Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/9/13 12:14 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I think the sequential lights are the only thing I like about any rustang built after 1978. Probably because they come from way back in the day on mercury's. I like old things.

I like them, too, and ADDED them to my '06 GT.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/9/13 12:27 p.m.

It looks like there is an extra foot or so of sheet metal aft of the rear wheels. Looks a bit like a cross between a Hyundai and a G35 with a dash of Aston Martin thrown in, but after looking at the various views on the Ford website, I actually sorta like it. Kudos for finally getting rid of those non-functional fake scoops along the flanks that have been plaguing Mustangs for the past 49 years.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/9/13 12:44 p.m.

The nose isn't quite long enough and the rear is too long.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/9/13 12:47 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

The rear overhang was shortened from that of the current mustang.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/9/13 12:59 p.m.

I'm fine w/ the '05-'09 GTs, the '11s and '12 earn forgiveness for the larger rear simply because of the Coyote.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/9/13 2:18 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Kudos for finally getting rid of those non-functional fake scoops along the flanks that have been plaguing Mustangs for the past 49 years.

You mean the slight bodyline? I don't count that as a fake scoop.

And Fox mustangs didn't even have that...

neither did the '70-73 Mustangs...

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/9/13 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

And most of the 65-66's only had the line there.....some(not that many) had add on packages had scoops though.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/9/13 2:49 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Only the 66 Shelby's had side scoops of any kind, and those were functional. Mustangs could get a little chrome trim piece in 66, but it was not in any way a scoop.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/9/13 2:52 p.m.

66 mustang with trim:

66 Shelby with functional brake cooling scoop:

AverageH
AverageH Reader
12/9/13 2:59 p.m.

Yeah, I hope the fake scoops everywhere don't come back; especially those taped on quarter window scoops. The less Tupperware the better. That was getting way out of hand.
I like the rims and that they are flush with the fenders. Glad they aren't doing the retro torque-thrust look. Those are overplayed like minilights, except minilights actually look good. I will admit that the current pics make it look better than the Autoweek pics.

-Hamid

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/9/13 3:27 p.m.

Below is a picture of a 2013 Mustang GT. Specifically what scoops were "getting out of hand"?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
12/9/13 3:56 p.m.

I'll chime in to say that seeing the new one "official" makes me want it even more.

I'm in no position to actually buy one, but I would if I could.

It would be neat as a couple years advance if they offer some "track pack" equivalent package upgrades, even if they don't call it an SVO or whatever, I love that the current one can be fit with Brembos/Recaros/3.73's without having to buy the glassroof luxo premium BS. I'd love to see the new one optioned similarly.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/9/13 3:57 p.m.

Anybody handy with photoshop? I'd like to see the rear end of it color matched to the rest of the car, instead of black.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/9/13 5:18 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: I'll chime in to say that seeing the new one "official" makes me want it even more. I'm in no position to actually buy one, but I would if I could. It would be neat as a couple years advance if they offer some "track pack" equivalent package upgrades, even if they don't call it an SVO or whatever, I love that the current one can be fit with Brembos/Recaros/3.73's without having to buy the glassroof luxo premium BS. I'd love to see the new one optioned similarly.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/9/13 7:17 p.m.

I really hope the ecoboost is under 25k when it comes out.

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/9/13 7:50 p.m.
T.J. wrote: It looks like there is an extra foot or so of sheet metal aft of the rear wheels. Looks a bit like a cross between a Hyundai and a G35 with a dash of Aston Martin thrown in, but after looking at the various views on the Ford website, I actually sorta like it. Kudos for finally getting rid of those non-functional fake scoops along the flanks that have been plaguing Mustangs for the past 49 years.

Hyundai?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
12/10/13 8:18 a.m.

Saw one in traffic today. It was a test car in camouflage. Only caught a quick glimpse of the back end, the taillights are what caught my attention. That rear bumper sticks out too far...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/10/13 8:22 a.m.

I just came in here to say- 2.3 Ecoboost+IRS+Mustang? SVO is back! I just need a build sheet now.....

Rupert
Rupert Reader
12/10/13 8:29 a.m.

Well I have to admit this Mustang looks better than expected. The closer it gets to copying the 240Z the better it looks! Still too big in the nose and hood, but getting there.

Wow they even went with IRS! Will wonders never cease!

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/10/13 8:37 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
I need a minute...

Needs more NASCAR style ducktail. Seriously.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 10:02 a.m.
Storz wrote: I really hope the ecoboost is under 25k when it comes out.

I'm guessing right around $28-30k......the v6 will still be cheaper than it.

At 30k with the PP, it would be a tough choice for me versus the envy green fiesta st I've been considering.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/10/13 10:51 a.m.

While it looks like the rear is longer, it's not. The rear bumper is no farther out than the current car, and to me, looks thinner and less bulky. The nose and hood is the way it is due to Euro pedestrian regulations, in order to provide crush space to that 5.0 engine. And again, it's really no bigger than the current car, or any of the classic Mustangs.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

The rear overhang is shorter than the current car. Overall the car is shorter, wider and lower than it's predecessor. However, it is definitely bigger than classic mustangs!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/10/13 11:37 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Its shocking how much smaller the original mustangs really are. I miss my '65....even if it was only a 200 I6 coupe.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
12/10/13 11:44 a.m.

Yeah, about 8" shorter and narrower than the 2015.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P3twLItUCpvUtBxDIAvs2YX0HQUbnFATh55iJlwUkwhK3PhKJRCirMsvJHq5I16A