pretty well if a body was so inclined.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
8/19/24 10:49 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

That looks perfect. How much are you asking? I'm in the market for a same idea. Midwest car for a 15 y/o driver. That sounds the right mix of slow, AWD, and reliable enough. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
8/19/24 11:17 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

That looks perfect. How much are you asking? I'm in the market for a same idea. Midwest car for a 15 y/o driver. That sounds the right mix of slow, AWD, and reliable enough. 

That's a heck of a good question. Two years ago, when we bought the Mazda 5, I planned to clean the Matrix up and list it at $4500 or so. I don't know what I would have actually gotten for it or what it is worth now. As they say, no reasonable offers refused.

Other than chalky paint and some UV fade on the interior, it's very clean, and has always been dead reliable for us. I have replaced things due to wear (and have a few more parts on the shelf for it yet) but it's never actually broken.

It is an early 1ZZ, so oil consumption is a potential issue. Right now I think the oil control rings are pretty free, as it's down to a quart every 2000 miles or so.

sibanez
sibanez New Reader
8/20/24 2:24 a.m.

These are great teen cars. My daughter misses her 06 Matrix AWD that we sold to a friend's daughter. That thing is going strong wth 190K, great in the snow and stupid easy to work on. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
8/20/24 1:14 p.m.

In reply to sibanez :

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. It's a pretty simple appliance, which in this case is part of the appeal. The AWD is nice in snow. We don't get it often here, but when we have, it just chews through and goes. NIB cable chains are included. Heck, I'll throw in a little RHB5 and an intercooler if anybody wants to plan ahead...

Interested parties, should there be any, are welcome to email me through GRM and we can exchange info from there. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/21/24 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Are you still looking?    Just add snow tires.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/21/24 12:50 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Still looking. 

but the last ford fairmont I worked on had a kids pair of Superman underoo's jammed up under the dash.  Don't  know if I could touch one again

aslo not wanting a carb in Minnesota. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/21/24 1:48 p.m.
914Driver said:

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Are you still looking?    Just add snow tires.

If that was local I'd buy it. I had one of those about 35 years ago. I really liked the car until my wife grenaded the engine in it. I was too poor at the time to fix it and we only had one car. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
8/21/24 3:42 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Still looking. 

Wonderful!  Step into my office.

Have you given any thought to that TruCoat? 

Fueled by Caffeine
8/21/24 6:16 p.m.

Pm. 

Fueled by Caffeine
8/21/24 6:16 p.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Pm. 

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/21/24 11:02 p.m.

Now that chandler's trucks are all sold and the Q5 is spoken for I have a lot less fire in my belly to get rid of the Saab, but you're welcome to it. It's certainly lower down the scale than most of what's been posted at 265k miles and a whine from the front end, and I get that my asking price of just $1,800 may be a bit on the hopeful side for such a car...

yeah, oh well whatever I guess with those stats I'll end up keeping it forever or until I hit a tree

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
8/22/24 1:41 a.m.

Rusty, 2004 mazda6, manual, fwd. Needs brakes (don't remember front or rear, grinding). Aged out all seasons tires. Cel, slight hesitation on acceleration, slight rough idle at times. Been sitting for about a year. Crusty LR quarter and pinch welds, had to lift using control arms couple years prior at work. Free-ish. Buy me a good bottle of bourbon? Located in twin cities.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/22/24 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Fly 'N Drive?  It's only 11 hours.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/22/24 12:01 p.m.

I've got 3 possibles near Columbus GA:

2004 MINI Cooper S JCW. $3500 Got some bumps and bruises, but excellent driver. OK, that's not slow...

2005 Audi Q7. $3800.  Decent car. Has some paint fade and high miles. Always been reliable. A couple minor issues (headlight, brake light)  

2005 RX8. Clean car (although it's been repainted- not great). $4500

They are all daily drivers. The MINI and the RX8 are both manuals. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
8/22/24 1:54 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Pm. 

PM sent!

sibanez
sibanez New Reader
8/23/24 10:53 a.m.

My daughter's 2014 Mazda 3 will be for sale after Labor Day. Mechanically it is great, has been run back and forth to Pittsburgh several times this summer. It is an auto with the 2.0. The car is approaching 180K, but has been well maintained.

I'm going to ask $5K, but am flexible. My daughter managed to catch a curb when pulling out of a parking space and crumpled one of the rocker panels. I bought the car with one rocker panel dented, so it is matching. Car was also in a front-end collision at some point and the repair was OK, not great. 

Perfect car for a teenager, has sensors to let you know if someone is next to you. It's a gray hatch, so it doesn't stand out, and maintenance has been cheap. 

Car is in 17011 - fly into MDT or BWI. Recently drove it to St. Louis and back (1450 round trip) without issue. 

DM me if you are are interested.

vikasmsh
vikasmsh New Reader
8/23/24 2:16 p.m.

Not sure where you are located but I'm going to be putting my first car up for sale this weekend, it's probably the most reliable and economic thing in the world. 1997 Toyota camry I4 auto. Low miles for the year @137k. Tons of recent maintenance over the last few years, went overboard on a few things. Has a couple scratches/dents and paint peel on the hood. Everything works. I live in VA near DC but the car has been as far south as tennesee and been NYC mutliple times in the last couple years and I would drive it cross country. 

Edit: No rust on the thing at all

Fueled by Caffeine
8/24/24 8:02 a.m.

I'm going to get back to some of you soon. I just spent a week flying to Boston ending in buffalo seeing customers and putting over 1000 miles on a rental car.  I'm blitzed. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
8/24/24 8:48 a.m.

In reply to vikasmsh :

Every new driver need one of these.

vikasmsh
vikasmsh New Reader
8/24/24 10:06 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Yeah I totally agree. It's pretty much a tank. Lotta sentiment attached with this one so ideally want it to go to a good home. It helped me save so much money and is so dependable.

Antihero
Antihero PowerDork
8/24/24 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I drive one with the 4cyl and a manual that was slower then bicycles I had. Could be a plus for a new driver really.

My mom had a i6 automatic wagon for years that I wish I could get back

P3PPY
P3PPY SuperDork
8/25/24 7:17 a.m.

In reply to vikasmsh :

I don't see where you listed a price, but it is early 

vikasmsh
vikasmsh New Reader
8/25/24 1:26 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I was thinking of listing it for 3.5 on facebook/craigslist but I know I'll probably end up with a bit less than that. I would probably start the asking at 3k here on the forum. Just waiting for my fiance sister in law to give it back to me during this week as she's borrowing it while waiting for a new car delivery, hoping to list before labour day. 

vikasmsh
vikasmsh New Reader
8/31/24 9:26 p.m.

Listed it yesterday in case anyone here was looking

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Um7wDSQWFMbwqyePGesRaaJAB0wv1VibnHWkAFgjXsevWxin6t5CXxjxWQjJMGqA