1 2
Rupert
Rupert Reader
2/27/14 1:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Looking at the advertisement again I saw nothing to suggest a specific model had to race there before now. And from the looking at their list of eligible cars, I doubt several of them ever have.

It's a moot point with me anyway. I expect to be in the UK during that time frame.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/28/14 7:47 a.m.

How about an 86 Fox, looks sorta like

<=

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/3/14 4:12 p.m.

Roush ran those mustangs in 86. I wish I could take the time off to go.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote Reader
3/3/14 6:05 p.m.

At first I thought this was a foolish idea, but now that I have actually read the rules it makes sense in a twisted racing way. 4 50 minute sessions should not overtax a properly maintained vintage racer. Bring lots of spares and a crew to help and you can finish.

Could be that Miata's may not class well with some of the vintage cars, especially since they are still relevant today.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/14 11:30 a.m.
TxCoyote wrote: At first I thought this was a foolish idea, but now that I have actually read the rules it makes sense in a twisted racing way. 4 50 minute sessions should not overtax a properly maintained vintage racer. Bring lots of spares and a crew to help and you can finish.

Le Mans Classic was done that way--might have been only three sessions, though. Either way, it seemed to be the right mix. Doing a full 24-hour race takes a giant commitment. This format seems a lot easier to digest.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote Reader
3/4/14 2:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
TxCoyote wrote: At first I thought this was a foolish idea, but now that I have actually read the rules it makes sense in a twisted racing way. 4 50 minute sessions should not overtax a properly maintained vintage racer. Bring lots of spares and a crew to help and you can finish.
Le Mans Classic was done that way--might have been only three sessions, though. Either way, it seemed to be the right mix. Doing a full 24-hour race takes a giant commitment. This format seems a lot easier to digest.

Agreed David. Can't imagine the cost of repairs after a typical 24 on my 2002 and it is a reliable car!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/14 2:04 p.m.

Plus, to do a full 24-hour race there's the crew--and I mean the entire crew. You have the over-the-wall guys, a tire guy, a fuel guy, a strategy guy. Oh, and a full crew to feed them. Add in tires and fuel, and now it's wicked expensive.

This new format seems manageable. It's still a big deal, but I could see a club racer taking a stab at it.

You know, the 2002 could be a great choice, especially if it rains.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote Reader
3/4/14 2:32 p.m.

Racing ain't cheap that's for sure. I am thinking about it but it is probably not in the budget this year. I've got a full schedule with CVAR and I already added the Mitty. I guess my Daughter could skip college next year

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
3/14/14 6:41 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: Porsche 907L

I would then be driving the team car with you.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
3/14/14 6:49 p.m.

Having participated in 24 hour races there is no way to explain the logistics and number of people required to field a car. You have to live it to understand it. Their proposed hybrid 24 hour race is a very good plan to making it a sucsesful event

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ygkaGANCNHH4aKQ2cJQ76MvhqqkuL6cuuIf3U9tTYV5xsg8ebz8iuXZd4sQUcHzN