Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/25/12 6:49 a.m.

Spent most of yesterday dismantling a very rusty Mercedes 230S we picked up about a week ago in nearby Orlando. Looks like I have most of what I need to put our project car together. I do love parts cars. I think this one will give me needed parts, spares, and plenty to sell. With scrap prices so high, the carcass will also be worth something. I have a good drive train if anyone needs it. I was thinking of writing an article with how this whole car plays out, from what it cost to buy, to how much time it took to disassemble to what became of all the pieces. Does this strike anyone as interesting?

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
6/25/12 7:05 a.m.

That sounds like a very good angle. I for one am interested.

Leo

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/25/12 7:22 a.m.

Fits in with the whole theme.

I mean new parts are great (some of them anyhow). Sometimes they are required but if I can replace on the dime I will. Being under funded is so annoying.

For me personally I do weight the "job" on the my time vs cost vs how important the piece is/does it take the car off line...

Andre

Vince
Vince Reader
6/25/12 9:08 a.m.

Would be great to hear how the parts car works into the plan with respect to the budget as well as getting the job done as a doner...

Best of luck with the project!

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/25/12 10:55 a.m.

I saved My Latest Parts Car

But I fully understand you can't save all of them.
So yes, I'd be interested in a story dealing with parts cars.

[edit] As I think about it, maybe you could discuss the ethics of "save" or "don't save". The answer is easy with a rotted out Aries K-car.....but less obvious with something like a rusty P1800. I know I've heard my friends discuss this question.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/25/12 11:40 a.m.

There's an MGB down the street from me, that has been under a blue tarp for several years now. I've often considered making an offer, but I've wondered about the economics of parting it out if it couldn't be saved. By all means do the article.

Stu

rconlon
rconlon HalfDork
6/26/12 9:26 a.m.

The value of a parts car is in the wheels first. A set of alloy wheels will always have a buyer. I bought half a $200 Fiat for the Cromadora wheels and the other owner got the rest of the car. I would be interested in Tim's take on his parts car. My 79 Fiat had been restored with many parts from an earlier model and, during my tenure, I have replaced the transmisson, interior, wheels and trim with original 1979 parts car pieces. I don't have room to store a parts car but have passed them to others quickly.

Cheers Ron

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
6/26/12 5:16 p.m.

I am always interested in cars that are being disassembled.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
6/28/12 11:18 a.m.

Very good idea on the article and price of scrap is nice right now .

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/29/12 9:48 p.m.

This parts car is very rusty. If it were a Ferrari 330GTC, you would save it. If it were a 308 or Mondial, you would not. All four floors are gone, both rockers are totally gone. The bottoms of all four fenders and all four doors are gone. Fortunately, the parts we needed were mostly interior and trim, all of which are good on this car. I now have good seats,($1600 new, plus the time to change them), a good carpet kit ($300-400), a nearly perfect padded dash, ($1200 new and hard to find) a usable headliner (probably $200-300). In addition, I now have extra wiper, ignition, headlight switches as well as instrument cluster, a perfect hood and deck lid and tons of other small bits, clips and trim items. Oddly enough, our car has very little rust, but the trunk floor is rusted badly. The parts car has tons of rust, but a perfect, rust-free trunk floor. I am not sure what this panel would cost, or even if it is available, but I a sure it would be about $400. Essentially, that $1400 parts car gave me almost everything I need, plus I get factory tinted glass and another entire A/C system. Feeling pretty good, and it took two evenings to take all this stuff apart. Oh, and the engine is also good.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/29/12 9:50 p.m.

I guess the 2nd point to all of this...

Unless your flipping the parts for profit you need STORAGE space. ;)

Still well done.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/30/12 6:47 a.m.

Very good point. Keeping switches and small bits is easy. Even hoods and deck lids could be stuck in the attic, but storing extra engines and suspension corners is real problematic. I hate to sell something and the then need it the next week.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/30/12 9:50 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I hate to sell something and the then need it the next week.

I bet we all feel like that. Thus, I have four 1275 engines and six Spridget gearboxes in my garage.
Ya never know!

davewillson25
davewillson25 New Reader
7/1/12 8:17 a.m.

Which noise like a an extremely good angle. I for one am curious. Really good piece of advice regarding the article as well as price tag of scrap is sweet correct now .

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
7/5/12 11:18 a.m.

First thing I'd do with that keeper Mercedes is replace the trunk seal. Or did you already do that? Anyway, I think they're still available new. As for storing old engines and trannies; that's what the space under the workbench is for. :)

Question: Will you have the remaining rotted shell towed / dragged away or would you cut it up and haul the remainder to the scrapper?

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/5/12 5:01 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: I hate to sell something and the then need it the next week.
I bet we all feel like that. Thus, I have four 1275 engines and six Spridget gearboxes in my garage. Ya never know!

...and why we have a spare B20 and a spare Triumph 2L I6. Not to mention the B20 from my crusty ES...

And we're passively earching for a rebuildable 1500 Spit engine.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
7/5/12 5:24 p.m.

Yeah I have a spare trans, diff and engine for both the FIAT and GT6. Plus each car has 2 set of wheels

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQklmD6LijppHuOdN4qqQWhjNzfRbPGUjYoqJdt376JJReTKv7J5ISPZJrBFPYkR