Flatspot
Flatspot New Reader
10/12/13 4:00 p.m.

I have toyed with purchasing a "classic" car for several years but never pulled the trigger. I currently have a 97 M3 I bought new and is now set up for the track ( although still street legal) and this has been the focus of my free funds, and is a car I plan to keep forever. But I turn 60 next month and am yearning for another toy. I have found three candidates, all in the same price range, and looking for your opinions. While I used to do maintainance type wrenching back in the day, I am not looking for something that will constantly challenge me to keep it roadworthy. So my choices are:

1986 Alfa Spider Veloce. This car is in near pristine condition with fewer than 10,000 original miles. Garaged since new. I bought a 1986 Graduate model new off the showroom floor and also owned a '73 right after college. Price $13.5K

1971 Datsun 240Z - rust free driver, 75K miles. California car. Interior is in excellent condiion other than dash cap over cracked dash. Rebuilt tranny from a 72. Body is decent - no rust but several minor nicks / touch ups and yellow paint is faded. Current owner (since 2010) has original paperwork for car and about $4k in repair receipts including the rebuilt tranny. Always loved the look of these cars but never owned one. Price - $11K

1961 MGA - older restoration - minor sorting makes it a decent driver, but will need a lot to be considered "restored". No rust anywhere. Possible that front fender was replaced - front bumper may be repop as well. Current owner has no documentation. I owned one of these in the early 80's, but this might have too many needs for the time I have to devote to it. But I love the look of these cars. Price - $12K

Any comments that help me decide would be greatly appreciated.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/12/13 5:10 p.m.

All of them will be "needy" compared to a modern car, but my thought is the 240Z sounds like the best of the bunch. While the Alfa has very miles, it almost sounds like it has too few miles and may be due for a fair amount of freshening up if the plan is to drive it regularly. While my heard tugs at the MGA the most (as an owner of two LBC's), it sounds like a bit over-priced for the amount of work it seems to need.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
10/12/13 6:56 p.m.

Since Ian gave you the responsible opinion, I will do the opposite.

MGA.

Why?

Because it's an MGA. And they are downright cool.

Ian F wrote: All of them will be "needy" compared to a modern car, but my thought is the 240Z sounds like the best of the bunch. While the Alfa has very miles, it almost sounds like it has too few miles and may be due for a fair amount of freshening up if the plan is to drive it regularly. While my heard tugs at the MGA the most (as an owner of two LBC's), it sounds like a bit over-priced for the amount of work it seems to need.
kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/12/13 10:44 p.m.

240Zs are great. Any S30 is great really, 260z or 280z I would look at as well. Just strip off the fat and put on 240z stuff to replace it.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
10/13/13 11:55 a.m.

I've always really liked the 240Z's but there is something special about owning a convertible.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/13/13 3:51 p.m.

Well since you said you have already owned a Spider and a MGA, I would suggest the 240Z. There are so many cool cars in this world that I always try to go with what I haven't sampled yet. YMMV.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/13/13 4:51 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74:

I don't necessarily disagree, but just not the MGA he described. That one sounds over-priced, although I haven't researched MGA prices all that extensively.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
10/14/13 4:13 a.m.

I guess I don't track them with great regularity, but they do catch my eye from time to time. They all seem overpriced to me

Ian F wrote: In reply to paranoid_android74: I don't necessarily disagree, but just not the MGA he described. That one sounds over-priced, although I haven't researched MGA prices all that extensively.
Flatspot
Flatspot New Reader
10/14/13 5:13 p.m.

Just looked at the Alfa. It is a time capsule. I have looked at other low milage cars that were not stored properly and usually show a lot of degradation to soft interior surfaces as wellrubber parts despite seller's highly optimistic definition of "like new" Not the case here. The owner is a retired guy anda restorer hobbiest and knew to go through it when he got the car from a family member to take care of many of the things, mostly electrical (fuel pump, window regulator) and some rubber hoses, showing deterioration. Nonetheless it is not perfect, but pretty darn close. A couple of scratches that look like they will buff out and one tiny pinpoint ding on a fender surface that looks like a dentless removal candidate. A solid #2 car that, if you got really anal, could be made concours quality. Any idea what value might be? Is Hagarty any value in figuing what to offer. Unfortunately, while a nice guy, he is not the most motivated seller.

My goal is not to go to Pebble Beach - just to find a car with some character and one that does not need constant major attention to keep it roadworthy, aesthetically pleasing and fun.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
10/14/13 5:26 p.m.

I bought one of the Alfas new in the '80's, and just sold my 240Z earlier this year. I loved them both. Given my choice again, I'd probably go 240, but it would be really, really close with the Alfa. Going against the grain here, I'd say the Alfa would have less overall maintenance. No carbs or points to deal with (although that can be fixed in the Datsun). I also think the Alfas will appreciate faster than the 240, if that's worth anything to you.

I've owned a B, but never an A, however it's probably the best looking of the 3 you mentioned. And really, you couldn't go wrong with any of these.

I'm going to give my standard answer to questions like this. Drive all 3 and see which one you like the best.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/14/13 5:27 p.m.

I'm going to cop out and say drive all three. You'll instantly click with one of them, and there's not a dog in that field.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
10/14/13 8:38 p.m.

Z. You'll feel better about playing with it than you will the MGA or the Alfa.

Flatspot
Flatspot New Reader
10/16/13 7:42 p.m.

Ho comprato l'Alfa. Aveva un effct immediato su di me. Io bevo solo caffè da piccole tazze. Ora sono irresistibili per le donne. Ho comprato un Speedo. La dolce vita.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/16/13 9:38 p.m.

Non credo che ve ne pentirete la vostra scelta. Ho un debole per l'italiano.

Flatspot
Flatspot New Reader
10/17/13 1:31 p.m.

Mille grazie. Returned the Speedo.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vhm4Zo1XxtUOr3YK2uev4ILXAeFPKRswuefrlK17nSs2ghcF8MI0nzBG0p06ZFQg