1 2
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/23/24 10:11 a.m.

Is it just me or is this crazy cheap?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/26097907116490363

How bad would it be to maintain one of these? Twin turbo w12, torsen AWD, 0-60 in 4.8s and 198mph top speed seem like amazing specs for $18k. That's used Camry money. But repairs would cost used Bentley money. Who's insane enough to try it?!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/23/24 10:08 p.m.

That's not the kind of car that you want to buy curbside in Brooklyn.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/24/24 9:23 a.m.

I'd imagine it'd be somewhere between "Wow this is hard" and "I wouldn't wish this on my enemies."

That being said, I'd like to think that the price of entry outweighs at least some of the looming expenses.

Also? Life is short, how many times in your life can you say you've not only driven a Bentley, but owned one, too?

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/24/24 9:45 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I agree.... but look at that thing... I'd be hard pressed to not YOLO it for a few months, and flip it at that price.  What could go wrong?!  haha. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/24/24 11:30 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

I'd imagine it'd be somewhere between "Wow this is hard" and "I wouldn't wish this on my enemies."

That being said, I'd like to think that the price of entry outweighs at least some of the looming expenses.

Also? Life is short, how many times in your life can you say you've not only driven a Bentley, but owned one, too?

They are basically big VW's. Not hard to work on at all if you have the software and tools. But sometimes weird things really break the bank. Like the rear 3rd brake light, getting the starter out requires taking the engine off its mounts. Also suspension and bushings just flat out fail every 30-40K miles from the weight. 

Having said all that you can get a good 40K mile example from 2010+ for not much more when you factor in the deferred maintenance.  That car has some deferred work to do trust me. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/24/24 12:13 p.m.

That's so sketch.  I mean, once you're driving a Bentley, why are you going to sell it?  To get into a Malibu?  That it's for sale (curbside) tells me he knows there is a big bill coming.  I might gamble, but it's going to have to have some better provenance than this one.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/24/24 12:13 p.m.
golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/24/24 12:29 p.m.

I'd just get a decent shop's PPI and definitely one-night stand it... Cmonnnn.  Bentley greatness! 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/24/24 12:48 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Hmmmm

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d35&zip=43215#listing=363733725/NONE/DEFAULT

it's even a much better color. 

They are out there. Cargurus always blocks my IP at work so cannot look. 45K gets you a really good one if you look around. 

I really wanted a 2014+ flying spur and almost pulled the trigger a few times. My uncle had 120K miles on his super-sport with zero unexpected issues. he moved onto a Maybach and that was the worst car I think he has ever had for issues. 

Deep down I want a Ghost though and I have yet to see a good on around 90-100K in a good colorway and mileage. Bunch of 50-60k mile cars but used in fleets. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/24/24 1:00 p.m.

How many Juul pods are stuck under the front seats?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/24/24 1:21 p.m.

It's an '05 in Spruce green with Magnolia interior and 42k miles. Screen shot:

adam525i
adam525i SuperDork
7/24/24 3:14 p.m.
golfduke said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I agree.... but look at that thing... I'd be hard pressed to not YOLO it for a few months, and flip it at that price.  What could go wrong?!  haha. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
7/24/24 6:24 p.m.
dculberson said:

It's an '05 in Spruce green with Magnolia interior and 42k miles. Screen shot:

That is decently priced but I bet you could get it another 2-3K cheaper. It will need suspension and joints and a few other odds and ends for around 5-6K if you do it yourself but that is a TON of car for the money. 

Still a 2005 VW though so I would not due it in a inspection state where you have to show 100% clean CEL for registration. 

dan0
dan0 Dork
7/24/24 7:00 p.m.

Decent action movie "Doomsday" had a Bentley in the final chase scene. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/24/24 7:15 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

It always bugged me that that chase happened on an immaculately maintained road in what was supposed have been a quarantined wasteland for like 15-20 years.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/24/24 8:33 p.m.

I have a good friend who is a Bentley & Rolls Royce mechanic.  He says if he had FU money and someone else had to work on it, he still wouldn't own one.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
7/24/24 8:59 p.m.

I look at this, then remember my 06 M5 does 205 mph, and is only a little (ok.a lot) more expensive to maintain.  But v10. V10!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/24/24 11:13 p.m.
racerfink said:

I have a good friend who is a Bentley & Rolls Royce mechanic.  He says if he had FU money and someone else had to work on it, he still wouldn't own one.

Welp that's a ringing endorsement. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
7/25/24 12:19 a.m.

I owned the fat sedan version of this back in '08-'11 in the form of the Phaeton.

Phenominal driving vehicle and nearly ruined me for other vehicles.  You spend some time in ultra smooth German luxury and the next time you drive a normal Impala or Suburban it'll feel like an ox-cart.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
7/25/24 1:45 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Completely agree.  But, every tech I've spoken to wouldn't own one. They make it sound like a nightmare to work on. So it's the best working, worst broken?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/25/24 7:36 a.m.

In reply to Docwemple :

V10 is cool but this one goes 2 more! (V12)

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
7/25/24 7:57 a.m.
racerfink said:

Every BMW tech tells you BMWs are junk, every Ford tech tells you Fords are junk, etc. if all you do is see broken ones, I get it. I know 4 people with Bentleys and none have had any issues at all. One is a 2008 daily driver, has 175k miles, like a Honda, tires, brakes, oil, are the only things they've done. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
7/25/24 11:27 a.m.

Isnt it just two VR6 engines?

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
7/25/24 11:28 a.m.
Docwemple said:

I look at this, then remember my 06 M5 does 205 mph, and is only a little (ok.a lot) more expensive to maintain.  But v10. V10!

E60 M5 is still on my list to own.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
7/25/24 12:47 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

The sound is addictive,  especially if you have only primary cats and straight pipes. Like me 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WbtuW2EfS4vB1fgryzNkKcjCvII0sPb2iuyDaTEQojFSfvE6TdS87TmaWHNYjkWm