LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
5/13/12 11:09 a.m.

So I'm thinking of trying a restoration project. While I have been Autocrossing and doing my own simple maintenance for a few years, this will be my first foray into bodywork and whatnot.

My thinking was to get an older sportscar, but then I started thinking if I got a vintage truck ('50s/'60's), it'd be way cool and maybe I could use it for simple towing (autocross Miata) and hauling (Lowe's trips, firewood, etc). As such, I wouldn't even try to make it perfect, just functional and maybe a little 'rat rod'.

Am I asking for trouble? Should I be worried about using such an old vehicle for towing? Brakes definitely in need of an upgrade? Need an engine/trans swap?

How soon will I hate a utility vehicle without A/C after a long day at the autocross or track day?

Example

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
5/13/12 11:54 a.m.

I'm actually planning the same thing for "Project Next."

Pick the truck you really really WANT. Then find websites and forums that deal with that truck specifically. After a while of lurking, you will get to see all the problem areas, where to look, what you're getting yourself into.

My heart is set on a 64-66 Chevy, and there is PLENTY of EVERYTHING, including brake upgrades, A/C, air-ride, and whatever. The cool thing about an old truck, is you can get pretty much e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g with just a phone call and a Visa.

Plus, if these trucks have lasted 50 to 60 years, with today's coatings and sealants and rust-preventatives, they can last another 50 to 60 years.

I say go for it. I'm going to.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
5/13/12 12:12 p.m.

What forums/websites have you been using? I've mostly been checking out ebaymotors and Wikipedia just trying to learn about what I want.

dougie
dougie Reader
5/13/12 4:54 p.m.

I've been thinking about a similar project for years. A mid-50's panel that I could used as a tow rig and keep all my pit & track support gear stored in. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Ford-Panel-Truck-V-8-California-Car-Rust-Free-/251058804025?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a74455539#ht_26644wt_1282

I think my vintage race Healey would look great behind it.....I just have to convince my wife she could get more flowers for the garden in it then currently with the X5. So far it's been a tuff sell....

Dougie

DSC09465

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
5/13/12 5:17 p.m.

This is the link I'm using the most, as it's catering to exactly what I'm after. There are other sections on their forum (despite saying "67-72", this link goes to the "60-66" section):

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/14/12 5:53 a.m.

I had a 1952 Dodge B3C-116 truck. (B3C = B cab, one ton, long box; 116 = wheelbase)

Flathead six, 6V electonics and 4.78 : 1 gears. 40 mph was comfy, 45 was wheeling, 50 was screaming.

I got broadsided by an old man that ran a light and it got pretty messed up. I bought a 1987 Dodge 3/4 ton and put my '52 body on on the '87 frame.

HEAT! 12V, power steering, 360, 727, never did get around to putting a radio in it. I cut the '87 speedo face to fit inside the '52 chrome and glass.

This was my first "major" project. I almost threw in the towel a few times until a buddy came over and looked at it. He's a body man. Do one part at a time. One fender, bang, prime, seal, set it aside. Done. I was out there everynight after work doing the whole truck and making no headway.

My truck was pretty straight and rust free when I got it, my only suggestion would be to find the cleanest examply you can. Chasing rust sucks.

Dan

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
5/14/12 10:11 a.m.

Funny this thread should pop up, as I'd been thinking of starting a classic trucks thread myself. Here's the '72 Chevy I picked up a few weeks ago:

I haven't tried towing anything with it, but I have no worries about the drivetrain holding up. Brakes aren't too bad either - this truck has power everything. Other than cold start difficulties, it drives almost like a modern truck; the biggest difference is the Spartan interior. It originally had A/C but it got ripped out at some point.

The first mod I put in it? Three point seat belts. Don't like the idea of getting a mouth full of steering wheel in a crash. Wasn't too hard to make a universal set fit.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
5/15/12 6:28 p.m.

Old trucks are great since they are simple.

If you are smart, you will spend the money up front and buy a finished project. If you must take something all to bits, it will still be cheaper to take apart the finished vehicle and re-assemble to your specifications that it would be to engineer and assemble/finance your own vision.

Unless your really have a compelling urge to learn metal-craft, don't mess with rust. You will not do a great job the first time, and since you won't be doing it again, whats the point?

If it has to look good when done, paint can be a hearbreak when you find out what it cost. Unless you do the tractor paint and DIY spray job, it gets stupid expensive real fast.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
5/16/12 9:34 a.m.

NOHOME,

I discovered years ago it is sooo much easier and cheaper to buy a completed project which someone else bled on, worried about, and as soon as it was sold, lost money on. How did I discover that? I was the guy who bled, worried, & took a bath selling every restoration I ever did.

There are too many nice rides in every category that someone else has already taken a bath on. Pick the one closest to what you really want and needing the least done. At least then you will actually drive it.

If you do all that work yourself, you'll probably freak out every time someone comes near you while you are in it. Net result, it stays under a cover till you sell it at a loss.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
5/18/12 8:58 p.m.

Rupert, I hear you, this would be my plan. I guess what I meant by p "restoration project" was more that I do mind if it's a little rough as I don't mind working on it some.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
5/21/12 6:20 a.m.

My tow vehicle is a 1965 F100. I bought a very solid "5 footer" down south and brought it back to my place in PA. It's shiny enough most people think it's nice, and has enough patina on it I don't worry when it gets a scratch.

Living with one really isn't that bad. When you get into the 1960s trucks they become more modern than the old fat fender trucks of the 1950s. Though a/c would be nice, I can't say I miss it with vent windows and the 'ankle cooler' vents. It's roomy, well built, simple and easy to work on and 90% of the parts to keep it going are easy to get. My truck is a huge hit at every race I go to. Disc brakes are a junkyard/bolt-on affair, so with the trailer brakes it's reasonably safe. Handling is not as great, and the lack of power steering sucks for parking the trailer, but I'm willing to live with the negatives.

Do your homework, figure out which truck you like and most easily will suit your needs and join the appropriate forum. It's a great place to find trucks for sale too. I've found the vintage truck community one of the most helpful of all the vehicles I've messed with.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/21/12 1:15 p.m.

It depends on your definition of "vintage" and "project". My '95 Cummins has developed so much rust that it will get pushed ahead of my 1800ES as my first "restoration project" that I teach myself to weld on and paint. My truck has a radio and a/c, but both are not functioning and need to be fixed. The steering in my Cummins is bad enough with power steering...

I also agree with finding a truck you like. If I'd had my preference, I would have bought a late 70's Ford. You can still find them cheap and parts are readily available, so you can do a driver-quality restoration without be hugely upside down vs. value. They are at the tail-end of the pre-emissions age, so many are not-catylist with minimal emissions controls. They are modern enough to be comfortable, but classic enough for a nice one to catch attention. If you are willing to go a little bit "modern" with one, you can drop in a 351W EFI crate motor and it'll be somewhat efficient (my '78 4x4 with a 351M 4 spd got 10 mpg on a good day).

rafaelsmall94
rafaelsmall94 New Reader
11/6/12 1:15 a.m.

I will say that the idea is great to do a restoration work, it will give you some peace of your mind not neglecting the fact that you will be creating something out of your imagination. I own a truck auction company and restoration is the bigger part of my job here. Go ahead and let your creativity flow.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/6/12 10:17 a.m.

Creativity or sickness?

'72 E-250 with ramps out back to haul a LBC Auto-Xer.

rafaelsmall94
rafaelsmall94 New Reader
11/6/12 11:57 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Creativity or sickness? '72 E-250 with ramps out back to haul a LBC Auto-Xer.

914Driver, yeah you read between the lines. Gotcha you ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WSGYwaA7gleadJlVbeuzfFsTqYQGX67Fqsv5yTiyNLeSXAwp52j5UcBizQtMS15Q