8 9 10 11 12
Will
Will Dork
12/5/13 3:29 p.m.

Anyone else surprised that the turbo four and the V6 are so close in terms of power? I have nothing against either engine, and I'm sure the turbo can get a ton of power with mods, but from a purely marketing standpoint, I'm surprised they released 2 engines that on paper make similar power.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/5/13 3:30 p.m.
plance1 wrote: Alright, enough already. Lets talk about what's important. No, not interior plastics...tail lights! Yes, tail lights! Anyone notice that the tailights on the car and driver mustang that came about a month ago have that goofy uptick angle and these ones are straight across?

You mean the 'spy shots' and 'exclusives' weren’t accurate. The shock, the horror, people had to wait until the official pictures to see the real car!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/5/13 3:32 p.m.
Will wrote: Anyone else surprised that the turbo four and the V6 are so close in terms of power? I have nothing against either engine, and I'm sure the turbo can get a ton of power with mods, but from a purely marketing standpoint, I'm surprised they released 2 engines that on paper make similar power.

Official power and torque figures haven't been announced yet and the two engines can/could have very very different power deliveries and torque curves to give different driving experiences. Also remember that the rest of the world only gets the I4 and V8

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/5/13 4:28 p.m.

Curious what kinda MPG the V8 will get with 420hp on tap.

The new Vette is supposed get 30mpg highway.

The Turbo 4 should get 34, but no mention yet of the V8.

The current GT gets 17/24.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/5/13 4:38 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Curious what kinda MPG the V8 will get with 420hp on tap. The new Vette is supposed get 30mpg highway. The Turbo 4 should get 34, but no mention yet of the V8. The current GT gets 17/24.

Just remember the frontal area of the new Vette is very small and the EPA is 29 mpg.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
12/5/13 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Will:

I don't find it surprising at all. Ecoboost marketing isn't about advertising more power/performance, it's about advertising the similar power/performance to the equivalent naturally aspirated engine with both fewer cylinders and higher EPA fuel economy ratings.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
12/5/13 5:47 p.m.

outside looks pretty good - some changes from the last one that I also thought looked good.

I really hate everything about the dash/steering wheel/gauges, though. Looks like someone just got a bunch of aftermarket stuff from Summit Racing and built a dash out of it, and threw in some carbon fiber for the hell of it. The steering wheel is ugly as sin too.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/5/13 5:58 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Curious what kinda MPG the V8 will get with 420hp on tap. The new Vette is supposed get 30mpg highway. The Turbo 4 should get 34, but no mention yet of the V8. The current GT gets 17/24.

The old GT with 200 more lbs and the normal rear gears was rated at 19/26.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/5/13 6:19 p.m.

Great looking car and a fine update that is both more modern looking than the outgoing car yet ties into the fist generation styling more naturally. I like what Ford is doing allot.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/5/13 6:22 p.m.

200lbs lighter? possibly more power? Nobody tell my brother I want one.

Especially if they have a model with all of the performance options with none of the luxury ones. That's why I love my Rx8 R3, Forged aluminum wheels, Recaro seats with no electronic/heater crap to weight it down, no sunroof, stiffer chassis braces, great handling yet spine crushing suspension, manual lights, manual climate control, it's exactly made for me. Except that stupid key card crap. I hate that thing.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/5/13 8:34 p.m.

OOOOOOHHH, I want a Clubsport

Better shocks, brakes and exhaust

No AC, No Radio, Less sounddeadening, lighter wheels, manual windows, anything to get another 200lbs off this delightful beast

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
12/5/13 8:44 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Seriously, why would you not want to walk out to your driveway and get in this everyday?!?!

Because it's a POS Ford?

OK I'm done trolling now...

vetteracer92
vetteracer92 New Reader
12/5/13 10:09 p.m.

If the thing leaked, shouldn't they fix it?

kanaric
kanaric Reader
12/6/13 2:08 a.m.

twin scroll ecoboost sounds good, when that Mounttune company get's it's "keep the manufacturers warranty" advantage I see near V8 power at less weight and better handling. I would like that. Would be like what everyone wanted from the Hyundai Genesis except with more power, better trans, and lighter. OFC I expect the next-gen Genesis to be fully caught up in all those categories.

I don't even consider Nissan Z cars anymore. They are leagues behind as they are a lesser car than even the 3.8 Genesis, worse 1/4 mile, worse 0-60, worse brakes, worse track times, the Nismo equals it in those categories but then costs near Cayman prices. Buy a genesis, upgrade suspension, get a big brake kit despite starting with superior brakes, still save $1000s over the comparable Z. If your car is worse than a Genesis or on it's leve but costing $10k more you produce something of no value at all. I also don't consider this Mustang to be a camaro fighter. The camaro is a fat old man's 4000lb bloat car mullet ride designed by 1980s asians for the movie Akira. At least it's not really "behind" in terms of anything aside from it's astronomical weight and horrible exaggerated anime styling.

It really has no competition other than upcoming cars so we will have to see what is made to compete with it. I don't see the Japanese companies producing anything that comes near, in terms of cars like this it's pretty much the malaise era of Japanese GT/Pony cars right now. It's even further ridiculous that anything they show on this level they claim is a "supercar" that will be 10s of thousands more, like that insulting hybrid supra.

Ford seems to get middle class enthusiasts. I don't see any other company that does other than Hyundai who is trying really hard to catch up or Mazda who doesn't have a car in this class.

Anyone else surprised that the turbo four and the V6 are so close in terms of power? I have nothing against either engine, and I'm sure the turbo can get a ton of power with mods, but from a purely marketing standpoint, I'm surprised they released 2 engines that on paper make similar power.

It's easy to see why. Some people just don't trust turbos and their reliability or don't want the extra maintanence, the woman who wants an auto-mustang (a large segment of people who buy those cars) will buy the V6.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
12/6/13 7:19 a.m.
Will wrote: Anyone else surprised that the turbo four and the V6 are so close in terms of power? I have nothing against either engine, and I'm sure the turbo can get a ton of power with mods, but from a purely marketing standpoint, I'm surprised they released 2 engines that on paper make similar power.

When looking at the engine offerings in the Edge and Explorer, no, it's not surprising at all. More expected

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/6/13 7:22 a.m.

I think a version of the turbo 6 that Ford makes should be available. I understand that it would step on the toes of the 5.0, but I have a solution for that. Turbo 5.0!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/13 7:23 a.m.

Are these going to have that stupid sequential turn signal like the last one? For some reason that make me want to punch babies.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/6/13 7:49 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Hope so. I happen to like those.

Amusingly, before the updated car was released, I had seen a couple of '05 versions with aftermarket versions.

I'm looking forward to looking at this car closely at the NYIAS this spring.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/6/13 7:53 a.m.

Here's a pretty good article with more details on the car, including the engines, trans, suspension, options, etc... And yes, 93EXCIVIC, it will have sequential turn signals.
http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-features/2015-mustang-updates-from-los-angeles-reveal/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/13 8:00 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Damn! Hopefully someone on the aftermarket will come up with a way to make them not do that.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
12/6/13 8:05 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I think a version of the turbo 6 that Ford makes should be available. I understand that it would step on the toes of the 5.0, but I have a solution for that. Turbo 5.0!

But seriously... Ford, do this. Embrace the snails.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/6/13 8:21 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Damn! Hopefully someone on the aftermarket will come up with a way to make them not do that.

This sounds to me like a personal problem. If you like, I can provide your life with more important things to worry about.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/13 8:24 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Damn! Hopefully someone on the aftermarket will come up with a way to make them not do that.
This sounds to me like a personal problem. If you like, I can provide your life with more important things to worry about.

True but it is only thing that really turns me off from the current Mustang and I wouldn't mind one for a toy on day if I could fix that.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/6/13 8:25 a.m.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/6/13 8:27 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
True but it is only thing that really turns me off from the current Mustang and I wouldn't mind one for a toy on day if I could fix that.

What about it bothers you? Seriously, I'd like to know.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BXjTH2mXnf5jHvpOhd2od5sI0NdEmFyfYxwyyoLYZH9EFNkY8XaJfVRNnNsJ5p1r