1 2
Series6
Series6 New Reader
11/6/09 10:39 a.m.

Lionel,

I'm confused. Did you get that from Amtrac or from the artist, or have it made?

Lionel
Lionel New Reader
11/10/09 6:19 a.m.

We have been on the Auto-Train over 20 times. We know a few Amtrak people. We are RailFans, riding all kinds of trains all over the country. I also collect "Lionel" trains. So beyond the large image of our cherished 'Beams, the train connection to me is a big deal. As I said, I was very very lucky to get it. There were very few of these banners made.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/10/09 6:58 a.m.
Lionel wrote: Tim, we appreciate your input, but again nothing worked. We made it "publicly viewable" on Yahoo. The, we cut & pasted the URL that came up on the picture. We were not allowed to copy the URL from the Properties right click of the picture. It still did not work. This is what we pasted http://www.flickr.com/photos/38493866@N04/4080323656/ Can you help?

That's not the url of the image. That's the url to the page the image is on.

This is the URL to the image itself: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/4080323656_d8f9d20cd8.jpg

And when I put it in the image tag:

Beautiful!

Series6
Series6 New Reader
11/10/09 10:50 a.m.

Lionel,

Very cool and unique.

Lionel
Lionel New Reader
11/10/09 6:45 p.m.

Tim, Thanks for the info.
Toy Trains & Cars are easy to fix , but PC problems are tough for some of us.

aqualla
aqualla None
5/13/10 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Lionel: Greetings All, I am new to the site. I thought I would share a little more insight to the Amtrak auto train poster. The designer is Michael Schwab in San Francisco. He is a very well known illustrator who also has done a National Parks series of illustrations.

The car in the poster is indeed a 1965 Mk1 Sunbeam Tiger. Michael had asked a friend of mine (Courtney Reeser) if he could use his car as a model for this particular project for Amtrak. Courtney, who owned the car for about ten years now agreed. I had lusted over Courtney's car for years, he finally sold it to me about three months ago.

I just spoke to him today about the poster because I also happen to be a big amtrak fan. He filled me in on the whole story, very interesting. I guess my car has a bit more history then I originally thought. Hope you enjoyed the insight. -David

Lionel
Lionel New Reader
5/30/10 7:40 a.m.

David, welcome to the fold of Tiger Owners. As I said, I bought mine in 1973 & it was my only car until the early eighties. After I posted the original note about how "I supposed" the poster came about, I did hear the story that you have told here. Whatever the reason, I am still shocked that of all the great cars on the planet, they picked ours. We travel on the Auto-Train twice a year roundtrip (not Snowbirds) & it always is nice to see that in addition to the huge posters in the Amtrak stations, every single rider of the train has his traveling-info inside a folder with that image on the front. Cool......

aqualla
aqualla New Reader
10/15/10 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Lionel: Sorry for the six month delay.... I take Amtrak for the pure fun of it at least once a year. The end of the month I will be headed to Chicago from Emeryville (SF) and fly back home, just for the ride through the Sierras and the Rockies.

As for why Michael picked the Tiger, I think Michael and Courtney are very good friends and the Tiger spoke to him for his concept for the autotrain Poster. I'm sure I can ask Courtney and get greater detail but it is kind of magic for it to be a Tiger! Two of my favorite rides. Cheers. Dk

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SvlgYTxIbeyKohmI7MQILcgYG18IpswVQgQm4B0k75AMcnwnRBcAdNunXGu9dyv5