1 2
jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/28/21 6:27 a.m.

If you have been around NASA mid-Atlantic the last few years, you may have spotted my bus. 

1983 Bluebird Wanderlodge.  FC35, rear bath. 

3 year old Jasper 3208 turbo Cat. 
2 year old airbags, 1 year old tires and a matching full size spare on a new Alcoa. Jake brake, generator, musical horns, orange carpet...original. No structural rust. Very little rust of any kind. 
I bought it when my clan was all going racing with me...times have changed a bit. 
Weirdly, this thing gets more attention than million dollar rigs in the paddock. 
Tows like a dream and with three rooftop ac, keeps things cool in the summer paddocks. Docks with 50 amp, 30 amp or even a 120v. 
It has a few things to do: generator works but is somewhat temperamental. Fridge control panel could be replaced (I run it on gas). 
comes with a fantastic gas grill too!  
I can FaceTime or zoom serious folks but it is inside my sons shop about an hour away so that will have to be scheduled. 
$30,000

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

What speed can it run comfortably on the interstate?

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/28/21 10:46 a.m.

Any interior pictures? It's on the opposite coast, but I've been looking for one.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/21 11:04 a.m.

Interested. 

May be pushing my budget a little, but still very interested. 

Waiting for some interior shots. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:03 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

Interested. 

May be pushing my budget a little, but still very interested. 

I have asked my son to take some interior shots tonight.  It is original, so an online search will probably find similar.  Heck, i think i have some posted on this site somewhere.  It has orange carpet, brownish patterned sofas, tan leather driver/passenger seats.  All as original.  It has a real tub/shower in the bath and new toilet.  The bunks are incredibly comfortable (I have a twitchy back so the beds are very good).  No queen...we call them "Ricky and Lucy beds".  

Waiting for some interior shots. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:03 a.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

Pics coming tonight or as soon as my son sends them to me.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Hey Pete...it will run 62 all day/all night on flat land.  65 is doable.  I rarely hit 70.  Uphill, it's like a loaded tractor trailer on a mountain.  You just have to be patient and go with the flow.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:09 a.m.

FOUND THE PICS ON THIS SITE.  Go to "30000 pound turbo project" posted by me..lots of interior shots and also shows the new engine going in.  

I can't look at it long...makes me want to keep it.  Dang it.

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
3/29/21 6:54 p.m.

A dollar a pound, eh?

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 7:56 p.m.
P3PPY said:

A dollar a pound, eh?

That would be $35,000 I believe.  Dry. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:00 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:03 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:05 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:09 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:11 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:15 p.m.

There ya'll go.  That's a pretty good representation of the interior.  It is pretty 70's, made in the 80's.  It has a few bumps and bruises, but for the age, it's pretty amazing.  I didn't deep clean it when i parked it at my son's this fall, so it does shine up a bit better.  Awnings are all solid.  Glass is all good.  Blinds are all good.  

It starts and runs fine.  If it doesn't sell before I get down there, I will do a video walkaround and pop it on youtube.  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/29/21 8:26 p.m.

Here are some images of the engine swap...new Jasper.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 9:49 p.m.

I had quite a few folks from the Wanderlodge forum email but it seems that everybody is either on the west coast or not quite ready to buy. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/3/21 12:34 a.m.

Those photos look hauntingly familiar.....

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/3/21 6:52 a.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

Those photos look hauntingly familiar.....

Yes...I've been following you!  You however, took it to the next level. Actually about 100 levels up. 

4/3/21 10:54 a.m.

Yours is running again so I am not ahead of anyone at this point.

4/3/21 10:57 a.m.

You sure you want to sell it? I thought about it as well because my kids are grown and no longer want to do bus adventures. But then I considered 15 years of retirement with no bus and changed my mind. I knew I would regret it every summer so I doubled down instead.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/3/21 5:45 p.m.

Yours is running again so I am not ahead of anyone at this point.

You are heading towards Wanderlodge immortality with your conversion. I beg to differ. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/3/21 5:50 p.m.

You sure you want to sell it? I thought about it as well because my kids are grown and no longer want to do bus adventures. But then I considered 15 years of retirement with no bus and changed my mind. I knew I would regret it every summer so I doubled down instead.

I really love this thing.  To answer your question, I'm vacillating.  It's primary purpose has been as a race support vehicle. As the kids grow older and scatter a bit, it seems a little extreme for 1 or 2 people...but it is a really nice example and the hard work is done. 
I don't think I will lose sleep either way. Purging all the projects seems less important today than last week. I need an accountability group. 

4/3/21 8:06 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

I had the same dilemma. So much bus for two people. But after looking at some Travcos and GMCs I decided I was not prepared to downsize. Fortunately I have lots of room to park it and even after my conversion I will not have spent so much on it that I feel I need to get my money's worth somehow. It can sit for 50 weeks a year if necessary. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n2tRe7pa30RuXEj4nwY8NcSMvx91OryGiIHJExLm6YZAhL1GI5DyRFgVeMLVAuDW