purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
9/7/08 2:59 p.m.

Just got the newest CM & enjoyed the comparison of new classics to old ones. However the repeated references to the MGb's 'heavy steering bothered me. The MGB was designed for bias ply tires & as such the higher slip angles of bias ply tires require a large castor angle (5 to 7 degrees). This is unnecessary with modern radial tires & is a major cause of steering effort. Add wider rims & tires plus a reduced diameter steering wheel & Surprise! Surprise! It's hard to steer @ low speed. As eartly as the 70s Costello was marketing a shim kit to reduce castor & thus steering effort. Currently Moss markets aluminum shims a la Costello & Alan Tucker @ British Sports Car Repair 7176321778 markets plastic shims @ about 1/5 the price. Alan's kit allows my not very large or strong wife to autocross our B/Gt with 6' rims & 195/60 sticky tires using a 'Fatman's steering wheel w/o problem. I highly recommend it. Alex

Shinsen774
Shinsen774 Reader
9/7/08 5:08 p.m.

I have 185/70 14 inch radial tires on stock wire wheels on my '64 MGB and the steering is very light.....while obviously not power assisted, it's not that much different from my 2003 Miata with power steering really.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yNdPohuvUOoUrfGWqpvCjxKOHFJFikDiUrnbcWYy7ZtoAmzCHnPUuXGQUskcYBTW