Leo  Basile
Leo Basile HalfDork
12/14/15 8:11 a.m.

Can someone educate me a bit on Lucas FI circa early to mid 60s. I know that's a broad question, but I'm sure it will induce some discussion.

Next question: Who has one they want to get rid of? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Cheers, Leo

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/14/15 8:16 a.m.

Kinsler sells parts for Lucas fuel injection systems. They have some information on their website:
http://www.kinsler.com/
http://www.kinsler.com/Kinsler-Handbook/HTML/#208

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile HalfDork
12/14/15 8:51 a.m.

Thanks Stuart, I went over their info and plan on calling them when I get back state side, but I was looking for some real world experience to comment on the good, bad, and ugly of the FI

Leo

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
12/19/15 9:28 a.m.

I built a Vintage race car with Mechanical fuel injection and once you wrap your head around the idea it's a controlled leak things get pretty simple.. I wound up using Hilborn rather than Lucas because parts are available (still) whereas a lot of Lucas Parts are hens teeth.

The intake manifold is a rather simple affair and in a pinch you could use Carbs as throttle bodies. Or buy throttle bodies from TWM/Kinsler or others.. It doesn't matter which intake you use.. you can even adapt Lucas manifold to run on a hilborn system. To keep things simple if you intend to make your own throttle bodies it isn't all that tough if you have fabrication skills..

The pump is just a pump.. I believe there are even Lucas Pumps still available.. One of the tougher parts is the drive. Most pumps are either crank driven or in some way drive off the camshaft.. (they may also drive through the distributor driven off the camshaft)

Distribution of fuel is straight forward except injectors vary tremendously. The biggest hurdle is the valving or timing method. The Brilliant part of a Hilborn is it's a simple ramp and bypass arrangement. X amount of horsepower equals Y amount of fuel.. Unlike Lucas if air density changes during the race (common) Hilborn offers a simple dash mounted selector which allows you to dial in the correct jet for the conditions, Pace lap? Maximum power? Air density goes down? Goes up? Best fuel mileage? Idling? click click click.
Lucas on the other hand requires a different ramp for each situation..

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile HalfDork
12/20/15 1:24 p.m.

Thanks Frenchy! I'm going to give Kinsler a call in January and take a serious look at this.

Driving the pump will be the only real challenge.

Cheers, Leo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FN0CFpWfOD7LP2E9laSTp2nsAhAgGQAP5sKPRkzftlRgNmtZnFhY6vPhFpY8aS0q