1 2 3
confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/15/14 7:25 p.m.

A quick search didn't bring anything back about this, but I'm sorry if I'm reposting. Have you guys seen the Chevrolet webpage about the new Z06? http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-z06-supercar.html

That car is going to be amazing. It'll get a supercharger and at least 625 horsepower (I bet it's slightly more than 640). I bet that car sounds pretty nice running through the gears on the long straight at Summit Point. :) It'll even record your track outings for you, complete with telemetry. (...and upload them right to GM's warranty division? hah, kidding.)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/15/14 11:22 p.m.

For me, the only remaining asterisk for the C7 is the lack of a proper twin-clutch sequential trans like all its friends has. If you want to make a big deal about how much of a weapon you have produced for the racetrack, you put on those pieces that make it go faster around a racetrack—especially when your competition has been doing it for years.

The 8 speed is a surprisingly good manumatic, but a true sequential paddle box would turn this car into a monster.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/16/14 6:04 a.m.

Stop giving GM reasons to get rid of our clutch pedal. The Vette is already one of the last super cars that has a proper transmission! A self driving car would probably be faster around the track too, but what's the fun in that?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/16/14 6:56 a.m.

JG, I am pretty sure -not- developing that transmission is what's kept the Corvette and Camaro very competitive on pricing.

Note that some other useless rag just tested some heavy hitting dual-clutch-having machinery against the Camaro Z/28 with it's ye ole manual transmission and it kicked butt, so in the hands of the right driver there is not an immediately apparent advantage.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/16/14 7:15 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: JG, I am pretty sure -not- developing that transmission is what's kept the Corvette and Camaro very competitive on pricing. Note that some other useless rag just tested some heavy hitting dual-clutch-having machinery against the Camaro Z/28 with it's ye ole manual transmission and it kicked butt, so in the hands of the right driver there is not an immediately apparent advantage.

This sounds like a test between two different cars, which obviously is not a valid test for the transmission setup.

DCT's ARE faster, period. Complain about the lack of engagement, personal preference, whatever. But if you take two identically setup cars, the same driver, the same track and put a real manual in one car and good DCT in the other. The DCT is faster.

I'm with JG on this one.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
4/16/14 7:29 a.m.

Are you with having to pay the 10-15k premium for the dgt? I'm not.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/16/14 7:35 a.m.

The Corvette team developed a new DSG, but it was swallowed up by a sinkhole.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/16/14 7:42 a.m.

I'd be fine with a sequential manual, dog clutch jobber with straight cut gears would be swell. The EMCO box out of the Corvette Daytona prototype is pretty sweet.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/16/14 7:42 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Are you with having to pay the 10-15k premium for the dgt? I'm not.

Where does $10-15K for duel clutch come from. There are plenty of affordable cars with duel clutch trans that don't cost an extra $10-15k. Look at the VW Audi lineup for starters.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 7:48 a.m.

I think GM could develop a DCT without increasing the prices on all Corvettes and offer it as an option without phasing out the H-pattern manual. I don't think that many of them would sell though, considering that most Corvettes become garage queens rather than track weapons, and even then, probably more than half of the track weapon guys would choose the H-pattern.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/16/14 8:12 a.m.

15.5"/15.3" Carbon ceramic brakes?!?! That's pretty big.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/16/14 8:15 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I think GM could develop a DCT without increasing the prices on all Corvettes and offer it as an option without phasing out the H-pattern manual. I don't think that many of them would sell though, considering that most Corvettes become garage queens rather than track weapons, and even then, probably more than half of the track weapon guys would choose the H-pattern.

At my local track there typically almost as many Corvettes as there are Miatas.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/16/14 8:23 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: I think GM could develop a DCT without increasing the prices on all Corvettes and offer it as an option without phasing out the H-pattern manual. I don't think that many of them would sell though, considering that most Corvettes become garage queens rather than track weapons, and even then, probably more than half of the track weapon guys would choose the H-pattern.

And for every one of those, there are probably 3 just cruising around after spending a week in a garage being waxed

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/16/14 8:36 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
And for every one of those, there are probably 3 just cruising around after spending a week in a garage being waxed

Same as about any other sports car.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
4/16/14 9:53 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

3?? Try 25

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/16/14 10:44 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Are you with having to pay the 10-15k premium for the dgt? I'm not.

In the Z06, which is supposed to be the ultimate version of the ultimate car? Sure. In the base model, probably not.

Not that I can afford either, or course.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
4/16/14 12:19 p.m.

Happy to see that there is finally a removable roof for the Z06 as that was a deal breaker for me. Nothing like being able to run around with the roof stowed in the trunk on a nice day.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/16/14 12:56 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: 3?? Try 25

Miata or Corvette, either way I bet its hundreds and hundreds to one

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/16/14 1:19 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

The smarter thing would have been to develop the DCT/SMG instead of developing the 8sp auto.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
4/16/14 1:41 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: The smarter thing would have been to develop the DCT/SMG instead of developing the 8sp auto.

I bet the internals of that 8 speed auto will be going into most of the full-sized trucks/SUVs in the next year or two.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/16/14 1:47 p.m.

That is a sexy looking thing.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
4/16/14 2:00 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Where does $10-15K for duel clutch come from. There are plenty of affordable cars with duel clutch trans that don't cost an extra $10-15k. Look at the VW Audi lineup for starters.

That is amortized over many many cars. Same with Ford.

The Corvette has a unique transmission layout where they cannot get realistic economy of scale.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/16/14 2:06 p.m.

While I love that they make this......it really is a silly car. Heck, the C6 Z06's 505 hp was ridiculous overkill for the street. You'd have to be a serious asshat to come anywhere close to that car's limits on public roads.

So you'll just have to take it to the track to exploit it's capabilities then........ so what are YOUR capabilities? When driving a 505hp car on track, things happen very, very quickly. Although modern Corvettes are incredibly easy to drive fast-- and have nanny systems that will keep all but the most hamfisted drivers out of trouble-- you'd better be on your game if you turn the traction /stability overlords off. The C6 Z06 had capabilities far far beyond the abilities of most drivers---- I know it's limits are beyond mine, and I'm hardly a newbie to performance driving.

This new car will amp it up even further. It's a great halo car, but as a real performance machine, it's silly overkill, as are most "supercars" these days. As a toy for Dario Franchitti, now that he's retired.....sure that makes sense. For most of us? Nahhh......it's just a manhood augmentation.

Not that I don't like it.......it just doesn't make much sense for 99.9% of the folks who will buy it. A base Corvette makes more sense.....as does an Elise, Miata, or anything else that can be exploited without achieving warp speeds.

just my buzzkill .02

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/16/14 2:33 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: The smarter thing would have been to develop the DCT/SMG instead of developing the 8sp auto.
I bet the internals of that 8 speed auto will be going into most of the full-sized trucks/SUVs in the next year or two.

That is a very valid point

The biggest question to ask here is "Why have the ZR1 and Z06 merged together?"

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
4/16/14 2:42 p.m.

I have to agree with Joe. I'm on the track with C6 Z06's alot and in the hands of an experienced driver they're stupidly fast. I can only imagine what one with ZR1 type of power will do.

Honestly, for those of us who like to take ours cars to the track, a properly equipped base C7 is the way to go. The C7 Z06 will just be too much to handle for 99.99% of us.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pxeMoGsg0hfRLiBFDWIM3NavPMddz59Y2m0MkOAYzXvj6TdTKjkcNAV2taPavZ4Z