Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/10/10 9:33 a.m.

Although on this forum, we tend to gravatate towards European sports cars, I'm sure most of us have a soft spot for American iron of some type. Muscle cars are somewhat a given (I'm partial to Mopars), but how about big cruisers?

A couple of years ago, I read an article about the Pike Peak hillclimb which mentioned having a 'classic' class. The photo example was of a '49 Caddy fastback that was prepped for La Carrera Panamerica. I've been enamored with them ever since. That body style just looks so freakin' cool.

(that's a '41 I found on Hemmings for sale)

Of course, the lazy hot-rodder in me would want to drop in a new E-Rod crate motor with a 4 spd automatic and a/c, but I would otherwise leave it as stock-looking as possible.

Anyone else have a similar guilty pleasure?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
12/10/10 9:37 a.m.

If you promise to tell no one, I'll admit to dearly loving the ride and the surprisingly good handling of my aunt's early 70's Oldsmobile Delta 88.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
12/10/10 9:56 a.m.

I love the late 20s early 30s cars - we built cars that were best in the world. It would be tempting to do the hot rod thing with a 4-door 1936 buick roadmaster

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
12/10/10 10:15 a.m.

"guilty pleasure" !!! fantastic... thats really what it is too! my current list o cars is mostly right for this forum but there is a 1958 chevy biscayne in the mix that just feels right to drive! its slow, ill handling and wont stop once its moving at all but i love it.... http://classicmotorsports.net/reader-rides/972/

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
12/10/10 10:18 a.m.

Don't tell my British car buddies, but...

The first generation Olds Toronado and the top of the line '61 Chevy convertible (HAS to be the red and white color scheme) come to mind for me. Or maybe a '58 (IIRC) Ford Skyliner, the retractable. Modern radials and a bit firmer suspensions is all they would need.

Stu

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
12/10/10 11:24 a.m.

Nope.

Zero interest in tanks unless it has a class III hitch and can carry 12 race tires plus a spare 1275.

Gary
Gary Reader
12/10/10 11:48 a.m.

Juan Manuel Fangio began his career racing a hot-rodded 1940 Chevy business coupe on mountain roads in his home country of Argentina. I’d love to have a replica of that car using a ’38, ‘39 or ’40 Chevy coupe as a basis, similar to the ’39 Fangio replica that won this year’s Peking to Paris rally.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/18484-peking-to-paris-wrap-up-chevrolet-dominates/

Pretty cool. What a great car to run a domestic vintage rally with!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
12/10/10 12:18 p.m.

I confess a weakness for the Ford LTD's and Lincolns of the early to mid 70's. I wouldn't want to have one necessarily, but I love to see them in great shape and on the road.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
12/10/10 2:11 p.m.

I like late '50's T-Birds, and late '30's, early '40's trucks. And I'd love a 1st gen Riviera.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/11/10 9:16 a.m.

Rats, I was waiting for one of these.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/12/10 10:10 a.m.

I have a 70 455 Wildcat survivor, it's a pleasure to drive around. I could almost fit the 911 in the trunk LOL.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
12/12/10 11:58 a.m.

I don't know where this is more appropriate, here or the best road trip ride forum. But the four wheeled boat I owned and loved was a '66 Jag MK-10 with the 4.2 triple carb. motor.

Room for a couple of caskets in the trunk. Plush & supportive leather seats that would fit well in a men's club library. Twin fuel tanks, so you don't have to worry as much about inferior fuel.

Of course in the US, the speed limits as so low, it is hard to stay out of jail driving any Jag. The cars you're passing tend to look like telephone poles on the side of the road.

Of course the floating 45' convertible sport-fisherman boat is a blast too. Just another medium.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
12/12/10 12:07 p.m.

In reply to stu67tiger:

While living in Southern California in the 60's, I found a boat was great out on the dessert, say when going to Vegas or Reno. My dessert boat was a '66 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 with tri-power & a "rock crusher" 4-speed.

Of course when staying in the mountains during winter I had to learn a trick about cold morning start-up. I learned to always back in and leave the gearbox in 2nd gear. Until the grease warmed up, there was no way to shift gears in that car when it was very cold!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/12/10 7:34 p.m.
blackrabbit wrote: "guilty pleasure" !!! fantastic... thats really what it is too! my current list o cars is mostly right for this forum but there is a 1958 chevy biscayne in the mix that just feels right to drive! its slow, ill handling and wont stop once its moving at all but i love it.... http://classicmotorsports.net/reader-rides/972/

The '58 Chevy doesn't get much respect, but I still dig them.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/13/10 6:43 a.m.

I was a hare's breath away from building one of these as a Challenger. I wouldn't be the fastest, wouldn't be the quickest at Auto-X but that trunk will hold about every tool I own!

Dan

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/10 11:33 p.m.
Rad_Capz wrote: I have a 70 455 Wildcat survivor, it's a pleasure to drive around. I could almost fit the 911 in the trunk LOL.

You know, now that I see that picture, I think my grandparents had one when I was really young.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
12/13/10 11:47 p.m.

I would really love a 63 T-Bird. The bullet bird as they're called. Long, low, with a tall greenhouse. Done in a light resto-mod fashion. Sort of like this:

I'd want to drive it every day, but they get about 8 MPG!!

wspohn
wspohn Reader
12/14/10 10:38 a.m.

If I want a barge I'll still buy British. In fact I did, once. A Jaguar Mk 9. Good power, and 4 wheel discs in an era when even Corvettes were lumbering around with drums.

Sorry, I have zero taste for American cars unless they are sports cars - got two of them right now. Otherwise, American cars just make good tow cars.

TR8owner
TR8owner New Reader
12/14/10 3:41 p.m.

I had a 1965 Ford Galaxy 4 door as a tow vehicle for my racing Spitfire MkIII in the early 1970's. My parents neighbor gave it to me for free which tells you how much of a beater it was, but I was trying to race and go to college at the same time so I really appreciated it. They were great big boats but the big engined 427's actually dominated British saloon car racing in the mid 60's, beating Jaguar sedans, Lotus Cortinas, Minis, etc.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
12/15/10 8:24 a.m.
KaptKaos wrote: I would really love a 63 T-Bird. The bullet bird as they're called. Long, low, with a tall greenhouse. Done in a light resto-mod fashion. Sort of like this: I'd want to drive it every day, but they get about 8 MPG!!

Back in my college days I had a '67 Cougar with a 390 4 speed. The best mpg I ever got was 11 or 12. It mostly got in the 6 to 8 mpg range. It was fun, but I couldn't afford to drive it, so I sold it and bought an MG.

Bainford
Bainford New Reader
12/15/10 10:00 a.m.

There are several different barges that I've secretly lusted after over the years, but the one that remains stuck in my craw is the 64 Galaxie. In fact, make mine a wagon. What a great road trip/camping machine.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/15/10 6:45 p.m.
Bainford wrote: In fact, make mine a wagon. What a great road trip/camping machine.

Now we're talking! I grew up in the back of a '58 Voyager with a 430 and juke box drive. Been looking for one since I was ten years old.

Dan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5LFtjGDCHHq6vPIj6labosjPEmaMxwOwRAkplpA54uMdkiv839i30fxwsTYvRm8L