Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/17/24 11:28 a.m.

I wasn't even aware of this car until recently:

There's one on Facebook for what seems like not a lot of money considering the condition. They're certainly slow by modern standards, but they kinda push my aesthetic buttons, and I'd bet that one could replace the motor with a later boxer motorcycle engine if one really wanted to. They used to be pretty competitive in small-bore racing classes.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1809236906154002

Any feedback on these? They made a goodly number, but parts don't look cheap.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
7/17/24 11:42 a.m.

That is crazy cool looking! Reminds me a bit of an Alfa of similar vintage. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/17/24 11:48 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Or a type 3 notchback

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/18/24 9:02 a.m.

Yes, a bit of a rare bird these days, but you do see them. Somewhere I have photos of a race-prepped one that we judged at Hilton Head. 

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
7/18/24 9:30 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yes, a bit of a rare bird these days, but you do see them. Somewhere I have photos of a race-prepped one that we judged at Hilton Head. 

Would you be willing to unearth those and share them? It would be cool to see it!

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
7/18/24 10:06 a.m.

I think they are really cool. My uncle had one way back, it was slow but I really liked it. 

The one for sale is a sedan, the race cars are usually built out of the coupe chassis. The coupes have a different B pillar with a more slanted rear window. 

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
7/18/24 10:25 a.m.

Those are awesome looking! What engines would they run in the race versions?

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
7/18/24 10:30 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Stock they had 2 cylinder boxer engines. Air cooled engines from the motorcycles.

So probably that same engine modified for racing.

There was also a cool RS body that look somewhat like a Porsche 550

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
7/18/24 11:11 a.m.
Slippery said:

I think they are really cool. My uncle had one way back, it was slow but I really liked it. 

The one for sale is a sedan, the race cars are usually built out of the coupe chassis. The coupes have a different B pillar with a more slanted rear window. 

These photos seem to show the same car, but the museum version has a filler door on the leading edge of the hood. What would that be used for? 

dyintorace
dyintorace UltimaDork
7/18/24 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

That is cool too!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pZuknbgD8iy6rqjFYXJR7RbgiaxR45B63xhTJOwEe6TYizdZmBclhNOiX8GeOqju