TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
8/9/13 9:42 a.m.

I couldn't believe that anybody would pay $1.2 mill for any 911 no matter who owned it, but then read what has happened since. What was this guy thinking?

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42990&hilit=mcqueen

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
8/9/13 10:07 a.m.

Supposedly the Porsche factory refused to restore the car because it would remove the patino associated with it, so the owner paid these guys 400K Euros to restore it. So he now has a $2.5 mill 911 with no original Steve McQueen patino left in the car.

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/focus-heritage-porsche-classic?feat=oldlink

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/9/13 10:19 a.m.

What about the GT40?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191275/Bidder-shells-11-million-Steve-McQueens-Ford-racer-paid-American-car-auction.html

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
8/9/13 11:07 a.m.

I liked the guy as an actor but..........?

Obviously the McQueen ownership means something to some people, but in the case of the 911, all the guy has now is an immaculately restored 911 like any other. I loved the comment on the Porsche forum:

"First time I've heard of someone building a replica by using the real car as a donor!!"

Rupert
Rupert Reader
8/10/13 9:43 a.m.

Yes it's true! We in the US are famous for buying something of true long term value, then destroying it. I'm not saying a Porsche or almost any other car has long term value. But even cars with the correct history can hold their value for at least a few decades if not redone.

I'm mainly talking about buildings, waterfront properties, mountain chalets, scenic vistas, etc. You can drive for miles and miles along either the Atlantic or the Pacific coast and not see the beach or the water. What you do see is thousands of pink, blue, etc. privacy walls instead.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
8/11/13 8:52 a.m.

I would not wash steve mcqueen's underwear i would leave the stains as is and wear them while all the time maintaining a massive boner .

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
8/11/13 9:13 a.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/12/13 3:21 p.m.

What condition was the car in before it was bought? Are we talking not quite showroom new patina, or Mater levels of patina?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/12/13 3:26 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: What condition was the car in before it was bought? Are we talking not quite showroom new patina, or Mater levels of patina?

I saw the car last year before it went to auction. It was nearly perfect. I have no idea of how or why this new buyer would do what he did. It had already been refurbished for use IIRC.

Super wealthy people can be very strange in how they spend their money.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
8/13/13 8:12 a.m.

Now he has a car that was owned once by Steve McQueen and nothing else that he has $2.5 million into, or about $2.35 million more than you'd pay for any other similiar car on the market. I'm sure that car would not get nearly the same auction price now that he originally paid for it. Other than previous ownership, he's completely erased the McQeen patina.

As a friend of mine told me - if McQueen's sh*t stains were on the drivers seat, then you'd leave as is if you want to keep the value of the car.

JoeR
JoeR New Reader
8/13/13 8:16 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: {I don't care who you are, that's funny.} "First time I've heard of someone building a replica by using the real car as a donor!!"
Luke
Luke UberDork
8/14/13 12:20 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: I would not wash steve mcqueen's underwear i would leave the stains as is and wear them while all the time maintaining a massive boner .

Lol!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
8/14/13 7:36 a.m.

In one of the recent Pawn Stars episodes, Rick buys the Chevy convertible that Steve McQueen drove in his last movie role "The Hunter". It didn't translate ito mega bucks like I thoguht it would, but this amy all be phony bologna BS like much of the show.

I want to buy his Chevy camper that is going up for auction.

TAParker
TAParker New Reader
8/17/13 11:17 a.m.

It would be cool to own something that belonged to McQueen......

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
8/17/13 3:12 p.m.

This was McQueen's Formula Junior.

Ill save you guys the e mail. They are asking 750,000 US!

http://www.canepacollection.com/detail-1961-cooper-t56_mark_ii-formula_junior-used-9962777.html

Leo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3wsJX8STDtN3OE3bbuZXIgImYnTgfp3R52w1v2JCoXoM3OdM3VcjS8IIBVKA29lV