dollraves
dollraves New Reader
10/4/10 7:56 a.m.

I promise not to bring a GTX next year. :D

Gimp
Gimp Dork
10/4/10 7:59 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: I got the 5.7 for $0. I swiped it from work, swapped in a newer one, with a rod knocking before the JY came back for it. So far only $30 into it so far, new rod bearings straight from the dealer. Not to mention the brand new 5.7 LX intake for $0, it's broken. Three Hemi engine swaps worth of various gaskets for $0. 5.7 starter for $0. Couple of PCM's and wiring for $0. $60 for a SFI flexplate, mates a 727/904 easier, if I decide to go that way. Might try to find a 46RE and use that for some OD/LU abuse on the strip. Just need to figure out engine mounting, exhaust, and some other things into the budget. Brian
so whats the ruling on parts stolen from work being budgeted at $0? there are rumors, maybe alcohol fueled, that team ziptie racing could be expanding to a cleveland chapter, and that said team might show up with one of 3 possible vehicles ranging from a really old truck to an e30. there was much consumption and discussion the last two nights so i'm not quite sure what is in the works.

I seem to recall similar conversations.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/4/10 8:28 a.m.

I'll be there or bust in my what-was-to-be-$2010-car. I told the SO that we're keeping the calender open come hell or high water.

I will probably bring a spare transmission, because it's pretty likely that the one that's in there won't hold up to the setup i scored on Friday.

(Can we say 25psi plus a 125 hit?)

Someone has to show you nutjobs what a "normal" car can do.

Raze
Raze Dork
10/4/10 8:32 a.m.

As long as it's not on Petit weekend I'll make my challenge debut in:

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/4/10 8:43 a.m.

Now that my team has gotten old enough to participate, I will once again be looking to put together a team of home schooled students.

The car and donor are both already in my yard. You will KNOW we are students.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/4/10 8:45 a.m.

I'll keep plugging away at my individual build as well. It's pretty far along, but the most radical build I've ever done, and I simply have to approach it with patience. If they both make it, great, if not, the 2nd will be the following year.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/4/10 9:17 a.m.
914Driver wrote: I was going to ask about FMV for stolen goods ....

when youre in the slammer, dont they give you a "job" like stamping license plates or washing laundry for like 7 cents a day or something? thats a pretty easy way to calculate the cost of stolen goods...now lets see, whats $0.07 x 5-10 years...well 3 with good behav...wait these are GRMers...ok $.07/day x 12 years (2 extra for starting a prison riot over the Miata vs MR2 debate) =$306...sounds pretty fair for a used and "borrowed" Hemi...

minimac
minimac SuperDork
10/4/10 9:33 a.m.
914Driver wrote: My son gets married Challenge weekend, wifey says I have to go. If I don't change my mind 100 times or hit the Lottery, I'll be bringing this for $2012. Dan

I 'd be willing to give it a "shakedown" @2011!

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
10/4/10 10:06 a.m.
sanyarcosean wrote:
VWguyBruce wrote: I'm currently in negotiations for this: It's time to get back to my roots and stop building Jetta's.
DARE YOU!!!!

Trust me Sean, I'll do it. The potential new owners are coming this afternoon to look at the Jetta. Much of the hard work is done on the car, paint, mechanicals, needs motor and some assembly required. The trick will be to get a 1914 built within the budget. It's time someone brought a 12 second aircooled VW.

The rear wheels:

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
10/4/10 10:15 a.m.

I'll be bringing my Firebird that was intended for 2010, unless I find something lighter and better to stick the drivetrain in really cheap.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/4/10 11:00 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote:
sanyarcosean wrote:
VWguyBruce wrote: I'm currently in negotiations for this: It's time to get back to my roots and stop building Jetta's.
DARE YOU!!!!
Trust me Sean, I'll do it. The potential new owners are coming this afternoon to look at the Jetta. Much of the hard work is done on the car, paint, mechanicals, needs motor and some assembly required. The trick will be to get a 1914 built within the budget. It's time someone brought a 12 second aircooled VW. The rear wheels:

Ive got a set of 15x10s up here just doing nothing if you need some more wide wheels :)

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/4/10 11:31 a.m.
minimac wrote:
914Driver wrote: My son gets married Challenge weekend, wifey says I have to go. If I don't change my mind 100 times or hit the Lottery, I'll be bringing this for $2012. Dan
I 'd be willing to give it a "shakedown" @2011!

If you were closer I would let you tune up your welding skills.

Dan

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
10/4/10 3:05 p.m.

There is a really cheap 82' volvo we have that would work really well with a 5.0L + T5 swap. We know we can easily get the budget to be under $2k, have over 300whp (not including nawwwwz) and nice sway bars/panhard/konis/springs.

We may be there if my other project doesn't get rolling soon.

Debbie Brozyna
Debbie Brozyna Assistant to the Publisher
10/4/10 3:43 p.m.

FYI....

The $2011 Challenge is on the calendar for October 6 - 9.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
10/4/10 5:25 p.m.

http://www.michelinalley.com/?p=2616

petit lemans oct 15th

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/4/10 5:38 p.m.

Maybe im blind but is the $2011 date up anywhere??

This is about the time last year when i found out i would NOT be attending $2010.. Hopefully its not on the same weekend in $2011.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
10/4/10 5:40 p.m.
Debbie Brozyna wrote: FYI.... The $2011 Challenge is on the calendar for October 6 - 9.
AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/4/10 6:10 p.m.

I bought another D16z6 on the ride back to Canada for $20 and will be pulling my old motor tomorrow

3 guys from canada

maddabe
maddabe New Reader
10/4/10 8:40 p.m.

What would FMV be for a decent TR3 roller? I'm thinking Miata engine/trans.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
10/4/10 8:46 p.m.

$1000 or so I would imagine. Depends how decent you are talking.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
10/4/10 10:17 p.m.

team gutty will actually finish the 2010 car for 2011.

its going to be a honda. surprise surprise.

it will be there. BUMMED we didnt get there this year. we got the hard stuff done, got the parts, and got busy/broke.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/5/10 3:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: So, is it too early to start discussing next year's builds?

What do people want to see?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/5/10 5:19 a.m.

So, I'm considering going up against Uranus. I home I'm the one doing the pounding, and not the clown. I plan on starting soon so I can see if I'm a match for Uranus or if I'm gonna fizzle out like so many others.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
10/5/10 10:31 a.m.

TP car?

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/5/10 10:40 a.m.
wheels777 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: So, is it too early to start discussing next year's builds?
What do people want to see?

A 1:1 engine to wheel ratio.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NfR0xNlYYd2hhncpBnkttrC7aFhEmTG7NuZYEFmguIFqwSmEMhzFCBXyqwjc79WG