5 6 7 8 9
sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
10/10/10 7:16 a.m.

Really missed the event the last two years,so I am working on a plan to get me back in 2011 with a competitive car. Guess its time to get the band back together!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
10/10/10 8:22 a.m.

In reply to sanyarcosean:

or buy the V8 CRX from Denny...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
10/10/10 9:33 a.m.

My girlfriend's trying to convince me to take my ugly but mechanically solid daily driver 91 Sentra SE-R. It's bone stock, won't be competitive, but the Challenge is fun, and this could be a "real world" example of what you can do for under $2011. (And yes, my gf is awesome for encouraging this. )

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/10/10 10:19 a.m.

Im really starting to get the urge to dump an S-10, Nissan Hardbody, Tacoma or B2200 down several inches, insert the Explorer rear end mentioned in the jeep thread, add some suspension bits, squirt/spray/spool....hmmm

theres a bunch of S10 rollers out my way for nothing, and EFI options are abundant. The wife likes that its not an 80s import, and the F.I.L has offered garage space. maybe after the holidays, I can really take a look at budget options.

Another overlooked vehicle (IMHO) is the last generation of Z24 cavalier - SWMBO had one when we met - it was pretty damn quick and handled well enough. It wouldnt take too much to wake one up and make it stick.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/10/10 10:34 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: My girlfriend's trying to convince me to take my ugly but mechanically solid daily driver 91 Sentra SE-R. It's bone stock, won't be competitive, but the Challenge is fun, and this could be a "real world" example of what you can do for under $2011. (And yes, my gf is awesome for encouraging this. )

Careful of your phrasing there. "Real world" examples abound at the challenge. Being a base level mechanic and a good/patient shopper can build quite a competent challenge car. Fabrication skills are not necessary.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/10/10 11:14 a.m.
wheels777 wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: Best double whammy, I broke the truck then broke the tow van on the way home?
Wow! Glad your home.

Or, perhaps better worded, "Wow! Glad you're not on the road anymore!" Just what kind of menace are you, Steve?

Seriously, glad you are safe.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
10/10/10 5:21 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to sanyarcosean: or buy the V8 CRX from Denny...

Does Denny Still have that thing?? That would make someone an awesome toy!!!

Marty!
Marty! Dork
10/10/10 5:35 p.m.

By any chance will the 2011 rules be posted soon? I know lat year Per posted revised rules pretty quick after the '09 Challenge. Any major revisions this year?

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
10/10/10 6:19 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Careful of your phrasing there. "Real world" examples abound at the challenge. Being a base level mechanic and a good/patient shopper can build quite a competent challenge car. Fabrication skills are not necessary.

This is true. I was part of the team that ran a Saturn SL2 at the $2004 Challenge. We tossed a few bolt-ons at it, stripped the interior, and placed in the top half - beyond our wildest expectations. By "real world," I mean a cheap race car that can also serve as a daily driver, as my SE-R does. I wouldn't want the noise or sharp metal edges of the interior of that Challenge Saturn every day.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/10/10 6:26 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Careful of your phrasing there. "Real world" examples abound at the challenge. Being a base level mechanic and a good/patient shopper can build quite a competent challenge car. Fabrication skills are not necessary.
This is true. I was part of the team that ran a Saturn SL2 at the $2004 Challenge. We tossed a few bolt-ons at it, stripped the interior, and placed in the top half - beyond our wildest expectations. By "real world," I mean a cheap race car that can also serve as a daily driver, as my SE-R does. I wouldn't want the noise or sharp metal edges of the interior of that Challenge Saturn every day.

Understood.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
10/10/10 8:26 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: bigwheel loop motel

Does anyone besides me have visions of a gixxer cart inspired big wheel at the hotel next year when reading this?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/10/10 9:20 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
Does anyone besides me have visions of a gixxer cart inspired big wheel at the hotel next year when reading this?

Have random Zx6 motor and a couple of spare powerwheels just sitting here.

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
10/10/10 9:53 p.m.

I just got back on Saturday night, no problems just visiting with the relations and checking out what they have in their garage. Since my wife forgot to pack the power cord on the lap top. It took me half the night and most of today to go through the 400+ e mails and related junk that built up for the last 2 weeks.

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
10/10/10 9:54 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

For the last 4 years my challenge cars have been Saturns and daily drivers, the SC1 that I ran still is a daily driver.

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
10/10/10 10:57 p.m.

First week of the Month? It looks like Ill finally be able to make it! In preperation Ive bought back Harold:

So far about 1 hour into challenge planning Ive collected an SRT4 turbo from upstairs ($100 FMV) and a $50 smokey SRT4 internaled 2.4 short block $661 left to make it all work

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
10/10/10 11:05 p.m.

FIXED! hope everyone gets as big a kick out of it as we did coming up with it.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
10/10/10 11:05 p.m.

cycle karts!

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
10/10/10 11:08 p.m.

In reply to wrenchedexcess:

I came THIS CLOSE ][ to bringing my daily Miata as a challenger, broke down twice on the trip across town, AFTER we beat the dog snot out of it at a track day out there at the test track with no problems what so ever.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
10/10/10 11:16 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Spinout007 wrote:
Have random Zx6 motor and a couple of spare powerwheels just sitting here.

Yeah, I was thinking about those when I posted that, I just don't want to be responsible for the first death at the challenge. Engine mounted over the rear solid axle, chain from trans, to sprocket on axle, twist grip throttle, paddle shifted, left hand clutch, big wheel out front, solid footpegs on the front axle, and disc brakes out front..... could get ugly really quick in the parking lot of the hotel.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/11/10 7:49 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote:

With careful planning- it's not impossible to do that. Especailly with the right start on GRM's most common answer. The hard part is sourcing the parts for cheap- but knowing that circle track drivers use cheap parts can come in handy.

And for "the Answer"- you can choose which parts to unbolt.

I would suggest looking for a '94. ;)

The problem arises when you don't like "the Answer" - so it takes a little searching for an alternative that's cool enough but daily driver enough, too.

I'm just still a little cool on the Challenge, in spite of my posts on other threads.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
10/11/10 8:16 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: My girlfriend's trying to convince me to take my ugly but mechanically solid daily driver 91 Sentra SE-R. It's bone stock, won't be competitive, but the Challenge is fun, and this could be a "real world" example of what you can do for under $2011. (And yes, my gf is awesome for encouraging this. )

Do this. Really, do it.

I showed up for three years with my rallycross-turned-daily driver. I can guarantee that it's worth it - meet great people, see amazing cars, fill head with ideas for next year. :D

This year I built my first Challenge car. Was it in any way interesting to the judges or competitive on the ax/drag? No. But one day, something I build will be.

Get car. Get there. Get inspired.

-doll

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/11/10 9:07 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Im really starting to get the urge to dump an S-10, Nissan Hardbody, Tacoma or B2200 down several inches, insert the Explorer rear end mentioned in the jeep thread, add some suspension bits, squirt/spray/spool....hmmm theres a bunch of S10 rollers out my way for nothing, and EFI options are abundant. The wife likes that its not an 80s import, and the F.I.L has offered garage space. maybe after the holidays, I can really take a look at budget options. Another overlooked vehicle (IMHO) is the last generation of Z24 cavalier - SWMBO had one when we met - it was pretty damn quick and handled well enough. It wouldnt take too much to wake one up and make it stick.

Start with a B2200. Insert F2T. Lower. PROFIT.

The Japanese equivalent of a 2.3T Ranger.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
10/11/10 9:08 a.m.

In reply to BoneYard_Racing:

Finally, your life's goal has been realized.

Why do I think this means another broken Neon at autocrosses?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/11/10 9:11 a.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote:

The car i was planning on bringing to $2010 is my DD. I will be bringing it to $2011, come hell or high water. I'll make that extra $1 count, too.

There are no pointy edges, has a full (and EXTREMELY comfy) interior, and i'm in the middle of wasting some budget for stereo. I drove it 170 miles yesterday to an autox, and the previous weekend i put over 250 miles on it. Pulled down 30mpg cruising at 80mph on the highway in comfort.

Despite the initial pain in the ass-edness that this thing gave me, it's been the best investment i've ever made.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/11/10 9:48 a.m.

Can I make a suggestion?

If you plan on running a DD for the challenge, focus on two things:

1) Make the car as clean as possible. you will not win any innovation awards for your DD, but you will also not be killed by having a butt ugly car. If you have paint problems, read Per's articles WRT the Alfa- he did remarkable work with a spray bomb. Spend two weekends detailing the car to be cleaner than new. (and you'll enjoy sitting in it on your drive to work).

2) spend next summer autocrossing it, and making it as quick as possible for that. Whatever it takes- if you have budget for basic upgrades, including tires, just focus on a TIGHT and easy to drive autocross car.

If you do that, you WILL place in the top 20. Maybe even top 10. Check the scores- a good autocross time + a clean car will do very, very well. +13thbillion to the pride in knowing you can drive the car back home and to work.

IMHO, most challenge cars lack focus and development. Starting with a good DD and focusing on two of the 3 items will get you a good score.

Eric

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UVaFX8neG9qIGiO5F6pCCKBGymqm8jkp8b6rdwc9c4bLDwd2eF6HTdrZkX9YPkKl