1 2
Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
6/9/11 7:46 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: A Spitfire on a rainy day just isn't fun.

Quite true. A couple of years ago, the NASS club did a group drive from Carlisle... started out cloudy and then turned black and evil looking. And then it started raining. Then it stopped raining and started pouring. Roads turned into rivers. I had the Spit 6 at the time and eventually gave up any dreams of staying dry.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/9/11 8:28 a.m.

I love racing in the wet. Only done it once, but figure it will be a fact of life in my climate zone.

Really teaches you how to feather the throttle and dance with the car.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
6/9/11 2:09 p.m.

My best DH racing finishes were in wet, crappy conditons. Less reliance on ballz-out speed and more on skill. Still got beat by thsoe who have both, but usually put me ahead of guys who would beat me in more ideal conditions.

That said, rain + glasses = miserable day of racing...

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/9/11 2:21 p.m.

http://124racer.com/gallery/Racing/10/Mont_Tremblant/slides/JN8N8800.html

Blow up the photo. Half my visor is fogged up.

The liner got wet and I was not able to clear my vision.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/10/11 12:04 p.m.

I have driven every car I have ever owned in the rain. Most cars have wipers right? Also Rain X is gods gift to driving classic cars in the rain.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
6/11/11 8:47 a.m.
rsmith wrote:
rconlon wrote: I do drive my Fiat when there is a threat of rain. A reliable prediction of a tornado, hail or snow would keep me in but I have been caught out in all weather since I go to a lot of weekend events. My most recent was last month and a flooding rain turned the city streets into rivers. Now it is over 102 degrees. Fortunately my cooling system copes well but there is no A/C and I bake. Cheers Ron
i learned my lesson the hard way and i will never drive again when there is too much rain. i don't my tr3 to get drown again because of flood. i dont wanna get towed again. grrrrrrrrh.

Hey,

Any British or Italian car can have drowning issues. On my X-19 I had to turn the headlights on and off twice before the engine would crank over in the rain.

With the British cars I always tried to keep all the wiring as new as possible & have been known to put plastic bags over the distributors.

All my TR-3s were fun to drive in the rain once I learned to add the AMCO side deflector & keep the rain off my face. And no worries about water puddling inside because there were always plenty of rust holes in the floor.

Rupert
Rupert New Reader
6/11/11 8:54 a.m.

In reply to VClassics:

You sound like the Brits! On weekends or holidays they all come out with the "hood" down rain or shine! I always consider driving a British Roadster about the same as sailing. You deal with the weather you have or you probably won't ever go out at all!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O9UTWcZQckM5rVkMXpb87McvIWhouQOxhkNaV83P6TALAsFnJpAHaF8RVXW5hcHa