BTerj
BTerj New Reader
3/7/14 10:14 p.m.

A friends mom has the Cav. The radio plays after the ignition is turned off but doesn't turn off when the door is opened and then slowly drains the battery. The radio also displays "ERR" on it's screen. Anyone with any ideas of what the problem could be?

Thanks Brian

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/7/14 10:32 p.m.

Could be a bad door switch, but I didn't think Cavaliers ever had that setup where the radio is kept on till you leave the vehicle.

Is it a factory radio? You could get the pinout of the connector and see if its actually getting 12 volts on the main power line with the key off and door open, or if its just really screwed up and running on the key off power that's only supposed to maintain the clock and channel memory.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
3/7/14 10:44 p.m.

Worn ignition switch not turning off all the way before the key is removed? Common problem if it has the old-style GM ignition lock.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
3/7/14 10:46 p.m.

I don know what it could be but I do my wife's old cavalier did play the radio until you opened the door.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
3/8/14 1:30 p.m.

something wonky in the body control module (i hate the concept of body control modules..). does the dome light come on when you turn the key off, and does it shut off within a reasonable amount of time after getting out and shutting the door?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mZmSyV6u0lpk5Vb7MEI0bIr6YdWx09zl6jMxWDRgkzCbTxZRENLSUSSuzNKiYWt0