MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
7/20/16 8:38 a.m.

Anyone know anything about these? Should they be avoided like the plague?

Per the owner it has the 2.2 10v 5 cylinder which per Google is non-interference so if the belt needs to be done and goes bad I wouldn't have to worry about parts smashing each other.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
7/20/16 9:01 a.m.

Almost indestructible drivetrain in that. Everything else, well, not so much. Many parts are NLA and electronics from that era are especially suspect...

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
7/20/16 9:01 a.m.

I have know technical knowledge of the car. But I think the answer is you should buy it.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
7/20/16 10:27 a.m.

Please be more specific about which model and any issues. The drive train is extremely strong as are the main electrics (starter, alternator). Hold up well to rust, for a car from that era. Electrical ghosts can be an issue. I used to have a 5ktqa sleeper. ~250bhp, koni sports, upgraded brakes and suspension and fuchs wheels from a UrQ. wicked car.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
7/20/16 11:51 a.m.
markwemple wrote: Please be more specific about which model and any issues. The drive train is extremely strong as are the main electrics (starter, alternator). Hold up well to rust, for a car from that era. Electrical ghosts can be an issue. I used to have a 5ktqa sleeper. ~250bhp, koni sports, upgraded brakes and suspension and fuchs wheels from a UrQ. wicked car.

It's a Quattro 80. Missing the exhaust (except for headers). He also stated that once you get above 60 there is a vibration in the front.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
7/20/16 1:20 p.m.

Those have a 10V NA (Not turbo!) motor from the factory, unless someone swapped the 10V Turbo motor into it.

Very stout motor, total dog performance wise.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/20/16 1:46 p.m.

Buddy in high school had a manual one of these in non turbo form. Maybe it was a 1000? Anyways.. He would dump the clutch and floor it EVERYWHERE. Except it was so slow it barely went faster than normal traffic.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
7/20/16 1:58 p.m.

Oh, yeah. They were slowslowslowslow. Made a 240 Volvo with the European/Canadian B23E seem really, really fast.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/20/16 3:20 p.m.

Is there any motor swap man that can be done that aren't Audi? (Hate German engineering) rotary? My god, can you imagine?!?!?

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
7/20/16 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Eh, I'd stick a 20V turbo in it and be done.

Audi General Lee

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/20/16 4:07 p.m.

That was cool.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
7/21/16 2:06 p.m.

Minor correction but it would be a 2.3L engine.

130 Hp - 3000lbs dry weight

Not going to win many drag races.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z0Un2j0Ul2LIhggJNm437OukHKy3Q9jmrNtfSkFxGvO4CgLQ3M1DvWLQ4D7LhIWD